OT: Differences in Jeep Models

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

OT: Differences in Jeep Models

Post by GonnePhishin »

Can anyone give a brief explanation on the differences between the Jeep Commander and Cherokee (or Grand Cherokee) models?
Are both equally rugged for off road use, reliability issues, etc.
Any info would be appreciated
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: OT: Differences in Jeep Models

Post by Griff »

Other'n Blonde, Brunette & Redhead? Sorry, couldn't resist! :twisted: :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

I can't say, honestly, other than owning a wrangler. I do know, that unless you'd rather have the SUV llook/ride, I'd go with a 4dr wrangler. Off road it will out perfor/outlast the other two combined. That is IF the new wrangler has a body on fram build. Mine was an '01 and it did. HUGE difference in body flex.

I'd suggest talking to someone from Off Road magazine, or JP magazine. They will give a real answer, not a sales pitch. Try JP first. It's dedicated to Jeeps. http://www.jpmagazine.com/tech/index.html
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

My Jeep knowledge is a bit more dated !

CJ-2A , CJ-3A , CJ-3B , CJ-5 and CJ-6 . And maybe the CJ-7/CJ-8 .

I'm pretty much 1972 and earlier :lol:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Another vote for the Wrangler Unlimited.
That thing will climb trees! :D

We had a Grand Cherokee, decent truck but limited clearance.
My Durango is the same way. It can pull a house down but will get stuck in 6" of snow.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

I'm with 6pt I'm a willys man the rest are not for me I drive a 1955 willys cj5 a real jeep.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Real jeeps have flat fenders and no capital letter.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

The Commander is built on the same frame as the Grand Cherokee and it is unquestionably off road worthy, but it's also heavier and has a higher center of gravity than the GC. There's probably a larger after market for the Grand Cherokee than the Commander as far as refitting with custom off-road suspension bits etc. One significant shortcoming of the Wrangler series is the anemic 3.7L Chrysler gas engine. It's no better in the Grand Cherokee or Commander, but at least in the latter two you have a choice of the fine Chrysler Hemi gas engine or the adequate 4.7L V8. Another disadvantage of the Commander vs. the Grand Cherokee is that is has much less forgiving approach and departure angles. An effort has been made to keep the GC very off road worthy, and while the Commander shares underpinnings there's no getting around the fact that its' off road prowess has been compromised for more family friendly hauling.

Regarding engines, I've got the 6.1L Hemi in my Grand Cherokee and all I can say is, "Giddyup!!" The 5.7L Hemi is no doubt just fine.

Best,
Oly
Last edited by olyinaz on Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I have a 2002 WJ (Grand Cherokee) Overland model. I put a 3" lift on it and new exhaust. That thing will go anywhere! Love the Quadradrive. Having said that, something like the Rubicon model is going to be more adept/agile in off-road driving (smaller wheel base, etc.). As said before, the engine is a little anemic.

I got the GC because I'm still a family guy. If I weren't I might have gone the Wrangler route, though the GC provides more room, more towing capacity, more refinement (e.g., insulation for those cold days), etc. The Laredo is basically a GC without some of the enhancements (e.g., leather seats, dual A/C controls, etc.).

The Commander is a 7-passenger vehicle, and although I like the looks, the tires are anemic, road clearance is less, and the front room (I have longer legs) is less than the GC since they squeezed in a third row. I do like the dash setup though.

Any Jeep is off-road worthy. If you are going rock hopping, get a Wrangler (probably an older one with a tuned drive-train/transmission), but for most other purposes any Cherokee or Grand Cherokee will suffice.
Last edited by alnitak on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Thanks for the information. I know the Wrangler is for serious off roading, but I am in the market for a used SUV that doesn't rattle yer' teeth loose (like a real Jeep Wrangler).
I've kind of got my eyes on the Grand Cherokee or a Toyota FJ Cruiser.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

My first jeep is a '48 Willys CJ-2A that my bro in law and dad in law rebuilt for me. I supplied the money to buy the jeep and necessary repair parts, and they provided the mechanical know how. My second jeep is a '99 Wrangler with a hard top that I got last summer for $900.00, mostly because it didn't run very good. Again, I found and bought it, and turned my bro in law loose on it. It runs great now.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

UncleBuck said
"...I've kind of got my eyes on the Grand Cherokee or a Toyota FJ Cruiser."

IMHO, get the Grand Cherokee, much (much) classier vehicle...and I'm kinda a Toyota (products) guy generally. FJ a major disappointment in my encounters. Horridly cheap, hard black or gray plastic everywhere, uncomfortable interior, abominable outward (esp rear/over shoulder 3/4) visibility. Off road capable and "legendary Toyota reliable" though it may be, but at a real cost. It's a "toy," play on words intended. Amazing it's as popular as it is--but it's a (very successful) marketing concoction. One of Toyota's shameful mis-steps, again IMHO. You don't sense opinionated here do you? :)
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I owned a 79 CJ5 for many years. It was the last year from the factory with the gear driven Spicer transfer case, and Ford Truck 4 speed transmission. IMHO, it was toughter then most of the stuff that has came after it.

I own a 02 Grand C. I bought it used with 19,000 miles on it. It has 163,000 in it now. I have had to work on it, some over the years, but I recond it's been really a pretty good car, but with the lower ground clearance, and plastic body parts, I would not take it where I did that old CJ5, but the GC is a much better highway rig, by far.

The wheel wells are small on the GC and under the right conditions of snow and ice, they will fill up, and practically shut you down, until one gets out and beats the frozen ice out and away from the tires.

As far as I am concerned, the GC is not as dependable, in some ways. This new high tech electronical stuff, like crank sensors, and that funky thing that spans all of the spark plugs on my engine can quite you without warning, and you are stuck right there. I have had it happen. But the most agrivating thing on the GC is the power windows. They have this child protection break away clip on the window regulators, that can break real easy, and the window will fall down. The dealer, or shall I say stealer, will charge you 400 dollars to fix it, and I have had my driver's side window break once, my front passenger's window break twice, and my left rear window break once. This is ripoff and should have been better designed, but it brings money into the dealerships when they fix them.

I paid them to fix the first one, I bought the regulator and fixed the second one, myself for under $200.00, on the last two, I just said to heck with it, and took the side pannel off and raised the window up and shot a screw into the track to keep it up, and decided I don't need a working window on those locations. This is not just an issolated problem with my GC, it's all over the web if you search for it, and is a major complaint with the GC.

Other then that, it's a pretty good rig, for a family car, that can go in pretty bad weather, but I wouldn't take it into the rough country, because body parts are expensive, and ground clearance is too low to get over a lot of stuff, and deep mud would bottom it out. Some years the bottom will fall out of the dirt road I live on, after a thaw, and the ruts are so deap that my little GC will not get through, but my old tall boy 1983 F250 can still power through, and get me to work and back.
Last edited by Lastmohecken on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

The new Grand Cherokee's are unit body construction. They are not body on frame trucks. You will not be able to make any mods cheaply on them ….if at all. And if you bend the truck off roading, I don't know if you can fix it because it's basically one big welded piece. It makes a great car though. :D
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

You need to go to http://www.jeep.com , But buy after Sept 011 when the 012 models are out.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I offer My experience with Jeep.Your mileage may differ.
2005 bought new Liberty V-6,6 speed manual.manual transfer case.
Jeeps warrenty 7yr/70,000mi warrenty,$100 deductible each time.
I ride a motorcycle to work all summer the Liberty now has 64,000 mi.
I do not mudbog or beat it,sometimes use the trailer to haul some wood or coal.
rear differential pinion oil seal leaked.
rear drive shaft u-joint had to be replaced.
last year the rear mainseal on the crankshaft had to be replaced.
the catalictic converter went bad. it took Jeep 3 monthes to get it in stock.
had a rust issue above the rear window.they patched it twice in 2 years.came back last spring and the Zone supervisor who I could not talk to wanted Me to pay 50%($950) of haveing the roof replaced because there was no hole only heavy rust. I said NO WAY. 3 weeks 3 different times trying to get the rust the size of a dollar bill fixed.
by September last year just before the body rust warrenty experied a hole did rust through and they had it fixed again. the brakes are something I have gotten to know very well.
If I didn't have the bike this thing would have been completly out of warrenty last year and I would have had to shell out about $3000 out of My pocket last year alone.
Buyer Beware.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

From what I understand, the Wrangler (I have a 2008) and now the Liberty have "true" 4-wheel drive. That is, when you put it in 4, all 4 wheels receiver power. http://www.jeep.com/en/4x4/how_systems_ ... mand_trac/

I don't think that the Comander has "true" 4-wheel drive - I think that you only get 2 at a time with power going to the wheels with traction? Something like that... http://www.jeep.com/en/4x4/how_systems_ ... adra_trac/

Ah - depends on what drive option you actually have...

I would suggest paying close attention to the actual system that you are buying - they are different - I prefer the command trac myself for a jeep. But for the "luxury" models, I'd go with the quadra tracII or better...

I really like my Wrangler nad my old Cherokee went for 230K before we let it go...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Work bought three Wranglers......Stop and go meter reading rigs. They are not holding up well at all. From the very begining, they were nothing but trouble. 6 cyl and got maybe 9mpg.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Any reason it HAS to be a jeep? IIWM, I'd look at the Toyota 4runners or something similar and avoid jeep products altogether.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

cnjarvis wrote:Any reason it HAS to be a jeep? IIWM, I'd look at the Toyota 4runners or something similar and avoid jeep products altogether.
Blasphemy!

My Wrangler is doing great. It's got the 3.7 L engine but it's also a 6 speed manual.

Stop and go meter reading is not something I'd want a Wrangler for... unless it's in chronically snowy or rugged access areas.

Jeeps are what they are.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jeeps! N :D ext To Winchesters & Colts, they are my favorite subject. The Commander is a heavy job thats bad on gas. I would pick the GC everytime. My wife drives an '05 GC and so far-so good. It only has like 20G miles on it. I currently have an '89 YJ Wrangler Islander named "Old Yeller" which is my daily driver. My gunshow/shootin' match/mountain hunting jeep is an '05 Rubicon.

My sister has a GC and a 2010 Sahara JK. My son has a 2010 4 door Rubicon. We are a Jeep family and must say, we like 'em all. Dependable, but nothing to brag about in gas milage.

BTW, the newer TJ & JK model Wranglers from '96 on have a much better ride than the older CJ and YJ models. Instead of the leaf springs, they all have the coils. They also are much quieter riding.

My pick for the ride, dependability, ease of self maintaining is a TJ/JK Wrangler made from '96 on.--------------Sixgun

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

O.S.O.K. wrote:
cnjarvis wrote:Any reason it HAS to be a jeep? IIWM, I'd look at the Toyota 4runners or something similar and avoid jeep products altogether.
Blasphemy!

My Wrangler is doing great. It's got the 3.7 L engine but it's also a 6 speed manual.

Stop and go meter reading is not something I'd want a Wrangler for... unless it's in chronically snowy or rugged access areas.

Jeeps are what they are.
Blasphemy it may be but when the owner of three reputable auto repair shops tells me to avoid them, I listen. Chrysler products are known to have tranny problems and I had a coworker whose grand Cherokee's rear diff cratered at 53k.

For me, Toyota represents a far better value.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

gak-thanks for the info on the FJ Cruiser quality. They are quite a bit of money and while I haven't look at 'em in person, I'll take your word about it.

cnjarvis- No, it doesn't have to be a Jeep product, so I'll take a look at the 4 runner. I personally never liked Chrysler products and was always a GM fan in the 60's and 70's and lately it's been Ford. I don't like the Ford Escape cause to me it's a SUV for taking the kids to school.

Blessings to all :D

gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Uncle Buck wrote
"gak-thanks for the info on the FJ Cruiser quality. They are quite a bit of money and while I haven't look at 'em in person, I'll take your word about it."

My comments are specific to the FJ and not Toyota products in general, including the 4Runner. I think you might verify the FJ yourself, as obviously millions of buyers disagree with me. I think they were duped by marketing hype, but that's just me! (apparently) I was just very disappointed in the thing, as it had (and hopefully has in future iterations) such potential as a concept. Sometimes it's the small stuff that makes you look at the large stuff in a different light. For instance, the seats, and more specifically headrests will just infuriate you (some will blame the new fed regs, but others don't seem to be nearly as bad) and make you want to push it off a cliff. (If the seats don't have airbags in them--dont know--I'd junk them for a set of used Recaros--or anything) That and the stupidly blinding upper rear quarter panels...just symbolic of the whole concocted mess. Toyota can do much better than this. For serious "family 4x4'ing," or a serious hunting vehicle, I like the 4 door Wrangler (or GC if you have the $) but don't have the experience others have with it to talk reliability. So, if Toy shopping get a 4Runner, equip it with some top tires (not jacked) if not there already, and enjoy.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Sixgun, is that Rubicon a sissyfied version of the CJ-7? Bought a brand new '81 CJ-7 (in '81,all black, soft top, steel doors, 4.0 straight six, five speed manual), the bugger changed the name of a small bluff parralleling a county road right at the turn off to the Trolley Tap (a local gin mill). The name is now is called the "Jeep Jump". Cutting across through a field right along a stand of trees pointed you directly across the road from the parking lot of the Trolley. Hitting the lip at exactly 69 MPH would launch over the county road, clear the trolley tracks, and gave you just enough time to slam on the brakes to come to a complete stop right at the back door of the saloon. 71 MPH and you were sliding down the embankment just past the door and hopefully not getting your Jeep washed in Phantom Lake. 67 MPH would not carry clear over the trolley tracks, your rear wheels would hit the top of the far end of the culvert and flip you over on your top...happened a couple of times to a few acquaintances. Never busted mine up though, looked as good as new five years later, just had the frame rails straightened a few times...try that with a unibody. We used toyota's to fill in the low spots cause their roofs were well designed to flatten nicely. Their frames would break really, really easily too. The Jeeps didn't. The old original Bronco's handled the Jeep Jump ok, but the newer ones had a tendency to slam into the bar too often. Probably carried too much weight and the semi independent suspension made the things pull to one side when they landed.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Old Time Hunter,
I see you have had lots of fun with the old CJ's. :D Crazy fun like we did in our youth :D

Nothing made in the past even comes close to the new Rubicon. Nothin' personal to your old CJ's. :D They come standard with .410 gears in Dana 44's--front and back, 6 speed trans, slip yoke eliminator, lockers--front and back, bullet proof transfer case with high and low range with the low range being 4-1. Coil springs with air conditioning and a kick-butt heater make the ride a lot more comfortable.

The day after I brought it home and after driving it about 200 miles, I ripped out the back seat, sawed off the stainless muffler and replaced it with a stainless Borla. Installed a 1" body life with a 2 and 1/2" suspension lift, K&N air filter, 33" Goodyear MTR's, rear tire carrier & bumper, Warn front bumper and a few creature comforts inside including an alarm system thats second to none. Why I did that (alarm) I just don't know as I never use it. A .45 works better :D

This thing will climb a wall, go upside down and back again. One time I drove it from New York to England, across the English Channel, into France & Germany. Then I turned North into Norway and over the North Pole and home again :D For real, it will "just about " climb a wall. With the transfer case in Low 1 and the trans in 1st gear with the engine doing 3000 rpm's, it moves along at about 1 mile an hour :D ---------------Sixgun

Old Yeller About 160,000 miles on her

Old Yeller's license plate

Rubi's plate

GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Old time Hunter, I'm really surprised that you lived to be called "Old Time," after all of that activity :o

GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Sixgun, Roughly how much money are we talking brand new for the Rubicon?
Also, isn't there a 4 door version, or am I mistaken?

Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Actually Sixgun, I am kinda jealous, really like that Rubicon.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I was looking at the wrangler unlimited and a couple of things dissapointed me:

1. push button door handles- hard for my wife to open- she has arthritis badly in her hands
2. Why have jeep continued the obsolescent 'command trac' 4x4 system on this model when more and more 4x4's are moving to full time 4x4 or systems like the excellent Mitsubishi system that enables you to shift from 2-4 on the fly and use 4x4 on low traction paved roads where you anticipate snow and ice.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The new ones are okay if thats what a person wants !

But this person would prefer a nicely restored 46-48 CJ-2A or a nice restored 55-64 CJ-5 8)

If I want a Jeep with all the stuff that the new ones come with I'll purchase a Chevy pickup truck :wink:
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey Sixgun! Strange, I have an 03 Rubicon with a 2 1/2 suspention and 1 1/4 bodylift, 33x10.50 BFG MT's. Just sold my 97 TJ daily driver to my Dad, and my wife drives an 04 GC.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Never to be forgotten, the patriarch they all originated from… :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

casastahle wrote:Never to be forgotten, the patriarch they all originated from… :wink:

Uuuuhhh yeah and the old MB/GPW is nice also :lol:
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

6pt-sika wrote:
casastahle wrote:Never to be forgotten, the patriarch they all originated from… :wink:

Note: I did say "patriarch" :D
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

casastahle wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:

Note: I did say "patriarch" :D

Your pic reminds me of things I did in my old 78 CJ-5 8)
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Old Win.! Like that Rubi. :D I see you have the drop links which is another thing I forgot to mention on mine.We should change the name of this site to Jeeps.com!

Old time Hunter---Long story on the price. I paid 24 and sunk another 5 into it and thats me doing the work.

My son's 4 door Rubicon. He runs 35 inch tires and .538 gears. His will drive over mine :D -----Sixgun

alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Sixgun wrote: My son's 4 door Rubicon. He runs 35 inch tires and .538 gears. His will drive over mine :D -----Sixgun

I like!! :mrgreen:
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey Sixgun, I really freaked when I saw the pic of your dooryard/garage. It looked like a mirror image of ours. I just showed my wife and she couldn't believe it. I've been into jeeps forever but never joined jeep forum. I'll see if I can find a similar pic. Your son's jeep looks cool. Little more fender clearance on the JK's. It's weird how much all of us here have in common.

As for you guy's with the older CJ's, I started with a 59 CJ5.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

For Sixgun and Oldwin: despite the issues I have had with My Liberty the thing goes down the road like it's on rails.even in wet slushy snow it holds the road well even on the freeway. how do these new Wrangler/Rubicons do on the road at speed? are the heaters in the new ones good? I swore off of the CJ series after the winter of 77-78 here. durn near froze to death everyday trying to get to work when it was below zero, the defroster was lucky to clear a 2' hole in the windshield.Thanks.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

do this with a liberty and you find its guts all over the road. :lol: my sister bought one and it has been a pita since day one.

DAV life member.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

45 Colt,

As rule the wider and longer it is the better it will be on the road but this will be a tradeoff in tight woods. I miss CJ-5's in the woods. The heaters in the TJ's (97-06) and JK's (07-present) are lightyears ahead of the old CJ's. Especially if you leave the carpets in. Unless you are into SERIOUS wheeling a Rubicon is a waste of money. You are paying for things you will never use. It's not a wheels and graphics package. It all depends what you expect as to how good they drive. I ran TJ's every day for 11 years and travel 55 miles to work one way. I think they're awesome but I'm pretty rough. HAHA! If you spent much time in a CJ it will seem like a Cadillac. No more scraping the inside of the windshield while trying to shift and steer!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

txpete wrote:do this with a liberty and you find its guts all over the road. :lol: my sister bought one and it has been a pita since day one.
So where’s the “MODEL” in those pictures??? :P
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

casastahle wrote:
txpete wrote:do this with a liberty and you find its guts all over the road. :lol: my sister bought one and it has been a pita since day one.
So where’s the “MODEL” in those pictures??? :P
151 :lol:
DAV life member.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

TXpete,maybe I'm missin something but pullin that chopper on paved level ground don't seem much of a challange. :? . read My post on page one as I have had My issues with Jeep.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Texas Pete,
Like Old Win. says, the heaters in the TJ's and JK's are kick-butt. I drove my Rubi up to the Allentown show today and I must say, the heater blew me out. Had to leave it on about half way. Mine's a soft top with hard top doors which is fine for heat and noise. The full softtop models are noisier than heck. My old 89 YJ might as well not even have a heater. Even the dog runs back in the house when I say, "lets take a ride in "Old Yeller". Our outside cats use Old Yeller as a place to sleep as there's more holes in that than Swiss cheese....................but its cheap to run, easy to work on, and I don't care what other idiots do to it while I'm in a store, etc. :D -------------------Sixgun

txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

.45colt wrote:TXpete,maybe I'm missin something but pullin that chopper on paved level ground don't seem much of a challange. :? . read My post on page one as I have had My issues with Jeep.
those old army jeeps only had 4 banger engines in them and we could work them all day like that.even the old flat head tugs had to grunt to pull a snake in the hanger.my sister's liberty had major issues and she never pulled anything with it.so I guess my point was they don't make them like that anymore.
DAV life member.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Yep they don't make Nothing like that anymore. OldWin;Sixgun, I had a 64 and a brand new 74 CJ5 when I was a Kid. besides being stone cold in the winter the highway wander they had was terrible.on the icy freeway they always wanted to spin out unless you were just crawling. in three years the 74 was rusting terribly as I rember everyone was talking about the junk steel in the early '70s.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

The older CJ's like the 79 CJ5 I had, were not worth a darn as a highway rig. They were about the most dangerous rig on the road, no matter if it was the 4th of July or the middle of February in a deep snow, and you did need to set up straight and watch yourself on slick roads, as they could swap ends on you in a heartbeat.

All of that being said, mine had, from the factory, a geardriven Spicer transfer case, not the weaker chaindrive ones that came after, and it had a Borg Warner T series 4 speed truck transmission, which is almost the exact same one that is in my old Ford F250. It had a Dana 44 solid straight front axle. So, in the rought, it had guts, and could take punishment, that will literaly tear the guts out of these newer jeeps, but it can't run down the highway, like the newer ones can, because it didn't handle like a car, unlike what has came later.

I sure wish I had kept that old jeep, because I miss it on the farm, but I traded it in on a big 85 model K5 Blazer, which has served me well, but I never abused it like I did that old Jeep. But the old CJ5 was a deathtrap on the highway, and I needed a better winter weather rig for work.

I did love that old CJ5, but I wouldn't let a kid of mine drive one, no way, as they are a deathtrap on the highway, and it was very hard to recover from any kind of driving mistake, or slip up. I guess that is one reason they quite making them.
NRA Life Member, Patron