OT - Remington 722's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Remington 722's

Post by 6pt-sika »

I have grown up with a Remington 722 in my entire life !

My grandfather bought one brand new in 1958 chambered for the then fairly new 222 REM cartridge . And since his passing it has become mine . His brother also owned one in 244 REM which I once had a chance to purchase and failed to do so . Something I have regretted many times since then .

Last week we had a pretty nice but in need of work 722 appear in our shop in 300 Savage so I bought it !
And since I'm in the Philippines right now I've not been able to take pics or begin clean up work on the 300 as of yet !

Last night I bid on what looks to be a fairly nice 722 in 244 to replace my great uncles rifle and got it ! Hopefully it will be as nice as the pics when I return home !

I'd like to add another 722 in 257 Roberts at some point . And maybe some 721's in 270 , 06 and 300 H&H MAG .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Remington 722's

Post by Pete44ru »

The 722's are taking over, where the Marlins left off, heh ? ;) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great rifles - a friend has a very nice one in 300 Savage that his son killed his first deer with.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

If they had come in 7X57 I'd have one, but a .270 would be nice.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Pete44ru wrote:The 722's are taking over, where the Marlins left off, heh ? ;) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

A man can never have to many toys :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Old Savage wrote:Great rifles - a friend has a very nice one in 300 Savage that his son killed his first deer with.
I had a pair of Savage 99's in 300 and traded them off as well as the brass and dies . But it just so happens I have 4 boxes of factory ammo from the 60's I just might shoot up in this rifle and then all I need is a set of RCBS or Redding dies !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Mike D. wrote:If they had come in 7X57 I'd have one, but a .270 would be nice.
Well the 222 and 244 are sentimental things !

The 300 was an item of oppurtunity !

And a 257 is just to finish the cartridges I like !

The 721's will most likely follow soon !

As to the 7x57 I have a nice old drilling in 7x57R and am in the market for a nice used Ruger #1A in 7x57 :wink:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I suggest you try the Lee Collet dies with the brass you fire in that rifle. Take them apart and clean up any burrs and put a little lube on the surfaces that squeeze the collet fingers first. No case stretch and all I so is wipe the outside of the necks off with those aloe tissues between firings and wipe the brass off a bit if necessary.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I passed up an opportunity to buy a 721 in 300 H&H several years ago, at a very good price. I have regretted it ever since.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

damienph wrote:I passed up an opportunity to buy a 721 in 300 H&H several years ago, at a very good price. I have regretted it ever since.
If I'm not mistaken they made some in 264 WIN MAG as well . I would really like one of those if it's true . But if they're semi rare to rare I won't wanna pay what it'll take to get one !
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 457121 »

6pt-sika wrote:
damienph wrote:I passed up an opportunity to buy a 721 in 300 H&H several years ago, at a very good price. I have regretted it ever since.
If I'm not mistaken they made some in 264 WIN MAG as well . I would really like one of those if it's true . But if they're semi rare to rare I won't wanna pay what it'll take to get one !
i have a 722 in .222 Rem and a 721 in .270wcf that were passed down to me from my grandpa back in '85. i also have a 721 in 300 H&H that my father bought in a Massachusetts pawn shop back in '72. Pop says it is the only one he has ever seen before or since. neither of us has ever come across the elusive .264 win mag.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Jr has his grandfather's 721 in .270. It will stay inside 3/4" at 100 yards. He has worked up some nice handloads for it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

i have a 721 in 300 h&h grand ol combo, ive had it for 26 years , longer than ive had any gun, poor ol thing mostly sits now days cuz of them lever guns

ollogger
roughcreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by roughcreek »

The 6th edition of Gun Digest Treasury has a great article on the 721-722. Here is part of it.

Quote: The blowup tests were the big thing, and the most publicized. They were run on two 721 rifles chambered in 30-06, which Walker considered the worst cartridge from a blow-up standpoint. Starting with a proof cartridge, 220 grain bullets were progressively lodged in front of each shot until the rifles no longer functioned. By the fifth extra bullet, the bolt head had expanded into the barrel counter-bore so tightly in both rifles that the bolt handles were broken of trying to open them. But becausee the enshrouded cartridge heads remained entact throught it all, no further damage occured and the only gas to escape came throught the primer.
Such conditions far exceeded anything that a brass cartridge head could withstand alone. According to Remington, the two 721 pilot rifles were subjected to pressures estimated as high as 300,000 pounder per square inch. Conventional rifles tested alongside them for comparison all turned to scrape at much lower pressures. end quote:
Roughcreek
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

When I got back to the USA almost two weeks ago I didn't get to see either the 244 or the 300 until the following monday !

The 244 was fine for what I wanted , but the 300 was a little rougher then I cared to have . It certainly could have been touched up a bit and been okay , but I decided to let a friend have it instead !

Finally got some ammo loaded for the 244 about 3 days ago and got to the range yesterday afternoon !

I loaded some Nosler 85 grain PArtitions and some Barnes 85 grain TSX . The little rifle seems to like the Partitions okay , but doesn;t care for the Barnes at all !

I have a box of Hornady 80 or 85 grain Interbonds coming for it now !

I think between the 85 Partitions and what I hope the Interbonds will do I should be set for the july/august DCP season in the peach orchard as far as deer are concerned !
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I am very fond of the 721/722 as well. My go-to bolt gun is a 721 in 264 that was my dads rifle for many years. It now wears a new barrel and McMillan stock, but it's still the same ole 721 underneath the new clothes. They are great shooters. We also share a 722 308 that is a super shooter. It will go to one of my boys eventually.

If I had the choice of a third, it would definitely be the 257 Roberts. I've always been intrigued by that cartridge, and I've always enjoyed Maj. Roberts' writing. There's a lot of history behind that cartridge.

Here's my 721 (with some added decoration :D :D ):
Chad
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Had the 722 244 in the shop this morning making the trigger a little lighter and shimmed it up in the stock just a bit !
I set the trigger at a hair under a pound ! That'll be good for paperwork and should work well for the july august DCP's !

Here are some pics of the old gun !

Now if I can get the Interbonds tommorrow and get some more Partitions and the Interbonds loaded this weekend I'll make a early range trip monday as long as it's not raining !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well Fedex didn't make it to the shop friday with the Interbonds !

Hopefully monday !

And as it turns out I can't go to the range monday anyway , but perhaps tuesday !

With the barrel slightly shimmed and the trigger brought down to 3/4 pound it might just do a little better :wink:

If the bullets appear monday I'll load some for tuesday most certainly !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Oh yeah the gun had a old 6 power on top that aged back about the same as the rifle ! Was Imported by Precision Shooting Sports or something like that .
Anyway before I went to the range the first trip I liberated a nice old Leupold MX8 in 10 power from our Ruger #1B 22 Hornet .

The tapered crosshairs are nice but a little more power would be also !
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

I have been hunting for a clean 300 H&H 721 for awhile now. I have my grandfathers 721 in 30-06 and it shoots like a dream. It's one of the most accurate rifles I have owned.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Mich hunter wrote:I have been hunting for a clean 300 H&H 721 for awhile now. I have my grandfathers 721 in 30-06 and it shoots like a dream. It's one of the most accurate rifles I have owned.
I've kinda rethought my ideas on 721's to go with my pair of 722's !

I'm thinking just a 300 H&H MAG will be plenty 721's for me !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well got everything loaded for the 722 except the Hornady Interbonds and I should be able to knock them out kinda quick monday sometime so i can hit the range first thing tuesday if the weather is good !

Have stuff now ready for the 722 - 244 , the 1964 Marlin 444 , a Ruger #1B 6mm REM I've had for a year and yet to shoot and finally stuff for a friends Remington Model 7 300 RSAUM .

Need to load maybe 9 rounds with the Interbonds and I'll be ready .

That'll be 15 rounds for the 244 , 13 rounds for the 6mm , 30 rounds for the 444 and 13 rounds for the 300 !
Shouldn't take more then an hour if I'm the only one at the range !
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

Dad gave me his model 722 .257 Roberts, the Weaver scope with the straight end bell was wrapped up in a newspaper from 1954 I think. The couple boxes of shells were a Western Super X Power Point priced at $4.45, and the box of Peters were priced at $2.95. My boss has stood in front of me twice shaking his checkbook, begging me to sell it to him. I don't think this gun has had more than 2 or 3 boxes of shells thru it. Its a pretty lil gun, and a flat shooter to boot.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Got the 85 grain Interbonds today and have them loaded and sitting at the front door along with the rest of my ammo and rifles !

Supposed to snow here a bit tommorrow or something early in the day . I don't think that will hinder me to to much :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Got out today finally with the 722 - 244 !

Since lightening the trigger and shimming it up in the stock my POI changed a bit !

The 3/4 pound trigger seems to make a good difference !

The Nosler 85 grain Partition with 45 grains of IMR4350 was looking good . However the Hornady 85 grain Interbonds seem to need a little more work ! Think I'm gonna go a little hotter with IMR4350 and IMR 4831 and see what happens !

Incidently my Ruger #1B in 6mm REM seemed to digest the Nosler 95 grain ballistic Tip , the Hornady 95 grain SST and the Barnes 85 grain TSX with relative ease ! Looks like 43 grains of IMR4350 eih either the Nosler 95 BT or the Hornady 95 SST are already a winner ! And the Barnes 85 TSX with 45 grains of IMR4350 shot really well !

Today was proof in itself that Remington made a bad original choice choosing the 1-12 twist in the original 244's !

Granted if I stay with the lesser weight bullets the 244 is fine as I've already seen shooting Nosler 70 grain Ballistic Tips . But getting MOA with the heavier offerings is proving to be a bit more trouble !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Loaded up some more 85 Partitions and 85 Interbonds with a little more powder to try in the 244 wednesday !

Also loaded up some more Nosler 95 BT's , Honrady 95 SST's and Barnes 85 TSX to shoot in the Ruger #1B 6mm .

Both of these should pretty much be done after wednesday (I hope) !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Had the 722 244 at the range again today !

Had a nice old Ruger #1B in 6mm REM there as well !

Also had my gunsmith buddies Remington Model 7 Stainless Synthetic in 300 SAUM there as well !
I used to have a pair just like this in 300 SAUM and 7mm SAUM liked them both alot but like so many others before them just lost intrest after awhile !