OT; Anyone load & shoot the 22 WCF???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

OT; Anyone load & shoot the 22 WCF???

Post by Old No7 »

Here's my dilemma gang...

Been looking at a nice 'ol original Winchester Low Wall with a 1/2 round-1/2 octagon #1 barrel (with ebony in forearm tip), that's in really nice condition with a bright shiny bore. I have 2 High Walls now (1 original, 1 new), and I've been wanting a nice Low Wall for a long time. Potential problem is, the barrel is marked "22 WCF".

From the research I've done so far, I've learned that:

* Some folks tell me "the brass is the same" as the 22 Hornet, which replaced it.

* Some others say "it is close and might work" (but rims may need to be trimmed).

* Still others say "the brass isn't the issue, but maybe the bore is -- as most original WCFs were bore to 0.228" so the typical Hornet bullets won't shoot well.

Does anybody here have any experience with this round???
Low Wall WCF (Small).jpg
Sure would appreciate your thoughts and experiences!

Oh, and just for other options, I can get a NIB Winchester (made in Japan) Low Wall in 22 Hornet for $500 less than the old original...

Need your help to figure out "what to do"... Thanks!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Hobie

Re: OT; Anyone load & shoot the 22 WCF???

Post by Hobie »

Isn't this the second time you've asked this?

Nonte says "Full length sized 22 hornet cases may chamber. If not, size in 22 WCF die. Use .226" bullets."
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Old originals are desirable but the "new" low wall Hornet sounds like less bother and the .22 Hornet is a sweet little round, I've never even seen a .22WCF, sorry.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Could it be re- chambered to 22 Savage???

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I'm of the opinion that every one of these .22WCF's that you see need to be assessed on an individual basis. I have no experience with the cartridge, but all of the rumors I've heard indicate to me that the bore sizes range widely. I'm sure the chamber sizes do also. I've always wanted to play with one, but like was mentioned before, decided to just buy the Uberti in Hornet instead. Seemed less of a chance to me. I do have a low wall in 25-20 SS and it is a dandy shooter...perhaps your money would be better spent on one of those instead.

Ed