Can someone explain this bullet to me??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Can someone explain this bullet to me??

Post by olyinaz »

When I look at this bullet all I can come up with is, "Huh?" What am I missing here? Is there a reason why a jacketed bullet should be shaped this way?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Sellier- ... l+Products

Thanks,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Can someone explain this bullet to me??

Post by JReed »

No idea but that is crazy looking.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

longer bullet for a short throat?

Byron
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

More bearing surface, Maybe? Don't know?

Kevin
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

More weight forward w/o increasing bore riding length. Possibly increases downrange stability as it may reduce disturnace in yaw as it drops into subsonic speeds.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Griff wrote:More weight forward w/o increasing bore riding length. Possibly increases downrange stability as it may reduce disturnace in yaw as it drops into subsonic speeds.
OK, I found something on it. S&B calls the bullet an SPCE for "Soft Point Cut-trough Edge". It looks like they offer it in some other, mostly European, chamberings as well. I guess it's designed for greater tissue damage but I just don't think I buy that. The edge/shelf allegedly helps to mechanically lock in the soft core.

http://www.sellier-bellot.cz/most-recom ... rtcuts.php

Thanks,
oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

olyinaz wrote:
Griff wrote:More weight forward w/o increasing bore riding length. Possibly increases downrange stability as it may reduce disturnace in yaw as it drops into subsonic speeds.
OK, I found something on it. S&B calls the bullet an SPCE for "Soft Point Cut-trough Edge". It looks like they offer it in some other, mostly European, chamberings as well. I guess it's designed for greater tissue damage but I just don't think I buy that. The edge/shelf allegedly helps to mechanically lock in the soft core.
http://www.sellier-bellot.cz/most-recom ... rtcuts.php
Thanks,
oly
Probably a better theory than my SWAG! Although, unless the gilding mat'l is thicker on those corners, it seems they would serve as great "break" points for the nose to collapse back into the core... interesting concept. Certainly "outside-the-box!" :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

Looks like Speers 308 plinker.
Terry
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Actually, it can be used in the earlier versions of the 8mm X 57mm that came in .318, 3215, and the .323 bore diameters. The theory is that the smaller diameter of the forward section of the bullet rides in the minor bore diameter, then the larger circumference would be easier to swage to the rifling.
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

Ok that does make sence!
Terry
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Really? European stuff often looks weird.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

It will punch a clean hole in a paper target like a SWC.
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

This bullet looks similar to a number of bullets designed back in the 1950's for metric calibers and were popular. I am wanting to say RWS, maybe Norma and one or two others. One name comes to mind for the bullet was torpedo or some such. Were intended to hold together in thick skinned game. They had and have some good designs but were pricey, but didn't really catch on in the U.S.A. for costs reasons and calibers it was made in. Sorry maybe Cartridges of the World may show some I believe it was popular in 8MM and 9.3 stuff. Just winging it and I could be all wrong. Maybe someone from Europe or near there may be more familar with this bullet design. I don't think it is something really new. Get a round or two and cut it in half lengthwise to see what all goes into it. Have a good weekend.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Old Time Hunter said the same thing that came to mind first
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

The larger diameter is cut by/rides the rifling, the groove dia., and the smaller portion rides the bore dia. In lead bullets I think it's called a "Bore Rider"...? :?:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

See what Cliff wrote. I recall seeing drawings of European manufactured metric ammunition back in the old 1960's Stoeger's catalogues. Some may have been loaded for a few of the British calibres as well, but I can not say for sure.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Cliff wrote:This bullet looks similar to a number of bullets designed back in the 1950's for metric calibers and were popular. I am wanting to say RWS, maybe Norma and one or two others. One name comes to mind for the bullet was torpedo or some such. Were intended to hold together in thick skinned game. They had and have some good designs but were pricey, but didn't really catch on in the U.S.A. for costs reasons and calibers it was made in. Sorry maybe Cartridges of the World may show some I believe it was popular in 8MM and 9.3 stuff. Just winging it and I could be all wrong. Maybe someone from Europe or near there may be more familar with this bullet design. I don't think it is something really new. Get a round or two and cut it in half lengthwise to see what all goes into it. Have a good weekend.
Yes, that's what S&B gets at in their description of the bullet. I get the impression that it's just another means of "locking" the core.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright