Article Review: Hodgdons LEVERevolution or EVR powder

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Article Review: Hodgdons LEVERevolution or EVR powder

Post by J Miller »

I just got my 2011 issue of Hodgdons Annual Manual. In it is a write up on the LEVERevolution or EVR powder. They say it's insensitive to temperature variations in the text of the article. Yet it's not listed as an "EXTREME POWDER".
They give it high marks for consistency and accuracy and to an extent brag about the additional velocity you can get in 30-30 class cartridges.
They point out that it is suitable for only a narrow group of cartridges so you won't get much benefit if not used according to their data.
I looked at the 30-30 data and honestly wasn't completely impressed. Yes it listed higher velocities than any other powder with the common 150 and 170gr jacketed bullets, but it did it with a compressed charge and only in a 24" test barrel.
I really wish the powder makers would use rifles of the most common barrel length ( 20" ) when they work up their load data. At least then we'd get a better idea of what benefit we might really get.
To my way of thinking the only benefit I as a hand loader might get from the LVR powder is a little bit more velocity and temperature consistency. This isn't bad really, but is it enough to justify my spending my money on another powder to experiment with? Especially when it takes more of that powder to get the listed results and that increases the cost per round compared to my old favorite 748?

I don't know yet. I'm thinkin on it.

Oh, Midway has the 2011 Annual Manual priced at $6.49 right now, down from the cover price of $8.99. So if you want one and are going to make a Midway order, now's the time.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Article Review: Hodgdons LEVERevolution or EVR powder

Post by BenT »

I agree . I bought some for the 338mx and to do some load development with the 307 and 356. The fact that loads need to be compressed to get maximium velocity without being over pressure is a good thing. Meaning that you would have to try hard to get enough powder in a case to be over pressure.
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

I would like to see if the lever evolution powder and bullet used together in the .30-30 AI, that'd be sweet to see what it can do. :twisted:

Rifleman 336
Never bite off more than you can chew.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Rifleman336,

That sounds like an interesting load to develop and report back on. You are hereby given the assignment and we expect a report with pics sometime in the future.

If you want.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

First I got to get my 336 chambered for it and then some dies, I was kinda hoping some else had already done it.

Who knows if it can be done SAFELY, it could be real close to early .308 Win territory.

I wish Hornady would put a dual cannuer (spelling?) on the bullet so that the FTX from th .308 Marlin Express could be used to eek out a little more BC ( every little bit helps) out of the projectile.

Ahhh, To only make a dream a reality!!!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Rifleman336,

I don't see why it wouldn't work for the AI. They use it in the bigger Marlin 308 (whatever it's called). The 30-30 AI will still have a smaller capacity than that one.

Should be a screamer.

Oh, it's spelled: cannelure.

Joe
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

Thanks Joe, my spelling skills lacks some days more then others.

Rifleman 336
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Rifleman336 wrote:Thanks Joe, my spelling skills lacks some days more then others.

Rifleman 336

Cannelure, is one of those words that I had to go to my reloading manuals and look up. My spell checkers had no clue. So in addition to adding the word to my computer hard drive I programmed it into my pea brain too. :mrgreen:

Now the one I never can get is obterate ... obturate ... or however , wait my spell checker likes the second version. I must have looked that one up to and forgot to log it in my brain :oops:

Joe
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Never trust the cook to give a 100% factual assessment of his own creation.

I'd wager that the performance isn't much different when compared in a 20" barrel or vs. a 31 grain load of H4895 in a 24' barrel for that matter.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Old Time Hunter wrote:Never trust the cook to give a 100% factual assessment of his own creation.

I'd wager that the performance isn't much different when compared in a 20" barrel or vs. a 31 grain load of H4895 in a 24' barrel for that matter.
I'm in agreement. I looked at the data, and to my way of thinking they are playing a numbers game of some sort.

A compressed load of Win 760 might just do the same thing as a standard load of 748. I don't know.
But without trying it or knowing someone who has, it just don't seem right.

Joe