OT 190 smk for elk in an -06

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

OT 190 smk for elk in an -06

Post by fordwannabe »

I thank everybody for their help in the search for a guide for my buddies last elk hunt, I have found a man who lives in my home state of PA who happens to have a cabin in Hayden Colorado that he rents out during Elk season and I am going over tomorrow to see pics and prolly put a deposit on the place for 2012. However I am wondering about my bullet choice for elk and mulies. My remington has a big preference for the 190 SMK bullets and I was wondering if any of you elk hunters have an opinion on whether this would be an acceptable bullet on elk/mulies. I have seen several topics on the web and the answer is some yes some no. I trust you guys way more than most "keyboard commandos" so what say you. The loads is 60.5 grains of 4831 with a 190 grain SMK in a remington 700 LEFTIE. Also looking for a composit stock for that rifle in left hand if anybody has one. Thanks. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Don McDowell

Re: OT 190 smk for elk in an -06

Post by Don McDowell »

It'll work just fine.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I don't know if the Sierra Match King will get the job done all the time. Maybe. It will certainly kill deer and elk if the shot is right and the bullets gets into the vitals. With so many other bullets available that are made for hunting, and more specifically killing animals the size of elk, I can't help but ask, "why take chance"? Elk are pretty big animals with vital zones nearly 16" round. Personally, I'd sacrifice a bit of accuracy for a bullet that is designed to penetrate well and expand on that sized animal. There are several bullets in 180 gr weight where you could use your current load and only change the bullet. Something as simple as changing to a Game King seems simple, and cost efficient if you will stay with Sierra and the same load with just a different bullet. Without a long list of success stories using the SMK I am worried you may end up kicking yourself if you wind up wounding, losing or needing to shoot several times on an elk. If you use a bullet with a solid reputation on elk, the added confidence and (hopefully) somewhat predicatable performance can be priceless and just eliminates one more variable to the greatest extent you can control. The SMK has 6% antimony lead, which is hard, and the .0010 metplat with tiny hole plus a J4 jacket. I can't see it expanding well, but on the other hand if it encounters serious resistance from bone it may come apart in a random, erratic manner.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:roll: Oohhh boy here comes the kevlar coated elk people..... :roll:
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Expantion IS my biggest concern and this is exactly what I found on the net some say yes some say no. This is why I asked the question, to get different points of view, and I thank you both. I have no issue getting a new load with a better bullet ect I just thought hey if it already works.... But the SGK has proven itself to me on many a critter and I will try a load with those. One of the long range hunter in this area swears by(not at) MK for game but I wasn't sure(still ain't). Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

If you are able to find a Big Bull, shoot him in a no vital spot with the SMK he will absorb that like nothing. With no expansion he will be in the next County in a New York minute.

You want a penetration & expansion bullet, like a Barnes, Nosler or Hornady.

The last Bull I got with a 30 cal. I was using a Hornady 180 gr. and it took three shots to anchor the big guy.

The Western Elk population are very healthy and strong critters.

Most of my Family use 338 Winchester mags or 325WSM. Also Big slow bullets get the job done.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

The last bull I killed with a .30 cal was with a 180gr Winchester silvertip. It did a great job on an elk that was spooked when it came running by me at about 300 yards. I've never been a big premium bullet kinda guy, instead I am a cast bullet hunter.

Most all of my friends who use a .30 cal use a Nosler Partition without any failures ever. My son has killed quite a few bulls with his .270's and 338-06 and uses Nosler Partitions with no problems at all.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Well I've actually seen the bullet in question work, and not over a feeder on something behind a highfence. It wouldn't be my choice, but I've got a non favorable on Sierra's from two different almost bad situations from 2 different rifles I was pulling the trigger on..
As you've used it on game with no problems, the confidence you carry with it will be a tremedous asset in your being able to put that bullet where it needs to go.
Someone on one of these boards who is a very experienced elk hunter lit into a tyrade after someone started this hard angle, got to penetrate stuff, and the basic point he made is, if all you got is an elks backside sticking out from behind a tree at 400 yds you don't have a shot, no matter how far you traveled from home to get to this moment.
Its my opinion formed from a half century of doin it, and watchin it, and gathering info from many sources that premium bullets for the most part arent needed except in some cirumstances where the caliber in question has absolutely no competent traditonal bullets. Also traditional cup and core bullets will do their job admirably in non magnum cartridges at most ranges involved in ethical hunting so long as the sectional density starts at or near .240, the higher the better. Those same bullets will work well in manglem cartridges at extended distances, but given the close range of a great percentage of hunting situations they won't stand up real well to the extra torque on the bullet.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Tom if your buddy or the gun likes 190 gr bullets Hdy makes a 190 BTSP a few guys use it in the 300 rum and wsm around here for elk. If you have any doubts about the SMK bullet fire it in some wet newsprint with some beef bones thrown in for effect. danny
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Don McDowell wrote::roll: Oohhh boy here comes the kevlar coated elk people..... :roll:
:lol:
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

I suggest Nosler Partitions in what ever weight your gun shoots best. They never fail to penetrate and an elk hunt is too expensive and time consuming to trust to a lighter made bullet.

That's my thoughts on that.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

IMHO, use a hunting bullet. It doesn't have to cost $3 a pop either. I have always used 180 Core Loct on elk with no problems. Good luck!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Seems like a better idea to use bullets suit to the purpose.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

If you put one through the heart or lungs, it will die, but how far is it going to travel before it drops? What if your shot is less than perfect? A pencil sized hole through a non vital area isn't going to slow an elk down much. There are too many good bullets designed for killing critters to use a bullet designed for punching paper.
NRA Life Member
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

IMHO, use a hunting bullet. It doesn't have to cost $3 a pop either. I have always used 180 Core Loct on elk with no problems. Good luck!
That's what I was thinkin'...........

-Stretch
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Tom, after thinking about your question I checked with a shirttail relative, his story was that the army wanted a accurate long range round, the new M118 it is loaded with a 175 SMK & RL-15 it can hold a 10" group at 1000, the lead core is hard not soft like the core on the most SP's. You could email sierra and ask them the pro's and con's for hunting elk with a SMK I imagine they have a better answer than any of us have. I have shot 69 gr SMK in a 223 for coyotes thru & thru shots. danny
Last edited by BigSky56 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Sierra has already answered the question in their manual. SMK's are for paper.

Per the Sierra manual #5. page 51, last sentence : "As always, MatchKing bullets are not recommended for hunting use".
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

fordwannabe wrote:I thank everybody for their help in the search for a guide for my buddies last elk hunt, I have found a man who lives in my home state of PA who happens to have a cabin in Hayden Colorado that he rents out during Elk season and I am going over tomorrow to see pics and prolly put a deposit on the place for 2012. However I am wondering about my bullet choice for elk and mulies. My remington has a big preference for the 190 SMK bullets and I was wondering if any of you elk hunters have an opinion on whether this would be an acceptable bullet on elk/mulies. I have seen several topics on the web and the answer is some yes some no. I trust you guys way more than most "keyboard commandos" so what say you. The loads is 60.5 grains of 4831 with a 190 grain SMK in a remington 700 LEFTIE. Also looking for a composit stock for that rifle in left hand if anybody has one. Thanks. Tom
Use your 190. the 180 coreloct non premium will work also. A 30-06 even with the "wrong bullet" will drop an elk, even a elephant, if you know how to shoot and and keep the range within reason.
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

I would check my the state and local laws. A SMK is classified as a FMJ bullet, which is not allowed for hunting game animals in many areas. Will it kill an elk? Absolutely, and so will a .22. I do not think either one is the responsible choice to hunt big game, and Sierra and many laws agree with me.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Well I learn sumtin new everytime I'm here, I had no idea a HP could also be a FMJ. I'll get another brand of bullet, which is what I originally thought, but when the local guy(who is a hunter with a room full of mounts and does considerable shooting) recommended the SMKI just thought I'd ask. Partitions sounds like a good deal as the only game animal I ever lost was due to a corelokt not opening at all(recovered the bullet and it din't open). Thanks for the input. I did put the deposit on the cabin tonight and we are going elk hunting November of 2012!!!!!
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Read this:
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/newsletters/May_2009.html

I use 59.0 grains of Ramshot Hunter under a 180 grain Nosler Partition and CCI 200 primers. Kills elk DRT.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I screwed up too. a fmj will work with perfect shot placement, it may not be legal where you are hunting. Always use an expanding bullet :oops: Sorry about the miss information. :cry: