Info on Tetons and Yellowstone?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Info on Tetons and Yellowstone?

Post by Tycer »

I would like to take a trip to the Tetons and Yellowstone with Nancy. I know nothing about them. We're not the touristy types and don't care much for crowds.

Suggestions?
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Base Pin Maker
Levergunner

Re: Info on Tetons and Yellowstone?

Post by Base Pin Maker »

I met my wife there when we both worked in Yellowstone, got married at Mammoth Hot Springs, and live about 90 miles north of the park now. Best time to visit is Spring and fall, May and September, if you want to avoid the crowds. My wife is on a ski trip at Old Faithful this weekend with her friends, and has been getting dumped on by snow. Hope you can come out and see our neighborhood. Kelye @ Belt Mountain
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Not caring much for crowds kinda puts a kink in things, several million people a year visit those spots. If I was doing it I would go about the middle of September, at least you wont have the brat kids to put up with and the crowds will be smaller. Beautiful time of the year, usually nice cool weather and fall colors, but beware of early winter storms, bring clothing appropriate for December. Make reservations well in advance, like 6 months or so. Figure 10 days to do it all, including a stop at Cody WY on the East side of Yellowstone, 2 days there to see the Buffalo Bill Historical Center with probably the worlds greatest gun collection. About 2 hours of Jackson, Wy will be all you will want of that, but go there anyway just to say you've been there.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Not liking crowds and seeing Yellowstone and Jackson don't hardly go toghether.
Best bet would be to google up the Wyoming Travel commissions web page and get more info than you can shake a stick at.
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

Yup,

You can't miss the Buffalo Bill Historical center. It is well worth the trip and you could easilyu spend a full day there.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I lived in Afton, Wy for about four months years back. Not to far south of Jackson. Some of the most beautiful country in this nation. Been to Yellowstone once as a kid and again as an adult. Don't remember much the first time other than bears tearing ice chests apart. While as an adult I didn't get to spend much time there so I don't have a lot of info to pass on. If I were making a list of places to retire to, the area around Afton would be at the top of that list. Beings I didn't have to do much outside during winter.
Old Law Dawg
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

if you're east of it going thru Buffalo WY and then going east on highway 16 would be wonderful. historic and beautiful. I think I could live in Buffalo if the winters weren't so cold and the summers weren't so hot. LOL

Grizz
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

June can be a rainy month the best area is north of the park in the absoraks for beauty and quite I like the Cooke City area some fine fishing for golden trout and cutts another park to visit is glacier then take the hwy south along the west side of the bob marshall wilderness down to the swan then on to yellowstone. Half way between yellowstone and glacier is the Grant- Kohrs Ranch at Deer Lodge now a park and working ranch and at one time was a 10 million acre ranch that extended into Canada. Snow doesnt come out of the high country till july plan well.danny
http://visitmt.com/
http://visitmt.com/categories/moreinfo. ... cordID=223
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I worked for the NPS at the grand tetons back in 1961. Go before or after school vacation.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

We lived a few miles north of Afton for 8 years. If you like to see country instead of civilization I can recommend several places worth the days adventure.

Take 89 south of Jackson through the Snake river canyons. A beautiful and scenic drive. You'll end up at Alpine Wy. From there the road goes northwest up to Swan Valley Id. a nice drive. The other part goes south to Afton which is a pretty nice little valley. If you head the southern direction stop in at Freedom Arms...between Etna and Thayne, and just off of 89 about half a mile. If you do go to FA, let me know you're going...I'd like to have someone take photo's of my old place and what it looks like now.

One of the better IMO roaming places is an area called Grey's River Road which is accessed in Alpine on the north, and ends up south of Afton. But it's an all days journey to take the whole thing, with no exits off of it in the middle. So just plan on going in a few miles and having a picnic and a nice hike.

If you want any more ideas, let me know, there's plenty to see up there when the weather cooperates.

By the way...our oldest son was born in the Jackson Hole Hospital :D

Ed
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

jnyork wrote:Not caring much for crowds kinda puts a kink in things, several million people a year visit those spots. If I was doing it I would go about the middle of September, at least you wont have the brat kids to put up with and the crowds will be smaller. Beautiful time of the year, usually nice cool weather and fall colors, but beware of early winter storms, bring clothing appropriate for December. Make reservations well in advance, like 6 months or so. Figure 10 days to do it all, including a stop at Cody WY on the East side of Yellowstone, 2 days there to see the Buffalo Bill Historical Center with probably the worlds greatest gun collection. About 2 hours of Jackson, Wy will be all you will want of that, but go there anyway just to say you've been there.
but wile your in Jackson eat at Bubba's, great BBQ!
I live in UT. but we do like to go to Yellowstone, one of the best bike (Motorcycle) rides around, this last summer we went up through Alpine then over towards Swan valley took the cut off and headed for Victor ID. there is a great view of the backside of the tetons from there, we got rained and hailed on, thank heavens for rain gear :D from there we went over the Teton pass, you can get a good view of the vallies, both sides, then drop down into Jackson, from there we headed for Yellostone wile we where in yellowstone it seams a buffalo wanted his share of the road so he was walking the yellow like, we passed close enough to him that we could have slapped his but, we didn't, there head is as big as my Harley, that got the blood running a little.
You will love Yellowstone no matter when you go, just plan to weight in traffic for each and every animal that decides to stop near the road, and there are lots of them, Yellowstone is the only place I have ever seen a grizzly bear, when I was a kid we used to feed the black bears from the windows of our car, but that was a long time ago.
Terry
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Yellowstone and Glacier was are family trip last year. Basicaly Yellowstone has a lot of traffic, but most things can be seen by pulling upto the parking lot right in front of them. While in glacier if you want to see certain things you have to hike a mile or two. It's more of a hikers park. I liked glacier much better, it had a great shuttle service that picked up and dropped off at every campground and took you to points of interest. Our funniet saying in Yellowstone was when their was a traffic jam that there must be a squrrel on the side of the road. We had a great time fly fishing in both parks.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Ya gotta go. That's some of the prettiest country God put in this entire world. I prefer Sept but that's me.
wavetrain75
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wavetrain75 »

I live 100 miles away and we try to make it to Yellowstone at least once a year.

1: Motorcycle is the best way to see it.

2: Mammoth is the nicest place to stay. Old Faithful is the most crowded. The lake is absolutely beautiful and you can rent a boat. For those not into crowds I would advise looking into the boat rentals. I don't even care if I see Old Faithful again but the lake is stunning.

3: Food is bad, overpriced, long wait and crowded, no matter where you stop (unless it's the off season, then it's just bad and overpriced). Bring a little propane camp stove with your choice of vittles and stop at some of the many picnic areas. Our trips to the park became truly enjoyable after we bought a camp stove, instead of being just another tourist in the buffet line. Last time we enjoyed brauts, hamburgers, blueberry pancakes with bacon, steak fajitas and chicken al fredo, much better than anything you'll find for sale.

4: The Beartooth Highway between Red Lodge and the Park is considered one of the most scenic highways in the country. Again, a motorcycle is best. It is seasonally closed and we got a lot of snow this year so it may not open till later than normal.

5: Take a little time to look up what "Tetons" means.

6: The loop around Grand Teton is only about 25 miles so if you're not into hiking it doesn't take long.

7: Make your reservations early and by phone.

8: Silvergate Cabins on the north side of the park are very nice; well kept, quiet and secluded.

9: The park sits at roughly 8000', so it will be much cooler than the surrounding country,

Feel free to PM me, we've been there many times.
DadsMod12
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DadsMod12 »

I'm a school teacher so I've only been there during the summer so I'm not much help with this time of year. My one suggestion is to take a spotting scope and tripod with you. It was great for watching the wolves and bears.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

One of My Army Buddys lives in Morganton Nc. He has set up a meet with the rest of the group at Jackson Hole for July this year. My wife can walk but not too long,(both fake knees) They bout killed Her in Vegas. Other than the drive around the Teton is there much to do other than a lot of walking.We would drive there as I like having My own vehicle.
I too dislike crowds, I know July is a bad time in that case but I don't set these up.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

High summer is the best time to see Yellowstone, especially for a first visit. Snow can close the principal road passes such as Sylvan, Dunraven, Craig, etc., and especially the Beartooth, should winter linger or come early. Many years ago my dad and I spent a day in mid-September snowbound at the Madison campground, and we were unable to leave the park via the Beartooth Highway as the pass was closed for the winter. Although it will feature crowds and heavy traffic, summer will show the park at its best.

In Grand Teton you'll find roads enough to show you the park quite well. If you have the time drive up on Signal Mountain, take the road along Mormon Row east of route 89, and of course the loop road along Jenny Lake. Then if you enter Yellowstone from the Tetons you'll drive the Rockefeller Memorial Parkway connecting Grand Teton and Yellowstone where the scenery, to me, is a little bland, but you'll soon find yourself at Yellowstone Lake and the vistas will be spectacular. Be sure to take the road from Canyon over Mount Washburn and Dunraven Pass for some more great views. And check the north slope of Mount Washburn for a chance at seeing grizzlies. This road will take you to the Tower-Roosevelt area where you'll connect with the Northeast Entrance Road. Take it for a wonderful drive along the Lamar River and Slough Creek to Silver Gate and Cooke City. This road will also lead to the Beartooth Highway, US Route 212, that you may want to take when you leave the park. Of course you'll see the readily accessible geyser basins and Mammoth Hot Springs.

I also like the drive from Mammoth south to Norris, then farther south along the Gibbon River to Madison Junction where the Firehole River joins the Gibbon to form the Madison River, then along the Madison into West Yellowstone.

I'll be in the park in mid-August this year, and I'm dreaming about it now. I'll be ready for some Slough Creek cutthroats! Thanks for reminding me.
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

wavetrain75 wrote:I live 100 miles away and we try to make it to Yellowstone at least once a year.

1: Motorcycle is the best way to see it.

2: Mammoth is the nicest place to stay. Old Faithful is the most crowded. The lake is absolutely beautiful and you can rent a boat. For those not into crowds I would advise looking into the boat rentals. I don't even care if I see Old Faithful again but the lake is stunning.

3: Food is bad, overpriced, long wait and crowded, no matter where you stop (unless it's the off season, then it's just bad and overpriced). Bring a little propane camp stove with your choice of vittles and stop at some of the many picnic areas. Our trips to the park became truly enjoyable after we bought a camp stove, instead of being just another tourist in the buffet line. Last time we enjoyed brauts, hamburgers, blueberry pancakes with bacon, steak fajitas and chicken al fredo, much better than anything you'll find for sale.

4: The Beartooth Highway between Red Lodge and the Park is considered one of the most scenic highways in the country. Again, a motorcycle is best. It is seasonally closed and we got a lot of snow this year so it may not open till later than normal.

5: Take a little time to look up what "Tetons" means.

6: The loop around Grand Teton is only about 25 miles so if you're not into hiking it doesn't take long.

7: Make your reservations early and by phone.

8: Silvergate Cabins on the north side of the park are very nice; well kept, quiet and secluded.

9: The park sits at roughly 8000', so it will be much cooler than the surrounding country,

Feel free to PM me, we've been there many times.
+1 especialy on numbers 1, 3, 4, and #5 <-----just so you know!
Terry
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

This is good info. We have a family reunion in Big Sky in early July, and will be driving through Yellowstone and Tetons/Jackson on the way home. My wife's family is from Bozeman and Harlowton. Too bad I can't strap the wife and kids on the back of a motorcycle...it sounds like the only way to go :D
Chad
Retro
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Retro »

I'm dragging the family to the USA in June July (only chance we have, I know) and Yellowstone's on the list. Have booked Canyon for camping. Will definitely visit Cody :-)

Also on the list is Disney. Yea, I know. But the wife's always wanted to go there and it's mostly her money so.

Fly into Sandy Eggo, rentacar to LA and SF. Plane to Vegas, car to Grand Canyon, up via all those scenic bits of Cowboy country like Valley of the Gods and Goblin valley to pilgrimage in Ogden :-) and won't miss Freedom en route to Jackson. Back to SLC, plane to New Orleans, then plane to Disney, putting them last because they will as far as I can tell extract all the money you have left.

All this in three weeks. Gonna be interesting :-)

(And strangely enough, I have no interest in going to that world famous Vegas rentagun place to shoot fully auto wossnames. Ah well).
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:lol: Retro if you want to extract all the money you have, you can do that long before you reach Disneyworld. :lol:
All you need do is while in Cody stop in and visit the boys at Wyoming Armory, and then when you go out the north end of the park meander on down to Big Timber Mt, and visit with the good folks at Shiloh and C Sharps. :mrgreen:
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

i love it up there used to live in hoback jct just south a jackson my family has 300 acres and a cabin on the hoback river about a mile and a half from hoback i agree spring time is best for the park.
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

willygene wrote:i love it up there used to live in hoback jct just south a jackson my family has 300 acres and a cabin on the hoback river about a mile and a half from hoback i agree spring time is best for the park.
Then you're familier with Bonderant! I have a friend that owns a ranch in Bonderant, we stay at his ranch house some times when his boys get a biker group together, we go up to Jackson, and Yellowstone, great ride, pretty area around Bonderant.
Terry