Old Winchester .25-35 advice needed

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shiloh505
Levergunner

Old Winchester .25-35 advice needed

Post by shiloh505 »

I'd like to get the forum members advice and comments on the .25-35 round. Will modern 25-35 function alright in an old Winchester 94 chambered in the 25-35 round? Also what do you think the value is. This Particular rifle was manufactured in 1903, is in good shape with original saddle ring still there. Thanks for your help.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Old Winchester .25-35 advice needed

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I dont see why not....as long as the action is tight....you should be fine...
25-35 round is very desireable round....and pretty darn rare too!
Take a look at gunbroker.com and you will be hard pressed to find a good one
for under a 1000 smackers......SRC or rifle....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

And the .25-35 is easy to load for, once you have the brass. FUN and effective cartridge.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Shiloh - welcome and since no one has offered - that round is totally useless and to save you the trouble might as well send it out here to me. I have already taken in one of those so that others won't have to ponder the issue. :) And, of course I am willing to step up and help again.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

shiloh505
Levergunner

Post by shiloh505 »

Rimfire, Hobie and Old Savage,

Thank you for your replies and information. The rifle is for sale for $800 at a local gun shop. I think I will go ahead and buy it if the action is tight and bore is good. Thanks again.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Like OS, I have taken in one already and have room for another. My old SRC 94 in 25-35 is the second center fire rifle I've ever owned. Bought it from the corner of a service station in northwest Arkansas for $22.50. Let's see, I was driving a '40 Ford so that would have been about '58?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wonderfully accurate and a very pleasant rifle to shoot. As Hobie said - very easy to reload for.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

All previous comments are accurate. $800 is a nice buy on that rifle if in good shape and not beat to heck. Now the down side...The 25-35 suffers from component availability. There is really only one bullet on the common market for it...the Hornady 117 grain pill. There are lighter bullets...the 86gr Remington, 75gr Speer, and 60gr Hornady...but they are not ideal for the cartridge. Hawk makes a dandy bullet, but it's way out of price range. Then there's cast...but most folks want jacketed. Brass can be another issue. Winchester used to have seasonal runs of brass...which could be once every two or three years. If it was sold out...you were stuck till they fired up and made more. I got sick of it years ago, and bought 2-3 thousand rounds of it once, just to eliminate that problem (I use it for another wildcat so needed plenty). There are ways around all of this if you feel the need to be creative...but they aren't conducive to large amounts of reloading. If you get stuck...there are plenty of folks here that shoot the cartridge who are willing to help (myself included). Enjoy the rifle.

Ed
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

.25-35 is pretty much a reloader's proposition if u plan to shoot alot . The old 94 SRC's are some of the coolest guns out there. Good luck and have fun!