Replacement bullet seater plug for Hornady Dies?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Shodan
Levergunner

Replacement bullet seater plug for Hornady Dies?

Post by Shodan »

I have dies for my .45-70 from hornady. With their bullet seating die, they use their sleeve system that slides and "aligns" the bullet when you run it up into the die before it is seated with the seater plug. Hornady's bullet seater plug/stem is machined and made for their leverevolution bullet, and not for most of the other .45-70 bullets which have a very flat and wide meplat. My question is, does anyone know of a company that makes a replacement stem for typical flat and wide .45-70 bullets that fit the Hornady dies? instead of the conical leverevolution bullet?
Hobie

Re: Replacement bullet seater plug for Hornady Dies?

Post by Hobie »

Hornady SHOULD make one as that is all there was before the Leverevolution bullets, heck they still make those bullets, too. Have you called and asked?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Shodan
Levergunner

Post by Shodan »

yeah, i ended up calling, and they told me that there were not any replacements.... but after talking further i wasn't sure that we were talking about the same thing, but I had to go because of my schedule. But I have been unable to find anything on their website for a replacement.
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

They have flat nose replacements, one came with my .357 dies along with the cone type seater. A quick fix would be to simply fill the cone seater with an epoxy such as JB Weld after thoroughly degreasing it. That would give you the flat punch you desire.
Shodan
Levergunner

Post by Shodan »

retmech wrote:They have flat nose replacements, one came with my .357 dies along with the cone type seater. A quick fix would be to simply fill the cone seater with an epoxy such as JB Weld after thoroughly degreasing it. That would give you the flat punch you desire.
yeah! thanks. I have a kit of jb weld sitting on my shelf staring me in the face, and i didn't think of that.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

I have called Hornady twice, both times they were helpful. I needed flat bullet seater plug for a 50 AK and a 510 GNR. Both times they sent me the plugs free of charge :D