What is he talking about? GB

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

What is he talking about? GB

Post by rangerider7 »

I'm not an informed Marlin man, maybe someone can help out.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =223553781
"That'll Be The Day"
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: What is he talking about? GB

Post by Terry Murbach »

THERE IS NO SUCH THING. THERE COULD WELL BE A MODEL 39 REBARRELED WITH A MODEL 38 BARREL. SUCH IS NOT UNCOMMON AT ALL AND IS EASY AS PIE TO DO.
MANY YEARS AGO W-W DUMPED A PILE OF MODEL 52 BARRELS IN THE MARKETPLACE AND THEY WERE FIT TO 22 GUNS OF ALL SIZES AND TYPES, INCLUDING MARLINS, RUGER SINGLE SIXES, COLTS, REMINGTONS ETC ETC ETC.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Terry's right, theres no such critter. I think the guy just missed the "9" key.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yea, he's looking for a "fish", something that sure seems common today. Just by looking at the gun you can see its a late variation model 39, all nicely d&t from the factory. It also has the ugly huge forearm. Personally, I would give $100......tops------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

It's a pre-microgrooved 39A. No buttplate spacer, top tang d&t'd, and top of the receiver only has the cartridge guide screw, so it's from the 1946-1950 period. Sling swivels aren't factory. I just think the guy missed the "9".
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I think he's been sniffing too much original formula Eds Red.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

GLAD TO SEE YOU POSTING AGAIN, TERRY...! 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Typical GB BS.

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Methinks if he "missed" the 9 key more than once, it's BS

" Marlin 38A .22 Lever Action I have not been able to find another 38A to compare this gun to;

I believe this is the transition gun from the Marlin 38 pump .22 to the Marlin 39 lever .22.

Tube fed take-down model. All works as it should, rear buckhorn sight with hooded front sight. No cracks or damage, blue is about 80%.

Please e-mail me if you have any information on what appears to be a rare model 38A. Gun has a very heavy feel. "

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I sent him a tactful note. We'll see if he's grounded or not.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Hobie, I thought you might be able to set this seller in the right direction. :)
"That'll Be The Day"
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

Ok I know nothing about Marlins, well not much anyway but this was posted in another thread on this board in 2007:

"Got a few good LAUGHS out of the comments above!!

Like Old Savage says, "you're insulting my guns!!" Mine too, geez you guys are awful hard on some of my Marlins!! LOL!

I really don't like the looks of the fat forearms, but I've got a 1948 vintage (first year) Marlin 336 and ugly or not it outshoots the 2 previous pre 64 Model 94 Winchesters I had HANDS DOWN! Maybe just too small of a sample?? The Winchesters feel really good in the hand (talking 94 carbines now) but when it comes to shooting the Marlin 336 with that FAT OLD forearm really holds steady and the action is so smooth. Now the rifle version of the 1894 Winnie is a different story.

Then I have a FAT FOREARM 1954 vintage Marlin 38A and it is the same, geez that rifle shoots!!!!
The shoddy manufacture of the good doc's new Marlin should definitely be fixed. I think even Col Brophy who wrote the Marlin book didn't like the FAT FOREARMS!! I don't mind them nearly as much now that I own a couple and have shot a few thousand rounds thru them.

My humble opinions!

Geoff"

Don't know if this person is still a member or not to ask...I also found outher references to it on Google...just postin
Terry