Rusty Range Report ..... .38's in a Puma 92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
antilley
Levergunner 1.0

Rusty Range Report ..... .38's in a Puma 92

Post by antilley »

Kiddo and I went and shot some of our reloads and had a ball.

Attached is a 5 shot group at 40 yards.... (38's 158gr Copper plated 4.8 unique CCI 500) The three to the right are bench rest and the top and bottom are off hand. I was pleased, but certainly not sharpshooter status. But, love shooting the puma in both rounds.

We had a ball shooting 12 gauge slugs, 357's and 30-30 rounds down to about 110 yards. We shot a lot of rounds and about midway through the pencil head next to us starting shooting at our target with his black gun. I don't know why people do that, but I guess I am just too nice and didn't say anything. He finally figured out it was our box / target when we turned it over with a slug.... Best we could tell we shot at about 45% on a 12 by 12 box at that yardage ..... We were shooting high with the 30 30..... (Both of us shooting ... switching rounds and guns back and forth)

I don't know why the $1200 black guns bother me so much... the good news is my 15 year old son LOVES shooting with iron sights.... I know there are black guns that are tack drivers.... but from my few months back in the shooting game there seems to be at least a few pulling the trigger that can't hit a barn. and the feeling is great when my kid can get a lever gun as close as some of the black gun guys

We came back with more brass than when we left and had a great time ....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Rusty Range Report ..... .38's in a Puma 92

Post by AJMD429 »

antilley wrote:I know there are black guns that are tack drivers.... but from my few months back in the shooting game there seems to be at least a few pulling the trigger that can't hit a barn. and the feeling is great when my kid can get a lever gun as close as some of the black gun guys.
It's always fun to outshoot someone with something they might consider 'inferior' technology. (It would be just as fun I suppose for an 'assault weapon' shooter to show up at a 'buffalo gun' match and win the prize, but somehow it just seems even cooler when it is the 'primitive' technology that wins... :wink: ).

Mostly it isn't the type of gun that is annoying, but rather it's the 'nut behind the trigger' that determines whether or not the guy shooting next to you is annoying or not, and there are plenty of annoying/incompetent/dangerous types shooting new guns, old guns, big guns, little guns, handguns, shotguns, rifles, sub-guns, semi-autos, full-autos, lever-guns, bolt-guns, and single-shots.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Post by Cimarron »

I know what you mean by the "inferior technology" thing. My shooting buddy and I were at the range today shooting .22's out to 50 yards. He had his new Kimber DCM target rifle with 4 x 9 scope and I had my old Marlin 39A with a Marlin 4x scope. At 25 yards I was making one nice 1" hole in the center of my targets. At 50 yards it opened up a little but it was still better than his groups. Now out beyond 50 yards I'm sure the Kimber will shoot rings around my little lever gun. We had a great morning shooting .22's.
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Good range report - now we just need pictures of the gun too! :D