OT Blackened stainless steel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

OT Blackened stainless steel

Post by Otto »

How is this done, how durable is it, how long does it last, what does the steel look like once the finish wears off, et cetera.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT Blackened stainless steel

Post by big bear »

I have a remington custom shop rifle(AWR) with blackened stainless steel. hunted hard for 15years.Finish wears well. Only finish loss is where trigger lock rubbed finish off, along story, not fault of rifle or lock. Where it's worn off finish is a dull silver color. Haven't got the foggiest how they did it. If were offered in all stainless firearms, it would be my finish of choice.
Last edited by big bear on Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

big bear wrote:I have a remington custom shop rifle(AWR) with blackened stainless steel. hunted hard for 15years.Finnish wears well. Only finish loss is where trigger lock rubbed finish off, along story, not fault of rifle or lock. Where it's worn off finish is a dull silver color. Haven't got the foggiest how they did it. If were offered in all stainless firearms, it would be my finish of choice.
Sort of a brushed or blasted appearance?
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

My Dad's 445 SuperMag has a titanium coating over the stainless steel. It was built in the early '90's and has held up well.

My nephew's boy with it:
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Otto wrote:
big bear wrote:I have a remington custom shop rifle(AWR) with blackened stainless steel. hunted hard for 15years.Finnish wears well. Only finish loss is where trigger lock rubbed finish off, along story, not fault of rifle or lock. Where it's worn off finish is a dull silver color. Haven't got the foggiest how they did it. If were offered in all stainless firearms, it would be my finish of choice.
Sort of a brushed or blasted appearance?
Brushed, smooth surface, not like the textured surface of a parkerized piece.I'm pretty sure Remington still makes Alaska Wilderness Rifles, check their ustom shop offerings.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

The stainless steel blackening methods I am aware of are all some form of black oxide. Most can be acheived at room temperature using an acidic solution. This is similar to Parkerizing of carbon steel.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

DO NOT FORGET THAT WINCHESTER HAS BEEN PUTTING STAINLESS STEEL WITH BLUING/BLACKENING ON SOME [ MOST ??...] OF THEIR RIFLES FOR WELL OVER 80 YEARS. THE PROCESS IS NOT NEW NOR IS IT SOME BIG KIND OF MYSTERY. IT WEARS NO BETTER NOR ANY WORSE THAN A NON SS BLUED BARREL AND LOOKS THE SAME WELL WARN.
AND SO IT GOES...
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Mcmaster carr lists a type of blackening kit for SS, cant remember the name at the moment. but a look at there website might get there.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Sorry it wasnt Mcmaster it was Caswell http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/black.htm