Reloaders-bullet inventory count................

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Reloaders-bullet inventory count................

Post by Boreman »

I was trying to determine the number of bullets I have on hand,when I realized I really did not have any kind of inventory from which to figure out what I was short on. So I spent the better part of 3 evenings going through my bullet supply one box or counting one bullet at a time. I was in for a suprise.I reload for 31 different cartridges in 17 different calibers. I now have a reasonable handle on the bullet count(10,752) not counting bullets in loaded ammo.
I am trying to decide how to keep track of the bullets. Do you keep the inventory count only those bullets in boxes? Do you change the inventory when loaded or shot? How do the forum members keep track or maybe you don't keep a count. What say you?????????????? :? :?
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Re: Reloaders-bullet inventory count................

Post by Kansas Ed »

Seems I have thousands of bullets, but for some reason I'm always out of what I happen to be getting ready to load for...LOL.

My more immediate problem is that once I find a bullet I like, it either gets discontinued or the company closes shop. For instance, I finally found the best cast bullets I've ever shot...Glenhills...and a month or so ago, they quit selling bullets. Now I need to order from Leadheads, as I'm afraid that his age will cause him to close up soon too. Same way with the Barnes Originals..they were great for several calibers, but jumped on the all copper bandwagon and discontinued many of their original line. I used to order the Remington 100gr 32-20 Soft Nose bullets, but Rem. quit selling them...dandy deer bullet too. Sigh. Now I'm afraid to shoot my precious stash of bullets very much for fear I'll run out.

I guess the moral of my story is...buy when you can, and as much as you can afford at the time.

Ed
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Years ago I started trying to keep track of both loaded ammunition as well as components. My goals was to work towards a minimum "inventory" for each caliber I shot, based on the number of firearms I have for a given caliber and how often I shot it, as well as then having the appropriate amount of components to support the different calibers. I loaded everything into an Excel spreadsheet. I was happy; life was good.

Unfortunately, I didn't keep track of what was coming in or going out as thoroughly as I should have. I lost discipline. This irritated me to no end because I realized that I was pretty close, but not 100% accurate.

So, over Christmas break I spend several hours over several days doing a thorough - and I mean thorough - inventory of my loaded ammunition - both factory and reloads. I know have a list down to the round. Each box is marked with a sticker showing that it is "in inventory" and I'm committed to keeping up with it this time. I still need to load it all in Excel (I did the actual updated inventory by hand on lined paper). Next up will be components - I just don't know when.

I find this not only gives me a good feeling knowing that I really know what I have, but also lets me know where I should focus future purchases and reloading time - prioritizing those efforts.

I know, some will say I am over-thinking it. Maybe, but that's just the way I am.
wavetrain75
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wavetrain75 »

When I need anything like that counted I run into the local Fastenal store and they throw in on the counting scale. Takes about a minute.

Maybe keep the empty primer boxes and label them with the caliber loaded, then you're subtracting 100 off your known total.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

I just take an inventory once a year. Put it on a clip board with graph paper and update as I use them. Pull 50, of whatever, (ex:35 cal Seer FP 180's) note it on the clip board and re-order when I get below 1K. Very simple math, as I always load in batches of 10, 25, 50 or 100.

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

I do the same. What I did was to list by calibre, then how many unopened boxes, by manufacturer, weight, nose profile. Any in open boxes are counted as “loose” with an actual count or approximation of number remaining.

Fur ‘zample:

.44 Spec’l./Magnum

Berry 240g FP plated 2 boxes of 250 each + 47 loose

Midway 240g JSP bulk bullets 1 box of 500

I also did the same with my powder supply.

Found out that I had approx. 6500 + bullets and about 20 lbs of Smokeless powder plus a few cans of Black Powder that will need to be re-stocked for 2011 Shooting Season.

I keep the Master List on the computer, with a hard copy in the home office and on the reloading bench. I make pencil corrections as I use the supplies and periodically update the master list and print updated hard copies.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Some of the newer medications out there are very effective for Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder... :lol:

...but I don't take them either. :wink:

I use plastic 'bins' that are about a gallon in size, and each one has a 'caliber':

.223, .243, .270, .284, .308, .312, .338, .357, .429., .452, .458, .500 could each get their own bin, but only the underlined ones have much inventory, because I just don't shoot all that much of the others; 6mm, 7mm, .270, .308 (sadly), .338, and .500 could all fit in one bin with room to spare.

As for 'counting' - nope - I try not to buy 'small lots' unless I'm just fishing for a bullet that works best in a given firearm. Usually, I settle on one main load/bullet, or perhaps two, in a given cartridge, and 95% of my reloads are that recipe. So since my .312 bin only applies to 7.62x39, and I reload that RARELY, and .32-20, I only have three types of bullets there; a couple hundred FMJ spitzer 130 grainers, and a couple hundred JSP 90 grainers for 'hot' .32-20 loads. The rest is 500-1000 'plated' lead 100 grainers because that's just what I shoot usually. I'll buy some when I see the bottom of the bin... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I keep a running tally on bullet boxes and powder containers so I know the quantity remaining, but I don't keep a master inventory. With remaining amounts on each container, it's easy to do that if needed. Primers are too easy to count to bother with that.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I try to keep several hundred of each jacketed bullet on hand but the vast majority of my bullet supply is unmelted in 5 gallon buckets in my shed(or 1ish pound ingots). I do keep track of Primers, Powders, and gas checks though. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I don't keep a count. I just keep my bullets separated and labeled in empty coffee cans. When I see I'm running low I cast some more. Not an extremely organized system, but it has worked for me so far.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have them lined up in caliber order on the shelf. If it looks bare I get more. I load for 28 different cartridges (I think, it might be 30... :?: ) but try to standardize on one or two bullets except when I'm experimenting... I am short bullets for the .45-75 but I cast those. IF I had 100K primers I might feel I had enough. The ammo is in cans on another shelf. The truth is that I could hunt the rest of my life with what I have and there'd be some left over. I'm not so OCD that I need to count these things but keep sharp records on the guns. In fact, as I write this, I WANT to MAKE the raiders sit down and count. It isn't as if they are going to report it correctly.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Pretty much what Hobie said, except I'm currently only loading about 20+ calibers. Could do a lot more since I have the dies on the shelf from past calibers or "just in case". I shoot a lot so I have a lot of components. I'm old enough now, (71) that I probably have enough hunting ammo loaded up for the duration of my time here.
SASS shooting components I have to keep re-supplying but the inventory is mostly in my head although they are all lined up on open shelves where a glance will tell me what I am low on. Looks like I need to buy shot for the black powder, brass shells I use.

M. M.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I think I need to get my .... together....
the only stuff i keep track of is... my shotgun sports stuff...
and thats weekly...
I know I have enough....for now...but nowhere near what you guys have..
The main problem I simply dont have enough room....
2000 sf house and I get 110sf of it...for my home office....
Garage is full of tools, tractor, ATV, and lots of office stuff...
(God forbid we ever put the car in the garage.... :lol: :lol:)
and thats where I reload...and its unbearable in the summer...no ac...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Not so much. When I get low, I cast more. I have a lifetime supply of the ones I don't cast.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Wow! I've been accussed of being anal-retentive, but
some of you fellas put me to shame. :lol:

I've got powder on my powder shelf. When I run low I buy
more. I've got LOTS of primers. I bought an unspeakable
amount after The Great Primer Scare. Bullets are on the bullet
shelf. I stock up when I can afford it or when I run low. I've
got lotsa bullets. Brass is on a set of shelves in labelled coffee cans,
old clear snack barrels (thanks to this forum - I forget who used
the pretzel barrels....), and 5-gallon pails. Brass is labelled as
to it's status - sized, trimmed (and to what length), primer status,
and date.

Loaded ammo is mostly in my ammo cabinet with a lock on
the door. I try to organize it by shelf/caliber. I'm not always
successful, as I once recall (pleasantly!) finding a 1,000 round
box of 9x18 cartridges that I'd forgotten I'd had. Still, I can put
my hand on anything I need in relatively short order.

Handloaded ammo is labelled with all of the pertinenet information.

As I own 6 presses at last count, I've started including in my loading
book notes what equipment was used to do what. Some combinations
work better than others.

Yeah, I could computerize the whole inventory, but life's just too short!

-Stretch
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Right, Steve - the torn geriatric sieve that serves as my short-term memory
ain't what it used to be......
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I keep 'em all in plastic bins. For calibers that I don't load as much, I keep 'em in one of those organizer thingys (pull out trays). I have a rough idea what each one contains and when it gets low, I fire up the furnace. As I reload for 60 calibers (about 25 which are "active") I need some kind of organization :D ------------Sixgun

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well... in comparison... I'm a piker! I only reload for less than a dozen calibers, and probably use less than 3 dz different bullets. And probably have less than 1,000 bullets on hand. I should work at that! But, then again, why put off until tomorrow, what I can put off till the day after tomorrow!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I keep mine in those clear plastic snap-tite trays that are designed for fishing lures. They come inside fishing bags from Walmart. Great for little parts and tools, too. I'm making up a tray just for my extra Winchester 94 parts (and I just got an order in from Browning yesterday).

I probably have 3,000 bullets; I was trying different weights and types and some I will shoot up and not get again. Eventually I'll probably try to keep 1,000-2,000 on hand, in .308 and .357 in the copper coated lead, and 100 or so of the .358 200 grain Sierras. Once I finish my soft lead and Lasercast lead bullets I won't get them again.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

When I was hoarding Marlin's I reloaded every caliber they ever chambered a lever action for except the 45-90 and casted for them all as well !

Now I have gotten rid of all except the 444's and 45-70 ! That makes life somewhat easier except for the fact that I have maybe 36 molds just for the 444 !

I had thoughts of trying to keep 250 bullets cast for each bullet I used . Now I just cast 50-75 every time I get ready to load that bullet and always have a few overs for standby !

Jacketed bullets are a different story . I used to hoard them . Had well over 3 THOUSAND bullets for the 7-30 Waters alone and didn't even own a rifle at the time !

Now I kinda have sold off all I don't use . Most of my jacketed reloading is for bolt actions or Ruger #1's so I'll but 100 at a tyime and they may last me a couple years once I've worked up a load !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !