Winchester 1886 45-70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TomD
Levergunner 3.0

Winchester 1886 45-70

Post by TomD »

What is the feeling about this new offering? Unlike the 94, there are not a lot of these around in good condition second hand, cheap. They have all of a sudden shown up in the local stores. I realize they have a safety, I have heard that has messed up the trigger group. Any feeling as to whether this rifle is worth considering?

I need a 45-70, and was planing on a Marlin, but they also seem to be under a shadow at the moment. What is the best way to go?
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Wincehster 1886 45-70

Post by RIHMFIRE »

The used 1886 Winchesters you are seeing now.....that are cheap.... are most likely
Japchesters......They are fine rifles and are pretty darn accurate from what I have
heard....Original 1886s in 45-70 or any other caliber aint cheap....33wcf seem to be
the most affordable....You need to talk to mikeD..our resident 86 expert.

you cant go wrong with a marlin either...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 1886 45-70

Post by 86er »

My 1886 was made by Miroku. I removed the rebounding hammer feature but left the tang safety. It has a crisp trigger and is very accurate. It wears a KickEeze recoil pad. Heavy 405's at 2005 fps, heavier 430's at 1950 fps all group into 1 1/2 inches for 3 shots at 100 yds off the bags. Over two dozen species have been knocked down with it including elephant, buffalo, leopard and hippo. If you don't mind "customizing" it to your needs it is very versatile. Mine also has a scout scope mount and sometimes wears a Leupold scope. Otherwise, it has an XS rear sight mounted over the bolt and an XS white stripe up front. If you are of the mindset that it must remain "original" you may not get what you want out of it. It just depends on your intentions.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

There are NEW Miroku 1886 ELs and 24" barreled Short Rifles showing up at this time. They have all of the lawyer induced falderal and need some parts replaced to be reliable. Off the rack they will sometimes fail to fire and that ain't good. Other than that they are VERY WELL made brutes and can handle anything that they are fed, including "Ruger No 1 and No 3 and the Browning 78 only" loads with ease. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
gunner69
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gunner69 »

With my old eyes the iron sights are useless. I put one of Doug Turnbulls mounts on the rifle and added the Fastfire II Red Dot on it. Very accurate and took a buck with it this last season. I have gotten used to the tang safety, and the trigger on mine is excellent...... no misfires to date (crossed fingers). :mrgreen:
Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul Jenkins »

I have a Browning Miroku without the tang safety. A friend & I shot 3 3/4" groups at 100yds consecutively last yr with Marbles tang and original front. It has original box. Will sell for $1330.
with the tang sight. 26" brl. AS New In Box. Pics on request. Trigger has been professionally worked to 2 1/2# pauljenkins@verizon.net
Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul Jenkins »

Paul Jenkins wrote:I have a Browning Miroku without the tang safety. A friend & I shot 3 3/4" groups at 100yds consecutively last yr with Marbles tang and original front. It has original box. Will sell for $1330.
with the tang sight. 26" brl. AS New In Box. Pics on request. Trigger has been professionally worked to 2 1/2# pauljenkins@verizon.net
Let me put this offer in my perspective. If you could order one new, it would cost over $1500 without the $125 tang sight, You can't get one as good as this today. I am willing to sell a prooven accurate & reliable rifle in As new cond. I'll give return privileges.
JBledsoe
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JBledsoe »

I like the Marlin 1895SS. A good used one is reasonably priced and accurate. I don't see well anymore so the scope is needed.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

For a hunting gun you can't beat the Browning Miroku 1886s. I have an SRC and they SHOOT.
My Browning 1886 Saddle Ring Carbine (SRC) together with the first target I shot using the newly mounted Williams Foolproof Receiver Sight (FP-71). You can disregard the bullet holes from outside the c-more target as those were from earlier experiments. Just note the tight 5-round group at the center. That's what this gun did at 100 yards with this sight.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JBledsoe
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JBledsoe »

That's a good looking rifle, Hobie, and some impressive shooting.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

IMO, the Browning version is the way to go. 1886
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

1886 wrote:IMO, the Browning version is the way to go. 1886
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul Jenkins »

Paul Jenkins wrote:
Paul Jenkins wrote:I have a Browning Miroku without the tang safety. A friend & I shot 3 3/4" groups at 100yds consecutively last yr with Marbles tang and original front. It has original box. Will sell for $1330.
Let me put this offer in my perspective. If you could order one new, it would cost over $1500 without the $125 tang sight, You can't get one as good as this today. I am willing to sell a prooven accurate & reliable rifle in As new cond. I'll give return privileges.
Sold to a man in california for $1350 + $50 shipping. Nate Kiowa Jones negotiated the purchase.
Nate is doing a colour case on the receiver. I kringe at the thought of redoing an as new in box browning '86. but everyone to there own tastes. It is already better than Winchester ever made!
I only post this because someone on this board was interested and paid more at Cabelas. Sold through GB. I made a slight profit. Just to let you all know what to exspect in the future. Not meant as a flame. maybe some education. I'm happy.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Mike D. wrote:There are NEW Miroku 1886 ELs and 24" barreled Short Rifles showing up at this time. They have all of the lawyer induced falderal and need some parts replaced to be reliable. Off the rack they will sometimes fail to fire and that ain't good. Other than that they are VERY WELL made brutes and can handle anything that they are fed, including "Ruger No 1 and No 3 and the Browning 78 only" loads with ease. :)
+1....I have an 1892 45 Colt Trapper and she is very accurate. Had the rebounding hammer taken care of by a local gunsmith. I shoot "Sage Rats" with her out to 100 yards when I get tired of shooting my .22 Hornet and .223 CZ.
Semper Fi
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Hobie wrote:For a hunting gun you can't beat the Browning Miroku 1886s. I have an SRC and they SHOOT.
My Browning 1886 Saddle Ring Carbine (SRC) together with the first target I shot using the newly mounted Williams Foolproof Receiver Sight (FP-71). You can disregard the bullet holes from outside the c-more target as those were from earlier experiments. Just note the tight 5-round group at the center. That's what this gun did at 100 yards with this sight.
Got 1 of those. Way 8) 8) 8) !