New Ruger SR1911 pistol

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Combat Diver
Levergunner

New Ruger SR1911 pistol

Post by Combat Diver »

Ruger just annouced that they are the 44th manufactuer of old slab sides.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911/models.html

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/the-ruger- ... ideo/9290/

CD
Last edited by Combat Diver on Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
De Oppresso Liber
Iraq 91,03,04,05,06,08, 09, 15 & 16
Afghanistan 09,10, 11 & 14
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Re: New Ruger SR1911 pistol

Post by Otto »

"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Good this adds another American made 1911. When I buy one I want to support an American manufacturer.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

This will be my next 1911.

Now just need to sell my Ruger Blackhawk and talk the wife into letting me "borrow" the rest. :roll:
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Like it, hope it`s a success. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I'm surprised there's no key lock, no magazine disconnect, and no mechanical loaded chamber indicator. Pleasantly I might add.

From the exploded drawings I've seen it's pure John Browning inside, with only the external parts having been corrupted by the gamesters race guns.

This gun will be a screaming success and I'm gonna be glad for it. I'm seriously considering ditching my last two old S&Ws as trading fodder for one.

On the negative side there is actually only four parts I'd have to change:
Hammer
Grip safety
Mainspring housing
Trigger

Not bad really.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

J Miller wrote:... I'm seriously considering ditching my last two old S&Ws as trading fodder for one.
Which Smiths?

If the 25-5 is on that list, I may be interested if the price is in my range.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Disappointed that it is not a "true" Mil Spec M1911.

But thankful that it is made in the USofA and for a decent price.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nice!!!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

From Jeff at Gunblast:
The SR1911 is of the pre-Series 80 style, having no Swartz safety, nor any type of firing pin safety at all. Ruger uses a titanium firing pin with a heavy firing pin spring, so no firing pin safety is needed. The SR1911 has no internal key lock; at least this first variation of this new Ruger does not.
That is surprisingly nice! I was also wondering how they could cast the frame precise enough for consistent frame/slide fit until I saw that each cast frame is CNC machined afterwards. Good on Ruger for this one!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

This will be my next pistol!!

I'm VERY pleasantly surprised at Ruger's design choices.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I love it but need one in mil. spec. for CAS "Wild Bunch". I hope they bring one out to follow this one soon.
This pistol should be a top seller. Also Ruger will stand behind them well I am sure. :wink:
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I want one!! A 1911 is on my short list of guns to buy. Now I have to decide whether or not I want to put off getting a Springfield XDM or some other ugly black gun and get the Ruger first. I need a concealed carry piece, and I've decided I don't want a full size 1911 for full time duty for that purpose.

All of the handguns I currently own are Rugers, though a couple have some custom work done to them. I could get a Ruger SR40 for my concealed carry, but I do like the way the Springfields handle and shoot. This SR1911 sure is tempting. Decisions, decisions....
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
dandee
Levergunner

Post by dandee »

Sorry to my CA brothers but the best part it is not CA approved.
That darn Ruger cost me another $700 bucks.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Ouch! Don't get too comfortable with that position as I'm fairly sure it will be CA approved very soon. We are still a major gun buying state and most major gun manufacturers (like S&W) choose to certify their guns for sale here. The "difficulties" of what is necessary to sell guns here is greatly exaggerated. It only takes another 30 minutes one time.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The Calif. issues are exaggerated such as "sorry no sales to Calif." Well why not just roll over and let the libs win because they managed to throw up some obstacles? What??? I don't think so.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

dandee
Levergunner

Post by dandee »

I just keep hoping you guys will have enough and move up by me. I would take any of you in a heart beat and am just so sick off the way CA treats its subjects.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Great to hear. Hope they expand to blued (blackened) ones,...like the DW Valor, Guardian, etc, and like they thankfully have in their SR lineup...and a Commander variant soon. No front serrations - hooray! Good on ya' Ruger!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ray Newman wrote:Disappointed that it is not a "true" Mil Spec M1911.

But thankful that it is made in the USofA and for a decent price.
Me too, but with replacing the four parts I mentioned it will be good to go. And since I don't shoot CAS, those sights are good to see.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I am in the same boat as Joe, those sights will help me.
So put another one on the list.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Well, it sure is nice looking. The combo of stainless and the small blued parts is tastefully done, at least to my eye. I will have to think on it a bit, but am seriously thinking of having my dealer order one. And the reviews seem fine so far, the price is in the ballpark(assuming I can buy it for 7 bills-should be possible) and it's 100% American made which pleases me. God Bless. :D
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Well, it sure is nice looking. The combo of stainless and the small blued parts is tastefully done, at least to my eye. I will have to think on it a bit, but am seriously thinking of having my dealer order one. And the reviews seem fine so far, the price is in the ballpark(assuming I can buy it for 7 bills-should be possible) and it's 100% American made which pleases me. God Bless. :D
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Howdy,

I can appreciate the appeal of mil spec 11's but with my large hands, I do like having a beaver tail on mine to eliminate the hammer from nibbling on my hand. I shoot mine quite a bit and got tired of placing a bandaid in the web of my hand to save skin. Have the same problem with my high power.

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I like the way that it looks, especially the lack of front slide serrations. I don't like the contrasting small parts; grip safety, mainspring housing, slide release, and thumb safety. I would prefer all stainless or all blue.

I really like Ruger handguns, I am probably one of the few that really likes my original P85 (not a MkII), plus I have two Super Blackhawks, two Blackhawks, a Single Six Convertable, plus a Standard Automatic and a Mk II Target Bull.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Bronco wrote:Howdy,

I can appreciate the appeal of mil spec 11's but with my large hands, I do like having a beaver tail on mine to eliminate the hammer from nibbling on my hand. I shoot mine quite a bit and got tired of placing a bandaid in the web of my hand to save skin. Have the same problem with my high power.

John
I don't see how you guys get hammer bite. I am 6', 200+ pounds, have fairly large hands, own and shoot three 1911s with GI type grip safeties and spur hammers, plus shot real GI issue pistols in the Army (1973-76 Military Policeman-95B) and NEVER experienced hammer bite, My High Power also has a spur hammer and has never "bitten" me either. How in the heck do you get the web of your thumb that high?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

damienph wrote:
Bronco wrote:Howdy,

John
I don't see how you guys get hammer bite. I am 6', 200+ pounds, have fairly large hands, own and shoot three 1911s with GI type grip safeties and spur hammers, plus shot real GI issue pistols in the Army (1973-76 Military Policeman-95B) and NEVER experienced hammer bite, My High Power also has a spur hammer and has never "bitten" me either. How in the heck do you get the web of your thumb that high?
Improper griping of the pistol.

I've been bitten only by original 1911s. They were known for that. That's why they made the 1911a1.

Grip them properly and you don't get bit.

Joe
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

A great, and somewhat expected, offering from Ruger. I do like the fact that it is a "Series 70."

I just wish they had brought out a Commander size at the same time. Hopefully, that is in the works.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Old Savage wrote:The Calif. issues are exaggerated such as "sorry no sales to Calif." Well why not just roll over and let the libs win because they managed to throw up some obstacles? What??? I don't think so.
Hey I hear ya doc, I just wish y'all would take the dang state back from the loonies! Really chaps my hide to see such a fine state so damaged by the liberal loons. :evil:

(Sorry, off topic.)

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

J Miller wrote:I've been bitten only by original 1911s. They were known for that. That's why they made the 1911a1.

Joe
My 1911 configuration Norwegian is vicious. I may put a 1911A1 grip safety on it and if I do I don't expect to get bitten at all.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

olyinaz wrote:
J Miller wrote:I've been bitten only by original 1911s. They were known for that. That's why they made the 1911a1.

Joe
My 1911 configuration Norwegian is vicious. I may put a 1911A1 grip safety on it and if I do I don't expect to get bitten at all.

Oly
My first 1911 was a very well used armory rebuild that worked great. But it was a vampire. Every time I'd shoot it, I'd bleed. So after a bit of research I ground the hammer spur back to the 1911a1 length, installed a 1911a1 grip safety and an arched main spring housing. Ahhh, relief. No more bleeding.

Joe
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Howdy,

Grip my pistol to get the most control! Every body is different. Don't understand being told of improper grip when I can control the pistol well in rapid fire mode, which for me is to grip as high as I can. Have large hands for my 6'2" frame and a lot of meat in the web portion.. Just explaining why I like a beaver tail on mine. Not implying that every body should have one.
Again every body is different!! :D

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bronco wrote:Every body is different. Don't understand being told of improper grip when I can control the pistol well in rapid fire mode, which for me is to grip as high as I can. Have large hands for my 6'2" frame and a lot of meat in the web portion.. Just explaining why I like a beaver tail on mine. Not implying that every body should have one.
Again every body is different!! :D
Yep. I used to wonder the same thing (how anyone could actually get 'hammer bite'), and I'd try to pick up the gun and hold it with the web of my thumb over the 'beavertail' (or lack thereof), and it just seemed impossible to do, even on purpose.

THEN I saw a guy with 'beefy' hands hold one, and sure enough, the 'web' of his thumb was below the beavertail area (on a non-beavertail gun), but the 'meat' on the side away from his palm STILL was sort of 'flowing' up and behind the beavertail area. No improper grip that I could see - just 'beefy' hands. He'd probably shot and worn out more 1911's in his life than I'll ever shoot, and said he had to watch out for 'hammer bite' and preferred the beavertail frames.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

My Internet connection is very slow today so I could not link to the Ruger web page

Does anyone know when this model will be available?....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Ray Newman wrote:My Internet connection is very slow today so I could not link to the Ruger web page

Does anyone know when this model will be available?....
Gunblast says in production now, you should see soon.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Oly: thnaks for the information.

Need to call my local dealer to see/if when he will receive one. Even though it is growing on me due to the price and "Made-in-the USofA" I would like to heft one before I really get too excited about it.

What would be the cat's meow if Ruger would offer an after-market .22 conversion kit! Or, for that matter, a.22 LR SR1911 a la the old Colt Ace!
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Ray Newman wrote:What would be the cat's meow if Ruger would offer an after-market .22 conversion kit!
You can always use the Kimber kit.
Combat Diver
Levergunner

Post by Combat Diver »

May 2011 is what Ruger has for a release date (just a few short weeks away).

CD
De Oppresso Liber
Iraq 91,03,04,05,06,08, 09, 15 & 16
Afghanistan 09,10, 11 & 14