SoCal LvrGunr Fam Reunion, March 15-16th, UPDATED 3/17/08

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pullnshoot25
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pullnshoot25 »

So where exactly is the range we are all going to be attending? I perused this thread a bit but I couldnt find a specific location.

Time for bed, it is 1:21AM!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

so far it looks like 14-15 people if both "maybes" make it. Plus I think Marc and his wife are coming, although he hasn't PM'd me yet. I definitely want to meet the SoCal deer hunting wizard.

This Saturday I'm going to be up there and I will let the range manager know about the camping and try to verify the fees. I'm thinking $14 max.

Then we should probably decide about food, so everybody doesn't bring 5-alarm chili. But I don't think that's a big deal.

Oh, are the San Diego people interested in carpooling? We can make a list for that if there's interest in saving gas (most gun guys drive big ol' gas hogs).
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Congrats 71 on the new rug rat :D :D

Carpool is out for me. I am going up to Chino first to drop my wife off at her moms and pick up her step dad.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

71fan wrote:Hello boys!!

I'm back. We had our baby on the 18th and I have been very busy at home and at work.
Now there's a b-day for ya, same as mine, lol.

Congrats all the way around and take care of the lady so we can see ya at the shoot!
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Anyone know if there is cell phone coverage up there? At the campsites? I have an idea brewing.... :wink:

-Tutt
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

There should be. Sobenk do you have an answer to this one?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Well I don't have a cell phone. But it is on the city side of the mountain, pretty high up.

I know if you go 2 miles in to the Dillon Divide there's no service.

I'll ask.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Ok, I spoke to Paula at the range office, she is expecting us and will get us all checked in.

She's going to charge the guest rate of $7.00 per shooter. That entitles us to shoot at both ranges, the 600 yard and the silhouette range. But it doesn't include the Cowboy Match, just shooting at the silhouette range after the match. Mark, the guy who runs that match, is thinking about what to charge us for his match, it might be $0, $5, $6, or $10. Normally it's $10 for three cards for his match. I think he's not going to charge us, though.

Spectators are free. Shooters and spectators both have to fill out release forms. Your release form can include one minor on the same form. No kids under 4, no pets.

Alcoholic beverages are prohibited in the rules for the range complex. However the manager told me that doesn't apply to the club property. So this is a gray area. I would rather say "no alcoholic beverages" since that is a way for us to get the club in trouble. If on Saturday guys want to drink we should probably go to a restaurant, then come back to the clubhouse afterwards. Might be easier than cooking as well.

As far as fires, there is a nice iron stove in the clubhouse where we can light a fire and control it. So we can have a fire to sit around.

Please go to the ASR site, and download the rules and the release form. There's also a map of the complex.

http://www.angelesranges.com/

When you arrive, go to the office and ask for Paula, tell you you're here with the Levergunner's group, and she'll check you in. She'll take your money and release form and stamp your hand. I'll be there on Saturday afternoon to make sure they leave the gate open.

Campers, I'd like to get ETA's so I'll know when to arrive myself. I'm thinking 2 or 3 pm at the earliest. If anyone wants to shoot on Saturday, they would have to pay for that day separately.

That's about it. If we go out to a restaurant on Saturday, it would simplify things. Then we can bring some hot dogs and hamburgers to grill on Sunday. We should coordinate who brings what on the food and beverages.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

We can show up at anytime on Saturday that would be the most convient so as to be out of the way of normal patrons when setting up 3PM would not be a problem. Good point about the booze I am not a big drinker so I think I can live with out at the range. I can bring hot dogs and buns and drinks for kids since my boys are coming I will bring enough if any one else is bringing theirs.

Sobenk thanks for all the work you have put into this.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Sobenk, I agree with J.R., thanks for all the work you have put into this! I have been out of town for a few days, but I'm back now. I'm OK with a restaurant for Saturdat night. In fact, that would probably work better for my friends like Old Savage and Professor Loudenboomer, and eliminate any confusion on what to bring. Can you pick a place? I can ask around.

-Tutt
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Well, the only restaurants I'm familiar with have drive-throughs, so I'll have to ask around. There is something new right at the intersection of Little Tujunga and Foothill, I'll see if it's appropriate, it's certainly the closest. Nearby areas are San Fernando, Sunland, and Panorama City. Burbank is a little farther but might have better restaurants.
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

OK, everything looks good for me attending depending upon my FIL's health. Just a couple of off the wall questions: What's everyone bringing to shoot? Anyone not plan on shooting? Any show and tell sessions planned or will this just be more of a meet and greet? Lastly, I plan on driving up early Sunday from east San Diego - anyone want to carpool?
Well done is better than well said.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

1 pair 1858 CB pistols
2 Ruger Vaq' .45c
1 Ubeti SAA .45c
94 trapper .45c
Lee Enfield .303
.50cal ML
.32cal ML
.22mag Marlin bolt
1897 Win 12guage
Rossi SxS 20guage

Thats what I am taking probably wont have time to shoot them all my self but you can never take to many guns to the range :D .
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Ok, we have the place, can you guys coordinate the food for Sunday?

I'm thinking of volunteers to bring hotdogs, chili, buns, chips, drinks, condiments, plastic silverware. There is a soda machine there. So bring some quarters.

It looks like about 18 people right now.

Also, targets. For the silhouette match the targets are a given, but later we can shoot anything we want. It might be fun to think about this.

I have my life-sized deer cutouts. Maybe we can string up some balloons, paint some cans, etc. Let's get some ideas for this, too.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I got dogs and buns and drinks for kids.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I'll be bringing my Old Thirty One Twenty (71/84 Mauser) and my CZ 550, maybe my McPherson BLR. Also my Munden/Ruger Bisley in 45 Colt and Taurus Raging Bull in 454. Maybe my Kimber in 10mm.

I can bring some tri-tip or large chicken breasts if we have a grill that can cook 1-2 of them, and some BBQ beans. If there is an electrical hook-up, I could also deep fry some chicken after injecting it with marinade, which would also be good. Let me know what you guys think.

-Tutt
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Man I hope I can make it. This is going to be a hoot!!

Jayhawker - by all mean a show and tell, I would think. I am planning on bringing way more than I could possibly shoot alone, with plans to pass around and shoot other folks' stuff, hopefully.

Hey!!! 17 guns listed so far and only 2 are leverguns :shock:

I'll keep in theme with leverguns, plus a few single shots: at least one each of a 30-30, a 71, an '86, Trapper 44, Marlin 39, 1895 303 Brit, Ballard Pacific, and Remington Hepburn.

And there will be a few sixguns, of course.

I have 3/4 of a case of 40-65 for my '86, and I will try to get another full case before then.

Jayhawker - I won't commit to carpooling since I don't even know if I'll make it. But 95fan is right over the hill from us in Santee, maybe you guys can hook up. As we get closer we can figure things out better.

Sobenk - are you including Dan on the list. I talked to him a few days ago and he enquired about it.
Chad
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hey!!! 17 guns listed so far and only 2 are leverguns
I have a nice 454 Puma, but it needs some work right now. Guess I better bring the BLR though. I only have 4 rifles total, and half of them are leverguns.

Old Savage has a very nice Win '88 and Sav '99 if I remember right. Maybe he will bring them?

-Tutt
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I only have the one lever :( .
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Will bring my 1908 Marlin 1893 30-30, Marlin 39, IJ Super Sealed 8 22 revolver, never shot and about 1 1/2 cases of Winchester T22 target ammo.

If there will be some 32 H&R Mag ammo I can bring bro's 32 Single Six.

Bolt gun will be the M52 that I haven't shot other than indoors.

I plan to come Sat and sight in as much as possible before Sun.

I was wondering if you would be interested in a patch to commemerate
the event?
I can get 50 like this for $2 each:
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

The patch is a great idea! Count me in! I don't think that will be a hard sell.

-Tutt
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I think a group picture would be a good idea. Whoever has the latest whiz-bang digital, bring it.

Make sure you know how to use the self-timer, or you can't be in it!

I also plan to take some digital pics, but my camera is not the best.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I have a tripod!

no it's not the cat.
KI6WZU
NRA member

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

A group picture is definately in order as well. I have a camera and tripod that works pretty well. The camera is a 5mp which is good to size 8'x10" if someone wants to blow it up. I also know how to use the timer, and can still run reasonable fast! :lol: I'd be happy to take it, but please any and everyone feel free to bring their own cameras and we will post a thread with all our pics after the event.

-Tutt
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

My camera is 8M so I will bring it and the tripod. Will work out the self
timer before I come up.

Ordered a 200ct case of 30-30 today. That and the 22 ammo is covered.
will work on the 1893 tomorrow and see if it gets back together this
weekend. still have about 30 yrs of the 100yrs of lead to remove
and dremel out a buggered screw.

I would like to get more input on the patches before I commit on an order.
KI6WZU
NRA member

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Love the patch I am in. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

I like the patch idea!
Well done is better than well said.
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

I am still planning on attending on Sunday. My wife will not attend because her son's mother-in-law is going to be visiting from Michigan and the women plan on doing womanly things.

How are the rams set? I have shot the course there with cast bullet rifle during the pistol match and of course the rams are "soft set" for the pistol shooters. Are the rams set with the full foot on the rail for the levergun match? If so, I might have to load heavier bullets.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Hi Marc, glad to hear you are coming.

The rams are set with both feet on both runners of the rail. Many of the rams are imperfect and sometimes a bent foot rides off the rail, etc. Some are canted at different angles. If you get one canted forward, it may be a tough nut. But it's not scientific, it's a matter of getting the darn things to stand up. They tend to be pretty light, one of the guys knocks them over with the 9mm factory pistol ammo the cops leave on the range. But they vary.

I used to knock them over pretty reliably with 158 grain Magtech 357 ammo, although I do want something heavier for greater reliability.

But I've seen a guy ring one with a 500 grain 45-70, so go figure.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

This waiting for march to get here is killing me. Think I will go coyote hunting monday just to relive some tension.

I am really looking forward to this. I have my leave in so I dont have to rush back to work on the 17th. My guns are all clean and all I have left to do is load some .45colt and I am good.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I put in the order for the patches today.
they said 3-4 weeks so hopefully they will
get here in time, if not I will collect addresses
and send them out shortly afterward.

End of this month I will be going to a men's
retreat and be able to shoot my 22s and bows.

Ordered what I need to finish up the 30-30 and
should get my items this week. Hopefully get it
together in time.

Only other thing I'm waiting on is a check and then
I can look for thing #15 (need new trasportation).
I'm thinking a small or medium size wagon/van/suv
to help carry stuff. This will allow me to travel to my
outdoor interests that have been sorely neglected in
the past 12-15 yrs. hunting/fishin/shooting are what
I'm looking forward to! Sure miss my old 440 Dodge
Camper Special when I get this way, lol.

Looking forward to the shoot!!!!

Jay
KI6WZU
NRA member

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Well guys, I wish I could match your level of being prepared for this event. I leave for spring break the following weekend where I hope to visit the Friends of Billy Dixon Ultra Long Range Shooting Facility as well as have plinking ammo for my best friend and I as we camp/tour/shoot all over Utah and Colorado. So, I'm going to be very limited in how much ammo I can bring, and still save some for my trip.

But I am very much looking forward to meeting all of you, and the fellowship that will commence. Very much so!

-Tutt
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I will have plenty of std vel 22s and a fair amount of 150gr 30-30 with me.
KI6WZU
NRA member

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Guys, how are we doing for finding a resteraunt to meet at for dinner Saturday night????? We should probably make reservations.

-Tutt
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Probably should start looking at what there is to eat up there.

Tutt
There should be plenty of ammo to shoot. I know I will bring 100cnt .45 colt, a box or 2 of .308win, 80cnt .303brit, some 12 & 20 gage, plenty of stuff for the BP front stuffers, and a tonka truck load of .22lr.
Deffinately more then I can shoot by myself even with help from my kids I will plenty to share:wink: :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Well,

Add one or two more to the list. My daughter and maybe
her friend will come out as well.

Going to try Wipe-Out on my barrel today, if all goes well
I can clean the action and reassemble today. Then just a
matter of welding up the take-down latch and fitting it and
I'm good to go!

Can't wait!!!
KI6WZU
NRA member

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I stopped in at the closest restaurant today, and was pleasantly surprised. It's right at the road where you turn in to go up to the range, so you can't missi it.

They do serve beer and wine, and the menu looks pretty good. Lots of Tex-Mex stuff, burgers, something for everybody. Might be a good candidate for breakfast on Sunday as well.

It's called the Ranch Side Cafe, and they do have a website:

http://www.ranchsidecafe.com/

The only hitch is they normally close at 8 pm. I spoke to the owner and they would stay open for us, but I hate to push it. When are you campers thinking of arriving? Can we get down there by 7, and maybe keep them until 8:30 or 9:00, and then take the party up to the range?

I was thinking of building a fire in the iron furnace in the clubhouse, we can toast marshmallows, make popcorn, etc. There's a 7-11 where we can get some necessaries.

If this sounds good I'll speak to the owner.

Looks like we have about 10 for Saturday. I have myself, Bsaride +2, JReed +3, Cowboy Tutt, am I missing anybody for Saturday?

Also, if anyone wants to take an hour and go horseback riding, there are several places down there to choose from.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Sobenk, you sure have done a good job on this. Tex-mex sounds great to me! I also like the idea of a fire at the clubhouse, and would like to see if we could make dinner at 6pm. This would get everyone to the clubhouse at a decent hour. I'll be down in the afternoon and could make that. What about the rest of you?

-Tutt
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Old Savage, your coming to dinner, right?

Sobenk, I will most likely have Prof. "Boomer" with me, and maybe another fella from north of me. Can't say for sure, but most likely.

-Tutt
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Ok, it will be dark about 6:30 I think, so if people can arrive about 3 or 4, we'll get set up, break for dinner about 6, and then hang out in the clubhouse after that.

So figure we'll be at the restaurant from 6 to 8.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

We will be at the range about 3-3:30PM so you wont be calling us late to diner :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I am planning on coming down to have dinner with you guys. Looking forward to it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Get off at Polk from the north and and Hubbard from the south. Foothill is just south of the 210. Might have to make a test run.

Google Earth shows the above location which is apparently incorrect according to the Thomas map. The map Sobenk used appears to be correct for the address.

Called them, follow the directions Sobenk has - Google Earth will show the wrong place.
Last edited by Old Savage on Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

You can also take the I-5 to Osborne, get off and head east on Osborne.

You'll pass an airport, a park, then turn right onto Foothill (Osborne dead-ends into Foothill). Shortly you'll see the restaurant. To get to the range, go left after passing the restaurant (the second leg of Osborne, which turns into Little Tujunga). There's a sign that says "Ranger Station".

Here's a map:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?ad ... e=&dtype=s
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

OK I see you guys are meeting up on Sat. afternoon. I can be there for that, barring any unforseen "problems".

I was originally thinking of being "sick" from work and going Sunday too, but after being truely sick for the past week, I think He might be warning me. :?

From what I read (been off the post a bit, boy this post has grown) you plan on meeting up about 3PM Sat and spending the night?

I might show up earlier, and do some shooting on my own, this will allow me to socialize a bit more (meaning pester the rest of you when YOU'RE shooting :D ). Would most likely stick around for dinner as well. I'll mention this to the wife but although she's a shooter, she's not an AVID one so this might not be her cup of tea.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Hello everyone. It looks like things are getting pretty well planned. I'm still in the 50/50 category. My family and I have been passing the flu/cold/wonderbug around for four weeks now, plus very little sleep with the newborn. If all are healthy and momma is feeling good at the time of the shoot, I'm in. Three weeks seems like plenty of time for us to get rid of this darn bug and get healthy again.

I talked with my brother Eric tonight, who lives in Glendale, and he will be coming out if I make it.

Man this is tough....I will be so bummed if I can't come. This darn sickness is a real drag.

I'm stocking up on ammo anyway. 22 lr, 30-30, 40-65 and 348.

Is anyone going to be shooting 45-70?
Chad
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Handirifle, we would love to have you. I'm not currently planning on doing any shooting myself on Saturday (I might even be doing some last minute reloading with Prof. 'Boomer). However, dinner and the fire-pit afterwards at the range sounds very promising. Hoping you can stay for that. I will be shooting Sunday, but will also have to leave at a decent hour as I have a 4 1/2 hour drive ahead of me, and need to report to work the following day myself.

Anyhow, hoping to see you there!

-Tutt
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

71Fan, my advice would be, that even if you can't make it, that your brother should go. I'm currently anticipating not one, but two "Shootists" at the event. Miss it at your own peril! And that's all I'm going to say about it, so don't even ask me!

-Tutt
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

71 Fan, please contact Old Savage about the 45-70. I know he has one, and perhaps he can help you out!

-Tutt
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Handi
I will be there around 3pm to set up my tent and relax. May be I will let the kids shoot saturday afternoon a bit when there arent so many people.
So if you come down Sat you can hang out with us until it is time to meet everyone for dinner.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis