OT - fishin's been great

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bdhold

OT - fishin's been great

Post by bdhold »

Saturday on the Guadalupe, I caught the rainbow of my career, 27" and 7 lbs.
It was on a cane rod built in 1932, and with a very light tip.
On a size 22 midge and 5x tippet.
I'm gonna need a bigger net...

To show you there are "normal" trout on the Guad
I was fishing a rubber egg (Potter's milking egg) threaded through the leader with a needle, followed by a bare hook, a piece of 5x tippet, and the midge dropper. You can see the rubber egg bumped up against my split shot - the little fish is on the bare hook - and if you look straight down from my pinkie, you can see the size 22 midge.

But even better than that, Monday my daughter and I loaded up the kayaks and headed to the coast.
I had already checked the weather, and knew Monday would be the best day for us to fish, so we headed straight to the water.

Here she is coming off the channel
she's towing the bait bucket behind her - we did real justice to a pint of shrimp.
Her first fish, a nice little rat red - below the 20-28" slot limit in TX, but great fare on a light rod, and I release reds anyway.
She was fishing a Falcon 6-1/2' spinning rod with a Penn 4200 SS ultralight, and 8-lb. spiderwire.
I didn't come prepared with a stringer, but when I caught my first spec (seatrout), 19", I made do with my pliers and a line from the boat.
I quietly added another to the stringer, and she really started getting into the fishing.
I was fishing my Lew's Saltwater baitcaster with a new Lamiglas Rogue River 8-1/2' rod. I love fishing long rods on the flats, and this one is rated nicely, 3/8-2oz. which will cover just about all inshore needs.
We were tossing shrimp on a bare hook below a styrofoam clicking bobber (Mansfield Mauler) and no weight.
My baitcaster did very well with little-to-no weight - I was very happy with it.
In addition to reds and specs, we were catching sheepshead, and they're an altogether different animal on the flats than at the jetties - they really want to get back to deep water. You can see what a bend they put in the rod
sorry I didn't photo one, but they were honking fish - 14-16 inches, and almost that tall, but with their funky mouths and armored heads, I had no way to string one up, but I did get bitten (very solidly) trying to string the first one - so we let them go (they're also hateful to fillet).
Getting down to the last two shrimp, the line was shot on her reel, from the pull of the fish jamming her line under the wrap on the spool, so we called it.
We got a dozen fish each, and some great table fare in four keeper trout
A good morning on the flats.

And to put something on here that's about shooting, when Tuesday cooled on us, she started shooting her pellet gun. Her best 10m group was 4 bullseyes out of 5 shots...
Last edited by bdhold on Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - fishin's been great

Post by rjohns94 »

awesome post!!!!!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Now, that's a good story and great pics..... :!:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

The trout were perfect - 8 beautiful fillets, and we fed 6 people - no crumbs.
They never saw the freezer.
I soak my fillets in ice water for at least 24 hours (up to 3 days). Drain them at least a half hour on each side and spice the side that's up - lemon pepper, and I like dill or Italian seasoning, lightly flour, and sauteed in browning butter 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
Had fresh green beans stir-fried in olive oil and garlic, rice, garlic bread, and my girlfriend made candied sweet potatoes. It was a feast.

Oh yeah, not talking about the rainbow - he's still in the Guad
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I fixed the wife rainbow trout for supper tonight. I ordered them in from my local Publix supermarket. They were real nice but I didn't get to catch them.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Nice trout and a good day of fishing with your daughter, we have the kamloops strain of bows in the kootenai river and Koocanusa lake best Ive done is 15 lbs. A 33-34 lber was caught a few years back, they get fat on kokanee. danny
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

Bulldog you've got a way with pictures and a story. And we got a cooking lesson to boot.

Enjoyed it.

T.
"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast."
--Proverbs 12:10
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Can't beat that!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

It is hard to beat the quality time you spend with your children :D
Thanks for sharing :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Way cool, thanks for sharing. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Excellent post! I'm looking forward to getting my flyline in the water in another month or so.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Congratulations Bulldog! Thats as good as it gets, indeed.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Kirk, you might like this post on a local fishing board - it's my story of the big trout

http://www.lonestarfishing.com/?q=node/4881

Here is a pretty hen I caught two weeks earlier - she was in fast pocketwater and made blazing runs
(overcast day makes for great fish photography)
she's 22", and shows the size of my net for size reference to the big fish...

I would love to get up your way to fish. I have a friend and fellow reel collector who guides the Bow
http://www.bowriveradventures.com/
I know that's way west for you.

I also know Ian Colin James, closer to home for you
http://www3.sympatico.ca/ianjames/

thanks for all the kind replies, guys.
BigSky, Montana is on my list, too...

but I have to admit, I love living in s. Texas because we have 12 mo/yr fishing, big rainbows, the salt flats, and hill country river bass.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Awesome post...and really good pics too.....

This reminds me....I need to start building my fly rod...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Southern Bamboo
Levergunner

Post by Southern Bamboo »

Nice post... nice pics... nice Fish!

This is the 'bamboo' from my handle here...

Built a Bill Oyster Rod in '05, love that thing! I'll have to post some pics someday soon...

Tight lines!

Southern Bamboo...
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Bill does great work - I met him in Austin at a fly fishing expo a few years ago - I was manning the GRTU booth, and his booth was just next to ours. You could still get a guide grade rod from him then for $700. Now the cheapest he offers is $1800, and the wait is a bit.
The rod he built for Jimmy Carter exemplifies his work.
http://oysterbamboo.com/files/carter_collage3.pdf

I have a gang of bamboo, my only new rods are a DR Stone Thomas Light Special and John Pickard Driggs.
The cane rod I was fishing on top is an 8-1/2' Thomas Special, cap stamped 8 (medium trout) that dates to Fred's days in the shop. The reel also is a Young pattern 15a, which Thomas sold as the Thomas Special reel.

The fly rod in my second post up is discontinued Japanese glass, Quiet Loop vf805 and is a fantastic rod. That reel is imported by my friend Tom, and sold as a Fishon Kodiak agate.
http://www.blackbearflyfishing.com/serv ... sic/Detail
It was based on the Japanese CAPS Classic Trout which copied the first model St. George, but then I helped Tom work out the agate idea, copied from a prewar Young, and he gave me s/n 001.

when I was fishing with my daughter, there was fish sign everywhere. Slashing trout, jumping bait. I even had a trout grab my bobber and run off with it, and didn't touch the shrimp dragging behind it. It was really perfect conditions for fly fishing for specs, which I love. Had a fly rod in the hold, but I've learned fishing with girls and bait, it's best to join them, because I will spend the whole time baiting, anyway.
Last edited by bdhold on Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Southern Bamboo
Levergunner

Post by Southern Bamboo »

I'm up the road from Bill O. He used to live close, now he's in Blue Ridge, GA - up near trophy trout waters here in GA!

Built mine from a culm of Tonkin Cane, with him looking over his shoulder.

When I met him, he hadn't done the Gun and Garden Premier Issue cover/story yet, filmed here in N. GA, where he took JC for fishing w/ that rod you mentioned.

He had to ask the US Gov't to get permission to engrave the Presidential Seal. Couldn't find anyone who engraved to his standards, so he learned himself... he's VERY good.

And his rods are worth it. You can build one yourself for around $1300... :D

Love that boo! I put an old cheapie Pflueger Medalist reel on it... 8)

Southern Bamboo...
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

jealous does not begin to describe me! i loved fishing on the guadalupe! that trout is bigger than the state record from back in the early '80s when i was there!
cable
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:mrgreen: You can't beat the combo of canoes/kayaks, fishing, kids, and shooting! :mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Hobie wrote::mrgreen: You can't beat the combo of canoes/kayaks, fishing, kids, and shooting! :mrgreen:
Here, here! :D
Old Law Dawg
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

hfcable wrote:jealous does not begin to describe me! i loved fishing on the guadalupe! that trout is bigger than the state record from back in the early '80s when i was there!
You wouldn't recognize it now, because it's all midges and BWO's.

I know Scott Graham was releasing 9 and 10-lb trout even back then. He just didn't care about a record, and you had to kill a fish to get one then - up until year-before-last.

What we had back in your day (no offense, it was my day, too) was thick wild watercress (ruella is what I always call it) and every time we climbed out of the water, our boots were covered with caddis worms. My previous best was a 26" from April 2002 in thick, thick caddis hatch. That summer, the 2002 flood completely scoured the river, and we started over from scratch. It was 3 years until I saw the first caddis return. Just last year we got permits to transplant ruella (watercress) from the upper river, starting at the dam. Yesterday, fishing along Ingram's ranch, I saw the first wild stand of ruella.

It's all different from when you were here. The Kanz grandkids sold that lease to condo builders. (The lower weir is busted through at Kanz, and it's a fast chute now.) The Beans kids sold that land to Ingram. You can still get to both places with a long hump, and they actually fish better now than they did then. We've secured a flow agreement with GBRA through court battles, and a "trophy regulation" section from mile 4 to mile 10. We made it into the second edition of 100 Best Trout Streams in America - I fished with John Ross on that trip when he fell in love with our river. He also included some beautiful photos in his later book, Rivers of Restoration.
Yeah, the Guad is worth working for...
and as I've been told once before, if we were true to her Spanish heritage, we would call her the Lupe instead of the Guad.
Last edited by bdhold on Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Well someday I hope to fish the Lupe again,
Thanks so much for the pictures and the info!
cable