Beautiful guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Beautiful guns

Post by getitdone1 »

I have a few guns I consider beautiful. That right there makes me a "gun nut" though I really don't care for that expression. A lot of people would have a hard time understanding how a gun could be beautiful. Let's say, it's an acquired taste. Let me add, other people's critical opinions don't mean much to me.

Another thing that really adds to a guns beauty is how well it functions and performs. Not beauty, per se, but definitely part of the "beauty package."

What guns do you consider the best looking--or even beautiful?

Mine are:

Winchester model 1892 rifle, 45 Colt, crescent buttplate, rebound hammer and tang safety. Don't care for the hammer or safety but the "lines"--wow! I think I like the looks of this one best of all.

Winchester model pre-64 model 70, standard, 270 Winchester. To my eyes it just has "that look" that a bolt-action oughta have. Loads slick as grease, chambers slick as grease and built like a tank. A little heavy but what a well-made gun!

Browning 1886 SRC, 45-70. Dang this thing kicks with hot loads but boy you have the power with this one if you want to load it that way. Great lines and that might have something to do with all the cowboy movies I've seen in the past. No gun says "cowboy/old west" better than this one. (Well...there is a model called the 1873--ha!)

I have others close in beauty to the above but these are my favorites in terms of looks. Couple of others come close.

You can get a lot of pleasure out of your guns if you have them displayed on a rack. I keep my favorites--usually--on a rack where I can see them often. Just makes the day go better. (What can I say? ha!) Safes are great but it's nice to be able to see your favorite guns.

I need to back this up with some pictures. Maybe I'll try to do that.

Don
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Beautiful guns

Post by Sixgun »

Don,
Yes, beautiful in a rifle, sixgun, car, etc. all have one thing in common-----clean lines that are pleasing to the eye. American designs have always had these "clean lines" while the British & Russian guns have got to win some kind of an award for the ugliest objects in the universe. :D (they do work though :wink: )

A '68 Camaro, 1911 Colt, Colt SA, a long barreled 1894, an Arabian horse, Raquel Welch, .........................................................and of course, me--Sixgun :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Of all the guns I've owned over the years, the one that pleases me the most and that I consider the most enjoyable to admire, is my original Winchester 1886 45-70 with full octagon barrel and an excellent bore and still some case color on the receiver. It is completely honest and original and was shipped in 1890. Here's a photo of my favourite rifle ....

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

KirkD,

Outstanding photo of a great gun. Easy to see why you like it so much.

Don
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Lets see - lines, style

Oh, that's right - guns - sorry.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Ha, some great pictures!

My faves - some of the posts too the words right out of my mouth....long 92s and 94s, the 86 SRC, Pre 64 Win 70, any SAA, etc. I'll add Win 70 Featherweight Classic (with the Schnabel forend)--.270 of course :) but also short action (7mm-08), plus 1892 and Pre War 1894 carbines.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Great posts and pics all.......
Kirk's tastes - not to mention photography/artistic skills- are just superb!!!
cable
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

OS,
You 'da man! You never fail to amaze me with your photography :D

How 'bout this one boys: Don't laugh--I got $100 for it at the gun buy back program :wink: I actually taped a Mossberg barrel on an antique action. :D Ha! The retarts took it. (I like to use a "T" instead of a "D" on retart. Sounds funnier---is that a word? :D

Or a ship line throwing cannon from the 1880's (nice long "clean lines"

or my buddy's Ma Deuce
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Old Savage, I'm not sure but I think you are slipping, the firearm in the white dress looks like she has a bony left knee-just saying. :o :shock: :? :lol:
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Like anything "it's all relative" !

To me beautifull guns are typically nice old Parkers !
Fine english sidelock doubles !
Ruger #1's in variouse configurations !
Pre 64 Model 70 Supergrades !
And Mannlicher Schoenauer rifles of pre 1965 manufacture !

As you noticed there are NO leveractions in my picks . While I like my semi old Marlin's quite a bit I don't personally feel that a lever gun holds a candle to the ones I mentioned as far as pleasure to the eye is concerned !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

6pt-sika wrote:Like anything "it's all relative" !

To me beautifull guns are typically nice old Parkers !
Fine english sidelock doubles !
Ruger #1's in variouse configurations !
Pre 64 Model 70 Supergrades !
And Mannlicher Schoenauer rifles of pre 1965 manufacture !

As you noticed there are NO leveractions in my picks . While I like my semi old Marlin's quite a bit I don't personally feel that a lever gun holds a candle to the ones I mentioned as far as pleasure to the eye is concerned !
he is just trying to hurt your leverguns feelings ;)

is this poor little skinny 22 marlin levergun pretty?

just funning......i like all the ones you mentioned too, and have to say that a fine side by side double shotgun, is
one of the most elegant and beautiful of arms
cable
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

In leverguns, I can't argue with a nice 1886. For me, my tastes run to fine doubles of the shotgun and double rifle variety. I prefer side by sides. and I like revolvers instead of semi's.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Most of the pre war guns where pleasing to the eye, not so much these days. For the newer stuff I find Kimber,USFA,Cooper,AYA,Grulla, and hand made muzzle loaders appealing and nicely made by people who still care.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Here are a few of mine.

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

this is one of the 'prettiest' little guns i have, a restored [ before i got it ] 44/40 saddle ring carbine colt lightning:

cable
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

What would Robert Palmer say???

Last edited by Old Savage on Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Rodeo - no doubt but, her eyes are cute.

C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

My list:

Remington Model 1900 Double Barrel Shotgun, though there are so many beautiful hammer and hammerless guns of this era
Sharps 1874 Buffler rifle, or the earler Percussion Sharps Rifle
Spencer Carbine or Rifle version
Colt Dragoon
Ruger Super Blackhawk
Winchester 1894 with full octagon barrel
Early or Late Lancaster school Pennsylvania or Kentucky Rifle
Early Virginia Rifle of Same Era...slightly before Revolution
East Tenn. Rifles ca. 1800+
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

C.Cash mentioned 'East Tenn. Rifles ca. 1800+
and i agree.....those are some of the finest lines ever on a long gun......like this one by contemporary maker roger sells [ a real gentleman as well ] :

some day i am going to have him make one of these ultimate squirrel guns for me! just elegant!
cable
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Oh man....very nice Cable. Yes, they are nice enough to take your mind off of OS's wemmingfolk, almost! :wink: Last time I tried to beg Ken Guy to make me an East TN "Bean" rifle his wait time was 4 years! Ian Pratt is a noted maker also but there are alot of incredible builders out there:
http://www.tennesseehogrifle.com/
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

C. Cash wrote:Oh man....very nice Cable. Yes, they are nice enough to take your mind off of OS's wemmingfolk, almost! :wink: Last time I tried to beg Ken Guy to make me an East TN "Bean" rifle his wait time was 4 years! Ian Pratt is a noted maker also but there are alot of incredible builders out there:
http://www.tennesseehogrifle.com/
yes, every one of those guys makes wonderful rifles....true to the forms and spirits of the originals. i grew up in
WNC right exactly where the gillespie rifles were made, which are very similar of course. well someday i will get one!
cable
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

I agree that there is something about appearance that makes some much more interesting than others. I don't think we are genetically ingrained to this, I think our appreciation comes from our experiences, and yes I think function affects our experiences too. There are limits to the beauty derived from function, lest we start thinking that Glocks are beautiful.

Some that I have found very interesting-

Colt New Frontier
Colt Gold Cup
S&W 4" M19/M66 and S&W 6" M29/M629
US Army M14
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

KirkD wrote:Of all the guns I've owned over the years, the one that pleases me the most and that I consider the most enjoyable to admire, is my original Winchester 1886 45-70 with full octagon barrel and an excellent bore and still some case color on the receiver. It is completely honest and original and was shipped in 1890. Here's a photo of my favourite rifle ....

I'm with ya on that, Kirk. To my eyes, the 1886, in the form of yours, is the absolute pinnacle of grace, balance and general fineness of any firearm ever produced.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

The most beautiful to my eye are the '86's, 71's and 64's.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My son's CZ .22 Hornet was the nicest little rifle "I" once had! :(

Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

All guns, like women, have at least one good feature. If you doubt that statement close yourself in your gun room, have a couple of brewskies and watch a 2 evolve into a 10.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Here's a few I like,

Last edited by Malamute on Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

One of my favorites. 1906 vintage 1886 ELTD in .45-90 W.C.F. with special order features. :D ImageImage
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Like that one with that butt plate.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Malamute - great guns and what a great looking place you have.

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Old Savage wrote:Malamute - great guns and what a great looking place you have.
you can say that again for me! he has a great place, great guns, great photos!!
thanks!
cable
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Sure are some beautiful rifles posted. Here's my Favorite. One's a 1937 Model 71 Short Rifle (2 pics). The other non-rifle related is my favorite motorcycle (2 pics) Almost as good lookin as those pics of women posted, but not quite :) . I'll only post two items, for it would take me too long to list and post all of favorites. Mighty fine rifles fellas.

Semper Fi
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

back in the 70s i really wanted a Norton Commando, i think it was, .......congrats! beautiful machine and a wonderful rifle too!
cable
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

hfcable wrote:back in the 70s i really wanted a Norton Commando, i think it was, .......congrats! beautiful machine and a wonderful rifle too!
That was my "Dream Machine" in high school too, but that didn't happen until I was 40 years old. Mine is a 1975 850 Commando with 6,000 original miles. I also have a Harley and 1970 650 BSA A65T. I had a 1973 750 Triumph, but gave that to my son-in-law.

cable,
Dreams do come true and it's never too late to get one. :wink: If you get serious about getting one, just let me know. I restore classic British Motorcycles for a hobby and would be glad to give you advice and help in doing so. I've owned 26 Motorcycles in my life, so I'm addicted to Guns and Motorcycles. :)
Glad you liked it and thanks for the compliment.
Semper Fi
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Back in the 60s I found a norton that either was stolen or else wrecked and the guy hid it off the freeway to collect the insurance. I found where he had hit a road marker and hid the bike. Another time I found a old triumph laying in a old mine. I didnt do anything with either one.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

+KirkD I have one almost it's twin. :)
Any Colt SAA from 1900-1910 4 3/4 (anyway whenever they had the rounded trigger guard.)

"That'll Be The Day"
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

As a "caretaker of history" I have owned many beautiful firearms that were eventually passed on, for someone else to enjoy.

This Deluxe 1894 (32WS) was one of them.

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

rangerider7 wrote:+KirkD I have one almost it's twin. :)
Any Colt SAA from 1900-1910 4 3/4 (anyway whenever they had the rounded trigger guard.)

About 25 years ago i had a first gen. that looked just like that, sold it for 500 bucks. :roll:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

This 40-82 is my favorite rifle.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Not necessarily in this order, except the 1st one:

God's greatest creation. (Woman, for you neanderthals)
a J & S Hawken
Remington's 870 and 700
Colt's 1851, SAA (4-¾) and 1911
Winchester's 1894, in carbine or rifle, with or without pistolgrip, 1886 rifles, 1873 rifles
Henry's 1860 repeater
Any side by side double barrel shotgun.
Chevy's 1955 210 sedan, '55-½ p/u, 1982-1991 Camaros, & 2004-2005 duallys and the very strong showing by the Shamu Caprices, (especially the 1996/7 SS models).
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Mike D. wrote:One of my favorites. 1906 vintage 1886 ELTD in .45-90 W.C.F. with special order features. :D Image
Was one of the special order features the full mag on the extra-light? Is that wearing a Lyman No.4 up front too?
Jarhead wrote:Sure are some beautiful rifles posted. Here's my Favorite. One's a 1937 Model 71 Short Rifle (2 pics).

Is that a long tang, bolt-peep, short rifle ... 71? That's a fine score there. Looks to be in excellent shape as well.

I only have one nice rifle, and you've all seen it before I'm sure.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:
Mike D. wrote:One of my favorites. 1906 vintage 1886 ELTD in .45-90 W.C.F. with special order features. :D Image
Was one of the special order features the full mag on the extra-light? Is that wearing a Lyman No.4 up front too?
Jarhead wrote:Sure are some beautiful rifles posted. Here's my Favorite. One's a 1937 Model 71 Short Rifle (2 pics).

Is that a long tang, bolt-peep, short rifle ... 71? That's a fine score there. Looks to be in excellent shape as well.

Special order features included the caliber, full magazine, Lyman 21 rear and W.F.Sheard HV front. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I go with those! :D

Might need one of these for some of the ammo.

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

:D
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:

Yes, it is and it's 98%...I got lucky and bought this off an Elderly Marine. Because I too am a Marine, he sold it to me for 2K and that was 11 years ago. He didn't have a son and his wife wanted to remodel her kitchen. I promised him I'd take good care of her and I have. I haven't hunted with it yet and not sure I will. I always grab my Dad's 1956 Vintage pre-64 Model 70 30-06. The one he taught me to shoot when I was in grade school. When I lived in Alaska, I used a pre-64 Model 70 .338 Win mag. and took a Grizzly with it. I might just take this long tang on an Elk hunt someday, just so I can say I killed something with it.
Semper Fi
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

my double rifle in 9.3x74R. a Swarovski 1.75x4 PH scope mounts to let me reach out a bit.

and the Rizzini 550 sxs in 20 gauge.

these two will see a lot of field time this year.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Really no losers here - some just more winners than others.

I can't resist nominating the Winchester 95 in 30-06 my wife gave me for our 25th anniversary five years ago - Miroku made some 8000 of them under license in 1995 as century commemoratives types - more or less - about half in Grade 1 and the other half in Hi Grade - as this one is -

It shoots as good as it looks, too. I zeroed sights to hit POA (Point Of Aim) at 25 yards and "fine tuned" to hit 2" above POA at 100 yards - see coupled shots. I make no claim to be an expert shot but have been shooting rifles some 80 years. This wasn't "bench rest" but just fist rest on range table - the isolated single shots were elbow rest from same table.

The only thing about it is that it takes longer to go through a box of ammo than my other rifles - seems like most other shooters want to see and hold it - :roll:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER