45-70 double

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 45-70 double

Post by TedH »

Best wishes and prayers sent for both of them.
NRA Life Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Family and health first. We can all wait. Prayers up!!!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have an old double 20 gauge from FIE which I haven't shot in years. Whenever Paco gets the time to get back to us, My old double might just become a shooter again.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
six_gunz
Levergunner

Post by six_gunz »

This is something I'd definitely be interested in. Hope all is well and get well soon!
I don't hunt for the kill, I kill for the hunt!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

prayers up for Paco and his family. blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

Hi All,

I'll add my 'two cents'.....I've got a 12 guage double that hasn't been fired in twenty years....victim of the 12 guage pump. I was thinking just today that I shouldn't have to buy another firearm...I've got more projects in the works or in the planning than I can complete before I'm seventy! I'll be taking good notes!

Prayers sent for Mr and Mrs Paco!!
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

My prayers as well for Mrs. Kelly and friend Paco. I would really enjoy a write up on a 45/70 double!!

Steve
crow
Levergunner

Post by crow »

Yes mate, very much so. I am currently in love with the Kodiak MK IV double rifle in 45/70 so this would be a blessing.

BTW, I am assuming out of interest, would this same process work with a U/O shotgun?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paco, to busy hurrying to get a reply in and only just saw your situation. Though a Faithless man I will say "Godspeed" and most profound

wishes for you and your good wife.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

my interest is in the change of the the shotgun fireing pins to not retract causng the gun to hang up???
Little Doc
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Little Doc »

a lot of interest here. i check back often to see what Paco has to say. sad to see no info yet. but i have a question. Jim T can you give us an up date on Paco and wife. your last info was in may. i am sure everyone would be interested in their health. unless of course we would be intruding on their privacy. my well wishes go to Paco and wife.
Little Doc
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

In the current American Rifleman is a "Dope Bag" report on a Polish-manufactured hammer side-by-side shotgun. While it is expensive for the product, it also appears to be well made, and well designed for heavy loading. Considering the apparent wall thickness of the barrels, I suspect this shotgun would be the basis for a safe double rifle, not necessarily limited to 45-70 conversion.

Considering the machine's apparent over-design, I suspect some lobbying or a barrage of queries might impel the manufacturer and/or importer to offer a double rifle on the platform.

Just some thoughts.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
44magHunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44magHunter »

Yes, that would be awsome. :mrgreen: Pictures........ :wink:
Levergun: Marlin, Ruger, Hornaday, Henry, Williams, Leupold
Black Gun: AeroPrecision, Magpul, Streamlight, Remington, McMillan, Sierra, Badger Ordinance, Harris, Jewel Triggers, Leupold
Archery: Hoyt, GoldTip, Axcel/TruBall, FeatherVision, Specialty, AAE, VaneTec, Doinker, ZeroTolerance, TopHat, Leupold
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Yes, I wanna see pictures.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

http://www.pioneer-pac.com/

http://www.americanrifleman.org/Article ... 24&id=1965

To request you to become members of the National Rifle Association would not be out of place or rude, would it? Were you, you would have these data already.

There is no downside to joining.

Hope this helps.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

A subtle re-styling of the receiver bosses, and closer-set hammer spurs (a-la: 1878 Colt/TTN) would make it IDEAL, IMNSHO...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
CoopertownBob
Levergunner

Post by CoopertownBob »

A hearty "Here-Here!" to that, Paco! 45-70 is one of my favorite cartridges! Also, when are you going to do that article on the 30-30 IMP you spoke of many moons ago? I've acquired a suitable rifle for the project now, but was waiting until you did the article so I could read it and know what to expect; i.e. no surprises.
---> Coopertown Bob <---
"You can be as stupid as you want to be, just don't expect me to be stupid right along with you!"
jebb45
Levergunner

Post by jebb45 »

:roll: For those that are interested in a double 45-70, there is another source.......MCA Sports/ACE Bullet Company. Contact Ace Dubbe at lilred@sinbad.net and he can fix you up with what you need. I have the StageCoach 12 gauge w/20 inch barrels and now I have 18 inch barrel inserts in 45-70 that slip right into each barrel. I followed his instructions and am able to get 2-2 1/2 inch groups at 75 yards. At 100 yards, I can keeps all 5 shots in a 4 inch circle with open sights . This makes on hell of a close brush gun. Tried it this season and it works outstanding. 2 shots and 2 deer DRT. Contact Ace and he can help with your needs.

jebb45
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Jebb45,

How much?
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
jebb45
Levergunner

Post by jebb45 »

Travis......
By the time the 2 barrels got to my door, the cost was $316.00. That makes the barrels $158.00 each. I know the cost of everything is going up, so if I were you, I would call him and find out what the cost would be. Whatever the cost, it is very reasonable for what you get. If you figure it out, you are gettin a whole new gun in the deal. Not to mention a gun that you already have and that fits you. I have been looking for a double rifle for about 10-15 years and just could not see spending the kind of money they were asking [1400-3000] dollars, and you only have a double rifle. The way I did it, I still have my shotgun, and I keep the 45-70 barrels with it along with a 100 rounds of ammo. It can't get any better than that. I makes for one Hell Of A double purpose firearm. Its outstanding!!!!!!!!!

jebb45 :D :D :D
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

I'm wondering where a guy would find a double rifle for from 1400 to 3000 dollars. I don't think I've ever seen them.
44magHunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44magHunter »

Must see that! :D
Need some pics too. :wink:
Levergun: Marlin, Ruger, Hornaday, Henry, Williams, Leupold
Black Gun: AeroPrecision, Magpul, Streamlight, Remington, McMillan, Sierra, Badger Ordinance, Harris, Jewel Triggers, Leupold
Archery: Hoyt, GoldTip, Axcel/TruBall, FeatherVision, Specialty, AAE, VaneTec, Doinker, ZeroTolerance, TopHat, Leupold
2fewdaysafield
Levergunner

Post by 2fewdaysafield »

Here you go.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =149591758

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =148831640

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =150025105

Also, until recently Remington was importing a Baikal double rifle that went for about $1,000. Countn't find one on GB though.
jebb45
Levergunner

Post by jebb45 »

Akray..........
Look up Kodiak dbl rifle, 45-70, sights, 24 inch barrels with hammers..........last one I saw was $2295.00. That was 5 years ago. They probably bring a lot more now. The way I put together my setup, you can get several different calibers. Most are of the low pressure design or straight wall design. I am also looking at a 30-30 or 30-40 set of barrels. Later on I will be looking at a set of barrels in 22 Hornet for my 410 stagecoach. I think it is one HELL of a good setup. A person can't go wrong....! :D :) :D :) :D :)
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

You're right jebb45. I remember the Kodiak double, and they do go for about that price. The Valmet over and under rifles are in that range too. When I think double rifle though, I think side by side and in big calibers. That's what threw me.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Yes please, could be an interesting read, and if it is not too difficult, a good project.
jebb45
Levergunner

Post by jebb45 »

:D
This is how I put my 45-70 double rifle together....

The 45-70 has been my life long love. I shot my first whitetail deer with a 1873 Trapdoor Springfield, in 1960 and have had a love for this cartridge every since. I have cast bullets for this caliber every since, and I have put more lead down range from this cartridge than all of the other calibers I load for put together. I have since aquired several bullet molds for all the weights from 300 gr to the 540 gr.
I have always wanted a double rifle in 45-70, and dreamed many nights of how I was going to find 2500 to 3000 dollars for such a rifle. I finally came to the conclusion that it would not happen in my lifetime and I had almost given up. I was reading a gun rag or a friend told me of a web sight(can't remember which) called MCA Sports/ACE Bullet Company. The fine gentleman that I got in contact (lilred@sinbad.net) Explained how my dream could finally come true. Mr. Dubbie told me that he makes inserts that will fit in a shotgun barrel. Behold my Cowboy Stagecoach Shotgun has now become a dual purpose firearm. I ordered (2) barrels 18 inches long, and in 45-70 caliber. At the time the cost was $316.00 to my door, its probably more now with raise in materials? The waite time was 2-3 weeks but I have to say it was well worth the waite. It took some time to get things lined out but man what a dream. The muzzle of the barrels are turned of center some 5-7 thousands, you turn the barrel in the shotgun chamber to get it zeroed. Right barrel first and then the left barrel. Once you have each barrel zeroed, mark the chamber end with a mark so you can return the barrel to zero, if you ever take them out. I do not load anything maximum, only to Trapdoor spec's, and the dbl rifle shoots fantastic. With 350 gr cast bullets, AA2230 powder, lrg rifle primers, I can run 1400-1600 fps all day long and its a pleasure to shoot. With a box of shotgun shells and a box of 45-70 ammo, I am ready for anything (pig gun deluxe). Contact ACE DUBBIE at the above web sight, he can help. I am thinking maybe 22 Hornet in my 410 double stagecoach is in the future. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

jebb45
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

jebb45 wrote::D
This is how I put my 45-70 double rifle together....

The 45-70 has been my life long love. I shot my first whitetail deer with a 1873 Trapdoor Springfield, in 1960 and have had a love for this cartridge every since. I have cast bullets for this caliber every since, and I have put more lead down range from this cartridge than all of the other calibers I load for put together. I have since aquired several bullet molds for all the weights from 300 gr to the 540 gr.
I have always wanted a double rifle in 45-70, and dreamed many nights of how I was going to find 2500 to 3000 dollars for such a rifle. I finally came to the conclusion that it would not happen in my lifetime and I had almost given up. I was reading a gun rag or a friend told me of a web sight(can't remember which) called MCA Sports/ACE Bullet Company. The fine gentleman that I got in contact (lilred@sinbad.net) Explained how my dream could finally come true. Mr. Dubbie told me that he makes inserts that will fit in a shotgun barrel. Behold my Cowboy Stagecoach Shotgun has now become a dual purpose firearm. I ordered (2) barrels 18 inches long, and in 45-70 caliber. At the time the cost was $316.00 to my door, its probably more now with raise in materials? The waite time was 2-3 weeks but I have to say it was well worth the waite. It took some time to get things lined out but man what a dream. The muzzle of the barrels are turned of center some 5-7 thousands, you turn the barrel in the shotgun chamber to get it zeroed. Right barrel first and then the left barrel. Once you have each barrel zeroed, mark the chamber end with a mark so you can return the barrel to zero, if you ever take them out. I do not load anything maximum, only to Trapdoor spec's, and the dbl rifle shoots fantastic. With 350 gr cast bullets, AA2230 powder, lrg rifle primers, I can run 1400-1600 fps all day long and its a pleasure to shoot. With a box of shotgun shells and a box of 45-70 ammo, I am ready for anything (pig gun deluxe). Contact ACE DUBBIE at the above web sight, he can help. I am thinking maybe 22 Hornet in my 410 double stagecoach is in the future. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

jebb45
The website is http://www.mcace.com/ .... BUT, I emailed about a set for my 16ga hammergun and they never replied...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jebb45
Levergunner

Post by jebb45 »

Ironsighter::::
Be patient, he will get back to you. It may take a few days, hang in there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

jebb45 wrote:Ironsighter::::
Be patient, he will get back to you. It may take a few days, hang in there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was before I moved to Wyoming in September. ;)

I'm in no hurry. I'll try again.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jebb45
Levergunner

Post by jebb45 »

:D :D
Old Ironsighter::::
There is a phone number on his web site, try it, he should answer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KEEP TRYING !!!!!!!!!!!!!

jebb45
madman
Levergunner

Re: 45-70

Post by madman »

That Double project sounds nice. I LOVE my 45-70 Handgun, it is fun to let people shoot it and see the reaction on there Face when it goes of.... HA HA I get a chuckle every time.
Lee Mitchell
Levergunner

Post by Lee Mitchell »

I have a pre WWII Sterling 12ga side by side I would love to do this to. I would think 2 barrel inserts could be made. For weight they would need to be carbon fiber bull barrels the outside machined tight to inside barrel dimension. Wow, if that would work, then you could load one side or both. Am I close? Or am I out there? :idea:
Lee Mitchell
Levergunner

Post by Lee Mitchell »

Check this out is this the answer to the question? :mrgreen:

http://www.mcace.com/shotguninserts.htm
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Lee Mitchell wrote:Check this out is this the answer to the question? :mrgreen:

http://www.mcace.com/shotguninserts.htm
Biggest problem with Ace's inserts is that they are only 18" long.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Lee Mitchell
Levergunner

Post by Lee Mitchell »

I can't think of what else Paco was thinking..., EAA has something better, its what I would think is the best deal without a lathe. Must be heavy as hell too...,
http://www.eaacorp.com/parts-more-acces ... serts.html
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

Lee Mitchell wrote:I can't think of what else Paco was thinking..., EAA has something better, its what I would think is the best deal without a lathe. Must be heavy as hell too...,
Just imagine.......weight training & recreational shooting all rolled into one.
Just add a set of wheels and call it artillery.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

Lee Mitchell wrote:I can't think of what else Paco was thinking..., EAA has something better, its what I would think is the best deal without a lathe. Must be heavy as hell too...,
If they would make the little plug at the end of the barrel screw onto the incert rather then into the shotgun barrel choke threads this could fit any shotgun...I would think.
Terry
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

Baikal markets a rather attractive looking S/S double rifle in .45-70 GVT for around $975 called the ARTEMIDIA MP-221 45-70 double rifle.

It is by no means a Westley Richards covered in scroll work & fancy engraving but it doesn't cost as much as a luxury car either.

I have a Baikal IZH-94 O/U in 12 gauge/.308 Win & it is a good looking & solidly built gun & comes in at considerably less than $1000.

The .308 Winchester barrel in my IZH-94 gives me 3/4" groups with the 180 grain Nosler spitzer Federal High Energy ammo.......that's better accuracy than some of my bolt action rifles !!!! :shock:

The Baikal is a high quality gun that people who have never even held one in their hands like to verbally denigrate like they do the Rossi firearms.

I have no interest in double rifles basically for the reason that they're too darn heavy.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

pricedo wrote:..I have no interest in double rifles basically for the reason that they're too darn heavy.
I think that's pretty much the point of Doubles.

Heavy enough to tame big-bore recoil - twice.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

My only problem with buying a Baikal is the concern that, like Rossi, they might change hands repeatedly, change suppliers a few times, then, not have parts! Baikal actually makes a pump/auto shotgun I wanted for 3 gun, and that's why I didn't buy it.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

pricedo wrote:Baikal markets a rather attractive looking S/S double rifle in .45-70 GVT for around $975 called the ARTEMIDIA MP-221 45-70 double rifle.

It is by no means a Westley Richards covered in scroll work & fancy engraving but it doesn't cost as much as a luxury car either.

I have a Baikal IZH-94 O/U in 12 gauge/.308 Win & it is a good looking & solidly built gun & comes in at considerably less than $1000.

The .308 Winchester barrel in my IZH-94 gives me 3/4" groups with the 180 grain Nosler spitzer Federal High Energy ammo.......that's better accuracy than some of my bolt action rifles !!!! :shock:

The Baikal is a high quality gun that people who have never even held one in their hands like to verbally denigrate like they do the Rossi firearms.

I have no interest in double rifles basically for the reason that they're too darn heavy.
Do you have a link? I searched Google but could not find anything.
Thanks
Terry
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Baikal is once again being distributed by Eaa Corp ( http://www.eaacorp.com )

Can you tell us more about this....Baikal IZH-94 O/U in 12 gauge/.308 Win

Is it a switch barrel or does it use inserted tubes?

Pictures woiuld be great!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

rbertalotto wrote:Baikal is once again being distributed by Eaa Corp ( http://www.eaacorp.com )

Can you tell us more about this....Baikal IZH-94 O/U in 12 gauge/.308 Win

Is it a switch barrel or does it use inserted tubes?

Pictures woiuld be great!
Double trigger system..........one for 12 gauge (O) ........the other for .308 Win (U).

Great mixed bag hunting gun.

I have a 2-7x33mm Leupold installed on mine with Warne QD mounts with return to "zero" capability.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Thanks.............Sounds nice
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

BTW....I've had two of those Baikal side by side rifles in my hands. I don't usually make negative comments because one mans trash is another.............

BUT........those rifles are very "rough"...........In fact, they are extremely "rough".................Nuff said. Sorry if you have one and I offended.

It's a shame, because most other Baikal rifles I've handled from their target 22RF to the cowboy shotguns and the over under are excellent..........It's your dime!

And one more thing, I just emailed EAA about the shotgun barrel inserts............Reply:

"Yes sir we still have some . Need to call 1-800-536-4442 ext 201"

Now I just need to find an EAA IZH43 shotgun.............
Last edited by rbertalotto on Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

rbertalotto wrote:Thanks.............Sounds nice
I GOOGLED "Baikal IZH-94" & was literally drowned in images of & descriptions of the gun so posting a picture here would be an unnecessary redundancy.

The only problem some might have with the gun is that with the scope attached it is a bit on the heavy side.

I don't think it's heavy at all compared with some scoped bolt actions that don't have anywhere near the versatility.

On the other hand since it's a break open action it can be disassembled & carried in a pack sack or luggage quite easily.

Break open actions are incredibly safe as you can see with a flick of a lever & a glance whether it's loaded or not.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

I'll add my ditto's.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Just to keep this thread going. I finally purchased a Shotgun with the EAA 45-70 inserts. Love it! Great fun to shoot and charging 1 gallon water jugs are stopped in their tracks!

Many more pictures here:

http://public.fotki.com/Rbertalotto/thi ... -bounty-h/
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

But wait……….There’s more!

Recently I’ve become enamored with dangerous game, high bucks, double rifles. Since I don’t have the means to buy a “real” double rifle, I bought a shotgun converted to a double 45-70. I’m having a ball shooting extremely dangerous charging paper targets. Hey, papercuts hurt like the dickens!

But one of our Egg Shooting fraternity has an amazing example of the Double Rifle genre. A Double 500 Nitro Express. And he offered to bring it to the shoot and let me fire a couple of barrels. To say the rifle is a piece of art would be an understatement. It is a 1904 Holland and Holland with the most perfect wood, fit and finish and delicate engraving I’d ever seen.

I got to shoot a charging 1 gallon milk jug. That milk jug won’t be bothering any folks from now on!

Here’s a video of the DR event…….

http://youtu.be/mWv3xUmCN6o

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWv3xUmCN6o

Man, that was great fun!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com