"Easily reloadable"?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

"Easily reloadable"?

Post by awp101 »

This comment caught my eye in the .35 Rem thread and rather than hijack that thread I figured I'd start this one. :mrgreen:

I suppose my first question is: What does it mean when a cartridge is "easily reloadable"?

Easy physically? Easy to find a good load for? (Of course that depends on your definition of "a good load") Easy to find components for?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: "Easily reloadable"?

Post by Old Ironsights »

Straight Wall or shallow neck = easier to reload than tapered or steeply necked.

.35 Rem's neck isn't all that bad and the .35 hole is easy to fill.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Easy physically? Easy to find a good load for? (Of course that depends on your definition of "a good load") Easy to find components for?
All of the above. And maybe we should add that's it's not overly fussy
concerning case length or charge weights.

-Stretch
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

stretch wrote:
All of the above. And maybe we should add that's it's not overly fussy
concerning case length or charge weights.

-Stretch

Don't destroy any cases during the resizing, bullet seating process?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

For me, "easily re-loadable" means that I'm not going to have a problem finding components, that the components aren't inherently problematic and that there is sufficient load data that I don't have to learn yet another foreign language to research the data. It might also mean that the firearms aren't usually so out of kilter compared to the currently available components that I have to re-manufacture some in order to have usable ammunition. In short, all the things you mentioned.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

OK, so far all of this makes sense. What else falls into that category besides the .35 Rem and the .45-70 AFA rifle cartridges go?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

awp101 wrote:OK, so far all of this makes sense. What else falls into that category besides the .35 Rem and the .45-70 AFA rifle cartridges go?
You should ask rather what doesn't fall into that category... Lots fewer responses.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"Easy" to reload might also include:

a. Headspaces on the rim
b. Not such a bottleneck, high-pressure round that it is 'touchy' about minor component changes
c. Not fragile brass (like the non-Starline .32-20's are, among others)
d. Gun action-type is strong, extracts well, and not semiautomatic
e. Only one 'version' so no issues like ".308 vs. .311" barrels to deal with
f. Only one 'vintage' so you can just use "standard" loads
g. Can use a wide variety of powders and get decent/safe results
h. Most powders fill at least half the case (making double-charging impossible)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Hobie wrote:
awp101 wrote:OK, so far all of this makes sense. What else falls into that category besides the .35 Rem and the .45-70 AFA rifle cartridges go?
You should ask rather what doesn't fall into that category... Lots fewer responses.
Fair enough. :lol:

I suppose .22 Hornet doesn't make the list... :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

one thing that's easier with 35's is the step where you check the cases for the powder level - it's a lot easier to see into a 35 Rem case than a 30-30. I'd hate to try it with a .223 or .243.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

awp101 wrote:
Hobie wrote:
Fair enough. :lol:

I suppose .22 Hornet doesn't make the list... :lol:
I think the .22 Hornet is easily reloadable. On the other hand, the .22 Savage Hi-Power doesn't seem to be. Brass and bullets can be problematic in sourcing, size, etc., the rifles have "interesting" features which inhibit good shooting, and all the stuff is expensive. One can shoot a .22 Savage Hi-Power in any .223 Remington with a 1:9" twist rate barrel. That is, one can duplicate the load without all the problems. Thus the .223 Rem is easily reloadable, the .22 Savage Hi-Power isn't.

The .45-75 WCF is a lot more easily reloadable than it was 5 years ago. Component availability was the big bugaboo.
Sincerely,

Hobie

alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I agree with all of the above, though compared to the regulars I am a babe in the reloading woods.

For me, easy reload means straight-walled cases, large enough caliber that getting powder into the hole isn't a chore, wide variety of powders and/or loads available (cowboy loads to full power, various bullet weights), enough powder charge such that 0.1-0.2 grains either way doesn't really matter, and easy to find components. For me, that means .44 spl/mag, 45-70 and .38/.357. I haven't yet done any necked cases or rifle calibers; I find 9mm and .380 to be a PITA compared to .44, though I do 9mm regularly. Of course, realize that I use a handpress and dippers, mostly, though I use the scale for fast powders in the 9mm. Oh yeah, ... one last note ... no roll crimp. Lee FCD only for me.

Just as an aside, why does it seem easier to deprime/size a .44 mag case than a 9mm case?
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Have been loading 22 hornet for 30 plus years; have only crushed 1 case, but have pinched my fingers more times than i care to remember. Sometimes the smaller bullets are pain to hold in place, especially when you are having a "fat finger" day.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I have noticed my 35 Rem necks splitting at the mouth when flared, and this rarely happens with other calibers. I have used both Remington and Winchester brass.

Steve that's quite a setup just to peer inside a case. What might work better is one of those colonoscopy cameras. Just stick it in and photograph the inside of the case. I understand they are pretty cheap on the used market.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Too me all cals are are easy as long as you have dies and bullets and most important in some of the odd ball cal's is brass.
The Smallest I have loaded is 25-20 and they are easy smaller hands would be a good thing though. The biggest is .375 H&H and .404 the .404 was very hard to find bullets for until Hornady started making them.
Now don't get me started on shotshell reloading :oops: I always have trouble to get a nice looking crimp.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

easy=. straight wall modern revolver-- most all guns have the same tolerences, easily obtainable components, and about every bullet/powder combination shoots good.

medium=most bottle neck cartridges in the modern calibers/guns that operate at high pressures.

hard=obsolete calibers in antique guns (pre 1900 or so) where brass/dies/bullets/loading information is hard to find/expensive, brass need to be reformed and bullets need to be cast. Add to that the varying tolerences, groove diameters, unknown history (have previous high pressure loads made this gun unsafe?) What kind of steel were these made from? You have to know what your doing before you play with these

There's about 12 million variables that fit "in between the lines" here.

Hey, there's about 10,000 books you need to start reading. :D ----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Hanzerik
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hanzerik »

I only reload .45ACP and .44Mag so I would consider both of them very easy to reload. Straight walled, lots of bullets choices, and same powder can be used for both to a point (Bullseye and Unique), never tried 2400 in .45ACP. Lots of load data for both, but I think I have found a bullet (and got the mold) for my .44Mags that will serve for everything I'll ever need to do RD 432-265. I may end up getting a .45 mold and maybe a lighter weight .44 mold for plinking.

I never reloaded when I owned an AR and a couple AKs. My current guns do everything I need them to do for both self defense and hunting. Plus is saves money on buying components. And ammo commonality between my pistol (Ruger .44Mag SBH) and rifles (2ea .44Mag Levers) is a nice thing also. I wouldn't mind getting something like a Marlin Camp Carbine, or one of the other carbines in .45ACP. Would make a nice addition to go with my 1911 Carry piece.

One of these days I'll get a 45/70 which I would have to say is a tapered case, but from my understanding is not mush different then straight walled cases when it comes to reloading. I just don't have the money right now to have a bunch of different calibers.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

By straight wall do folks mean no case taper or not bottle necked? I know what I consider "straight walled" but what do the reloading cognoscenti say?

There's a reason I'm asking these basic questions... :wink:

Thanks everyone! :mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

awp101 wrote:By straight wall do folks mean no case taper or not bottle necked? I know what I consider "straight walled" but what do the reloading cognoscenti say?
I am not an expert, nor have I stayed at a Holiday Inn, but I include the .45-70 in the "straight-walled" category, even though it's tapered. There's no difference I can see in the deprime/size ease between the .45-70 and the .44 mag/special. So, for me, I mean not bottle-necked.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Well, I was "raised" to think of the .45-70 and .38-55 as straight cases, which they aren't, but have changed to think of any case which I can resize in a carbide die sans lube is a straight case. Yes, those are easier to load in that respect but I don't think that lubing a case makes it harder to load. I don't consider physical effort in that "easily reloadable" formula. Some brass requires a number of steps to prepare the first time, I don't think that takes the cartridge out of the "easily reloadable" class.
Sincerely,

Hobie

txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I started off with a 38 special lee loader,single cav lee bullet mold ,lee cookie cutter sizer kit and a coleman stove :lol: .it has turned into a garage full of "stuff" & "stuff" in the shed.they are all easy to reload if you have the right "stuff" :lol: .its like getting hooked on crack but it goes bang and your next fix is the at the local gun shop.
DAV life member.