Straight Grip or Pistol Grip?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Straight Grip or Pistol Grip?

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Anthony Imperato of Henry Repeating Arms has informed me that they will indeed be coming out with a 45/70 chambered rifle based on their steel frame 30/30 action (spring of 2012). I LOVE the halfcock safety (no buttons on tang, frame, or bolt to muck up the lines), and I can live with loading via magazine tube (ala 1866 Winchester & .22 rimfire rifles), and I like the XS ghost ring rear sight from the factory. The only thing casting doubts is that Mr. Imperato informed me that the 45/70 would come with a pistol grip stock. To me this goes against tradition and takes away from the smooth lines. Now I do own a Marlin model 36 30/30 with pistol grip stock, and have gotten used to that guns lines but not sure about the new Henry.
What are YOUR opinions, and tastes on this matter, pistol grip or straight grip? Not only style but also functionality, does the pistol grip help reduce felt recoil to YOU? I current own one 45/70 my Enfield SMLE "Smelly Nelly", and fired besides this one my dad's trapdoor Springfields, and an uncle's original 1886 Winchester these being shot years apart so no comparison doable. I'm thinking if enough interest shows towards a straight grip 45/70 Mr. Imperato would be more than happy to oblige us traditionalists. Easy enough for him using existing 30/30 frames.

I'd want my 45/70 to look just like this. :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Straight Grip or Pistol Grip?

Post by Old Savage »

I prefer the pistol grip for the Marlin 45-70 but that may well be that it suits my physique better. The Model 71 Winchester and Model 64 have been considered by many to be the most handsome of levers. But, go with what feels best to you because it will probably work best too.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I prefer the pistol grip, mostly for looks but also a little more to hang on to.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

All i can add is what i just experienced with my new Marlin cowboy that has a straight stock. My guide gun and 336 - 35 rem are pistol grip. No issues with either of the pistol grips but if i don`t hold the wrist real tight on the cowboy the front of the lever will bite my middle finger pretty bad and sometimes enough to force the lever down out of its latched position.
I have big hands so maybe it wouldn`t be a issue for you. :)
Adding that if i could only have one of the three it would be the cowboy for looks alone. :)
Last edited by Pitchy on Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I prefer a straight grip and I am used to it from my 1886, but if the gun is well balanced and quality I can shoot either and wouldn't pass up one based on grip style alone.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I personally like the looks of the straight grip better. However my only experiences with pistol gripped lever guns is from a Marlin 336. That stock comb beat my face to bruises. I simply could not shoot that rifle any way I held it. Due to that one Marlin I've come to dislike pistol gripped stocks.
Having said that, if it was comfortable to shoot and did not hurt me I could live with either.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

I have never been comfortable with straight grips (rifle or shotgun) as it seems my wrist is
turned at an unnatural angle. This is the big reason I have never been a big fan of the
Win 94 though I've owned several in various caliburs over the years. My Shiloh Sharps
has (had, I sold it) the pistol grip as the Montana Roughrider model. I am more or less
a Marlin guy now.
I still have the (pistol grip) Bullard too.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Given the choice I'd take a pistol grip.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

El Chivo wrote:I prefer the pistol grip, mostly for looks but also a little more to hang on to.
Same here. I'll settle for either if the gun is well-made and in a chambering I like, though...

Of course, with the anti-crime emphasis these days, it is worth noting, that the straight-grips are better designed for 'indescriminate firing from the hip', unlike the nearly-vertical 'pistol' grips on AR-15's, which were cited by idiot lawmakers as being designed for that purpose :roll: .
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

1/2 Mag w/Squared Lever?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I used to favor straight-grip, but I've since found the pistol-grip is more comfortable for my body. jd45
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

In the early years a pistol grip was always a deluxe special order feature, and I love the look of them. They feel better to me, as it doesn't require me to cant my wrist to an unnatural position, like a straight grip does.
Can you imagine shooting a pistol with the grip sticking straight out the rear? Just not a natural angle for a human's hand.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I prefer a straight grip but I don't allow a pistol grip to be a deciding factor against a firarm. My 30-30 has a pistol grip as do three shotguns. my 22 levers are straight.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I like pistol grip myself.....especially when carying in the field.....

I guess it comes from years of shooting shotguns with a pistol grip....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I've been shooting straight-stock lever actions, pretty much exclusively, for 40 years. Nothing else looks or feels right to me.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

J Miller wrote:I personally like the looks of the straight grip better. However my only experiences with pistol gripped lever guns is from a Marlin 336. That stock comb beat my face to bruises. I simply could not shoot that rifle any way I held it. Due to that one Marlin I've come to dislike pistol gripped stocks. Having said that, if it was comfortable to shoot and did not hurt me I could live with either. Joe
My Glenfield 30 (correct me if I'm wrong, but the same thing as a Marlin 336) beats me up too, but I don't think it has to do with the grip.

I hefted a Mossberg 464 in Marinecoat with a pistol grip stock today and it was pretty doggone nice. $379 brand new - which isn't too shabby.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I love 'em BOTH!!

- Glenfield 30GT (new in 1979)
- Winchester 94 Legacy (new in 1995)

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hi Ji!

I love straight-gripped lever-actions. I know a pistol-gripped one is probably more functional, but to me, I just like the traditional look!
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I like them both. These are just my 24" barrels. My 20" and under levers all have straight grip, though.

...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

The pistol grip actually makes more sense on a rifle you plan to put a tang sight on because it rotates your grip so that your thumb is back farther making for a more comfortable grip than on a straight stock.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

My Marlins (4) all have pistol grip, except my 444P. My Winchesters (3) are all straight grip. My Mossberg 472 is pistol grip. I prefer the look of the straight grip but I don't notice any advantage/disadvantage of one over the other when carrying or shooting.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Again, what's up the edit feature?
Last edited by Griff on Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Griff wrote:I like 'em both.

+1...
Semper Fi
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Personal pref is the straight grip. Sorry to say I have never shot a lever that was not a straight grip. They have never let me down. They just fit me perfectly.
Everything just seems to happen in a fast sequence with sights aligned, I am average height at 6ft and 13/14 inch pull is sweet.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Oops... double tap!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!