Warning about Midway

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Warning about Midway

Post by Kansas Ed »

Well folks, I'm going to pass on a little information which was related to me by their customer service agent yesterday. Most may find it irrelevant, but for me it creates a problem, and I suspect for many others it will too.

I placed an order on Sunday...took them till Thursday to ship it...so it started off less than optimal. I live one day away from them in shippping, so I checked the UPS tracking on Friday afternoon. It wasn't left at my door, but was slated for redelivery. I called UPS and asked why they didn't leave it, and they said it was up to the driver...so I asked to arrange it to be picked up at the local UPS depot...they told me that Midway won't allow pickups at the depot...to call Midway and see if other arrangements could be made. So I called Midway and they told me their new policy is that ALL PACKAGES MUST BE LEFT AT THE ADDRESS, AND WOULD NOT BE PICKED UP AT THE DEPOT! I asked why, and they said that their new contract with UPS was the reason, because Midway sells FFL specific components that they (midway) decided to no longer accepted pickups on their shipping....even though I didn't order any FFL specific items.

Now...If both persons work and there is no way to be home during delivery...and if your driver won't leave it on the doorstop...you are basically looking at the package getting returned. My situation is just that. So that ends my orders with Midway and I told them so. I'm not badmouthing them as I've gotten reasonable service from them for 20 years, but my situation and I'm sure many others won't allow for this ordering system.

Just keeping everyone informed.

Ed
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Warning about Midway

Post by J Miller »

Ed,

I haven't run into any of that yet. My last order just a couple weeks ago was left at the door by the USPS. When I make my orders I always check the section of available delivery methods. Normally I choose USPS, and so far they have always had the least expensive delivery charges. Thus far I've never had a problem.

If it ever comes to UPS or nothing, I'll do as you did and shop elsewhere.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Dockem
Levergunner

Post by Dockem »

Guess I'm lucky, UPS will leave packages at the door. I've never heard of this policy before, weird and absurd. :?:
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Mighty strange. I have ordered LOTS of stuff from Midway and have never had the slightest problem with the shipping, I have always considered it to be outstanding.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Thanks Ed for the heads up. I'll just cross them off my list and save time looking from now on. I'm getting sick of UPS anyway. The latest issue with them is now they refuse to deliver to my house because they say tree limbs are in the way. As far as I'm concerned from now on it's USPS to my P.O. box or nothing at all. I'm the customer, my money my rules.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I just recv'd order of some Ammo from Midway last week. Left on my porch.
I don't think this is as much of a problem of Midway as it is the UPS. They are starting to really get on my nerves with firearm stuff. I thinks there is conspiracy here. UPS does not get any of my business if I can help it.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

We have the same driver all the time. If you do, talk to him about just leaving it.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

So, just go to the shipping choice box and select USPS when ever possible.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Oh boy, this could be quite a divergent topic. Lots of different things in play here.

First, UPS seems to have different rules in different hubs. Like the Army it seems to depend on the management as to what the drivers are comfortable with doing.

Then, you have some shipper requirements like signatures for certain items. IF your driver knows you and you trust each other (have to have the same driver(s)) then some drivers will sign your name and leave it. Of course they never admit it and you don't but they also know where to put the package so that it is safe. Then you have certain drivers who don't trust anyone... :roll: or apparently don't like anyone and don't do anything for the customer.

There are homes and recipients where the items absolutely shouldn't be left without personally handing it off. This is the why of the trust issues.

UPS does cost less than USPS to some destinations and more to others. I have yet to figure out the pattern. Of course, ORM D and HAZMAT stuff can't ship USPS.

I've noticed that delivery exceptions (not delivering for reasons of weather, lack of person to sign for the item, etc) can be unpredictable and are almost always irritating. I once had a FEDEX guy fail to deliver my CMP item to me at the house because I wasn't there and then not give it to me at either of TWO other places at which we met. :?: We had a short talk when he did deliver to the house. :wink:

I have to wonder at what reason Midway has for eliminating an option for their customers. This doesn't make sense to me. Only firearms would be a legal concern. They are supposed to go to the place of business.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

WEW, that's a relief, I thought it was about Midway, UT, that's where I live :shock: , had me worried for a minute :mrgreen:
Terry
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I always choose USPS Priority Mail. UPS to Hawai'i is not only the most expensive way to ship but they are notorious for losing packages especially firearms either leaving them in plain sight on front porch if not home or leaving them at a neighbor's house. :roll:
FedEx choice #2.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

I havn't used Midway for awhile, but most shippers have a field in checkout for "Special Instructions". Simply specify "No signature required" and "Put in trailer" or similar. This has always worked for me except for items reauiring a signature like ammunition.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I just take a 5 minute drive and pick up my orders. :wink:
NRA Life Member
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Cast Bullet Hunter wrote:I havn't used Midway for awhile, but most shippers have a field in checkout for "Special Instructions". Simply specify "No signature required" and "Put in trailer" or similar. This has always worked for me except for items reauiring a signature like ammunition.
In my experience, the UPS drivers ignore the special instructions. I had the same driver for years and he took care of me, so now it seems like I get a different driver everytime. Some things I don't mind being left unattended at the house, others I don't-that's when I try to use the Special Instructions. I just have to eventually catch the driver at the house and have a friendly FTF chat so he understands what I want. Then he's eager to comply because lots of times I'll let him leave it at my wife's work place and save him an 8 mile trip.

I hate FedEx, but the new driver take better care of me since I helped him get his keys out of his locked van :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I ran into that policy with another company, after three delivery attempts (and no info-notices) they sent it straight back to the shipper with no pick-up period. Another reason to hate UPS. But, it's a theft issue. Identity thieves order things via UPS to phony addresses, then go pick up the packages after three attempts.

Midway will send USPS so I would just select that option if there were no Hazmat items. I try to deal only with companies that will ship USPS on request - some don't.

When it has to be UPS, I place the order with my shipping address as the UPS center's address. Then it goes to the official original address, and I can pick up no problem. There are no delivery attempts. You may run into a discrepancy with your credit card address on file, but most have a "notes" section where you can leave the UPS center's address as a valid address for you.

I think it's amazing in this day and age that they think everybody can sit at home and wait for UPS deliveries. I'm surprised anybody gets any packages at all.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
flusher
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flusher »

Easy solution, has worked all the time

Leave a signed note on the front door saying 'deliver' which covers the driver.
Just make sure the driver can retrieve the note for his record.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Thankfully it's not an issue here because they always leave it on the front patio, but if they would not it would kill the deal for me too. Food for thought: there is a section to leave delivery notes isn't there? If so, one could add, "Please leave at or by the front door."

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

El Chivo wrote:I think it's amazing in this day and age that they think everybody can sit at home and wait for UPS deliveries.
Some of the people you might speak with do seem to have that attitude.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I think some may have misunderstood. There are two things in play here.
1) UPS now requires that all packages are delivered to the address specifically. No pickup at the hub in person with ID...no matter what is in the package.

2) If your driver is OK with leaving packages then you are OK till you get a substitute (for when your reg. driver is on vacation, sick etc.) who won't leave them on your door. I have no idea when my driver is on vacation....so I have to expect the worst. Furthermore, my work hours prohibit picking up packages at the USPO...so since my post office driver won't leave them at the door...I'm out of luck....the PO generally leave me the blasted yellow slip saying I must pick up at the PO...which of course doesn't work now that my son has gone off to college.

Just clarifying....I figured many of you have similar work schedules to mine, and have no one at home to sign for UPS packages...so if you can't pick it up at the depot, and they won't deliver to an uninhabited residence then we're out of luck.

Ed
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

UPS now requires that all packages are delivered to the address specifically.
That's why it works (for me anyway) to have the package addressed specifically to the address of the depot. That way there's no alternative to pickup at the depot. And the shipper will do it if the address is listed on the credit card as a viable address.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

As I refuse to give UPS businees, not a problem for me. I use US postal service delivery.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

newver had any problems with midway....or any others for that matter...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Post by Cimarron »

Gee, I've never ordered from Midway. I guess I'll have to start.
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Wish I could get UPS to even knock on the door when they drop a package! They usually just drop it on the porch and walk away. Only way I know they've been there is if I'm outside when they come, or they accidentally bump the screendoor and I see the animals react.
I stopped buying from Midway when they stopped free shipping on orders over $25, so that should tell you how long it's been for me. Just irritated me, as many times my order was less than $25, but I bought something else jyst to get free shipping. Once it went away I went elsewhere for my reloading and shooting supplies.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Dockem
Levergunner

Post by Dockem »

Hmmm. Don't know if this is routine now or not, but I ordered a scope from Midway, sent UPS. Once it made it to the UPS depot (3/4 mile from my house), it was then delivered to the local Post Office for delivery (???) . My regular postman delivered it, left it on the porch for me (good guy).
I thought this strange as UPS would routinely leave things on the porch before, in fact did so the previous day. Must be a new policy with Midway that UPS can't leave on the porch???

It didn't affect the delivery time any, so I really didn't care who delivered it. Just thought it strange.
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

I have very little good to say about UPS. We live a quarter mile off the road on a gravel lane. A couple of years ago the UPS driver left an expensive package on the ground under our mail box! We complained to UPS about this and received an apology from the person on the phone. A few months later a neighbor was cutting and mowing hay in our field near the road. The neighbor left one of his tractors parked off to the side about halfway up our lane for a couple days. I kept expecting a package from UPS that should have been here a couple days ago. I came home from work one day and saw a box sitting on the neighbor's tractor. Thinking it belonged to the neighbor I passed it by. The next day the package is still on the tractor, so I stopped to check it out. Sure enough the UPS driver left our package on the neighbor's tractor! What an idiot! :evil: So, another call to UPS.
Anyhoo, a few weeks ago I heard the doorbell ring. I went immediately to the door and the UPS driver was already heading back to his truck with our package under his arm. I yelled at him to get his attention before he drove off and signed for the package. I asked him why he did not leave the package. He said that he was a new driver and he was told that "there was a problem" delivering to our address! I politely informed him that the "problem" was with the previous driver. This past Friday we were out for supper but UPS left a package on our porch. Perhaps our problem was the previous driver, not UPS, but the bad taste is still with us.
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

I think most of the problems with UPS is local or something, I had a delivery notice on the door last night (signature required) and it said they would be back at 10:30 am today. Well I called the depot about picking up the package, they said that they would see if the driver could send it in with one of the other drivers so I could pick it up at 5:00 pm. I called at 5:15 and they told me the driver forgot to contact the other driver and he would not be in until 8:00 pm, the big brown truck showed up at my house at 8:45 pm and delivered my package. I have had UPS show up at the house at 10:00 pm to deliver packages, I don't think you will have USPS deliver packages at 10:00 pm.

WY2000
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I had a weird encounter with Midway CS when one of my packages disappeared.
They replaced it for me, but it was not a gracious conversation.

Otherwise, selection, price and service is generally great.
Abilene
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Abilene »

I have switched to Natchez, ordered $75 worth of parts from Midway and it cost me $101 COD. I'm done stick a fork in me.

Abilene
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've been trying to ignore this topic but it just keeps coming back.

Dogin' Midway over a UPS issue is silly to say the least.

I've been buying from Midway for a long darned time and the only
time there was a problem it was fixed instantly.

Any of you guys ever run a large corporation?
How about a small one?
Self employed even?

Well I've done two out of the three. It ain't easy!

Gives you a whole different
outlook on "How things should be".

It's darned tough to be sucessful in this world let alone this economy.
Might want to consider "El Photo Grande" before you start complaining.

Expect changes Boys. They are coming.

jason :evil:
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Amen. 90% of the problems people are talking about come down to one or two individuals and not the system, whatever system it is that they work for. Now, if the USPS/UPS/FEDEX won't pay insurance on a cut in half properly packed until it went through their machine(s) package, then that is a carrier problem. If Midway/Midsouth/Grafs/Natchez charges you $100 for a $10 item or fails to pack an item, then that is their problem but more than likely they can trace 90% of their problems back to a very few individuals. IF you complain, they will eventually get rid of those individuals.

There is always that one person who will complain about a 5 minute delivery of a million dollar check. I always think before opening my mouth, I don't want to be that person!
Sincerely,

Hobie

Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

2ndovc wrote:I've been trying to ignore this topic but it just keeps coming back.

Dogin' Midway over a UPS issue is silly to say the least.

I've been buying from Midway for a long darned time and the only
time there was a problem it was fixed instantly.

Might want to consider "El Photo Grande" before you start complaining.

jason :evil:
Well, I've tried to explain it twice now, and won't bother again. It was meant as a warning for people in a similar situation as I am...namely people who can't be home at time of delivery. It was to keep levergunners from getting their packages returned. I clearly stated that it wasn't a bash on Midway, but that their and ups's new contract could impact some people negatively. Apparently some people did not read the content of my message.

I won't bother informing people from here on out on anything else.

Ed
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I understand that Ed, unfortunately, it went from a "you gotta plan your orders to plan your deliveries 'cause you gotta be home to get your stuff" topic to a "lets bash the carriers" topic. There are real problems out there. Gotta know about them to avoid them.

Apparently, I've really teed you off. Not exactly certain how, but it was certainly unintended. You've been a great contributor here.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Dockem wrote:Hmmm. Don't know if this is routine now or not, but I ordered a scope from Midway, sent UPS. Once it made it to the UPS depot (3/4 mile from my house), it was then delivered to the local Post Office for delivery (???) . My regular postman delivered it, left it on the porch for me (good guy).
I thought this strange as UPS would routinely leave things on the porch before, in fact did so the previous day. Must be a new policy with Midway that UPS can't leave on the porch???

It didn't affect the delivery time any, so I really didn't care who delivered it. Just thought it strange.
That happened to me the last time I ordered from Midway. Not sure if it was done on the part of the company or the carrier. It wasn't a huge deal, but it would have been nice if someone had made the details of such a delivery arrangement a little more clear.

I don't have a box with the town in which I live, so if I hadn't been watching the tracking status like a hawk, I would not have known it was going to that post office.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

As I said, I've only had one strange occurrence with Midway, and it worked out well.

But as far as business practices go, sierratradingpost is the best in any business
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lp2/Co ... sophy.html

shame they don't sell shooting supplies, but when I'm looking for anything else, I always start with them.