Anyone have a Winchester 22 Mag takedown levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Anyone have a Winchester 22 Mag takedown levergun

Post by AJMD429 »

What are they like, anyone have pictures of one?

How do they 'take-down' - like the 39a, or a half-twist interrupted thread thing, like the centerfire guns?

What's the going price for one?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anyone have a Winchester 22 Mag takedown levergun

Post by Pete44ru »

Doc, Winchester only made two levergun models in .22 Mag - the ill-fated, post-64, alloy-receivered, solid-frame Model 255/255 Deluxe, and the steel-receivered, takedown Model 9422, later labelled the 9422 Legacy.

The 9422's were issued with a take-down screw through the rear half of the receiver, accessible from the left (non-ejection) side with a common screwdriver.

There's a member, "JRH" over on rimfirecentral, who's a machinist - and makes a large-headed thumbscrew that replaces the issue takedown screw ($20).

http://www.aperturesnmore.com/

I use the custom screw during hunting season.

Although IMHO it looks a lot like the Marlin 39a takedown screw, he also sold me a NOS Uncle Mike's saddle ring, that I leave in the gun for display.

After the screw's pulled out, they don't split into halves, like a Marlin 39a for takedown - the buttstock & lower tang with the trigger group, etc, pull down/back/out from the barreled receiver group.

I've had multiple 9422's, over many years since the late 70's, LR & Mag models - but never ran across the pristine .22 Mag XTR carbine (pic w/saddle ring) until 2 years ago, when I gladly paid $600 for it.

But, they're where/when you can find one, checkered XTR or not, pristine or not - anywhere from $300 to $750, although prices seem to have gone a little soft over the past 12 mos or so.

BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

AJ the only winchester 22 mag takedown I know of was the model 61 and its a pump the 1890 came in 22 WRF or 22 special and a pump also. Since then rossi made a model 62 in 22 mag. danny

My mistake AJ I didnt read levergun.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I also give a big "thumbs up", to Joe Hulett. His reproduction parts & screws are top notch and very reasonably priced.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Pete44ru,
That knurled thumbscrew looks a lot like the one on my Winny pump .22.
I like it and may have to get one for my 9422M. Thanks.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Thanks for the info. One "new in box" for sale locally, and I was just curious.

I'm interested in a 'shooter' not a 'collector piece', though, so the one for sale here is likely far out of what my price range would be.

Too bad the one for sale here is "NIB" instead of a scratch-and-dent one...

They look like nice guns, though!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

What I like best about the 9422 take down screw is that whoever designed the screw had us common folk in mind. A quarter fits the slot perfectly. Or at least it does on my 22LR and my 22 magnum take down 9422. So when you get that occasional jammed shell in the receiver you just need to have some change in your pocket.

I have never had a jammed shell in my 22 magnum. But my 22 LR will occasionally get a shell caught up underneath the carriage. Most times the rfile will still operate. But I like to get that shell out of there. Tom