OT: Aussie Guys

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Aussie Guys

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Any you fish in the rivers and catch the bull sharks like they showed on cable last night? They were 1-4 feeet long, Are they good eating at that size?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT: Aussie Guys

Post by Jacko »

Afternoon 3leggedturtle, Bull sharks are common in the local River and creeks in my neck of the woods just North of Brisbane Queensland. Mostly they are a royal pain if you hook em and some Locals find out the hard way not to let their Dog swim in certain holes.

The smaller ones are great fun to shoot with a Bow and Arrow with a line attached where Legal, a pair of gloves is advisable hauling the bigger ones in. Not many folks I know eat them at any size, especially from Rivers near larger city's as being the apex predator in the water ways they are chock full of nasty stuff like heavy metals and chemicals. I don't recall ever Eating a Bull Shark specifically but do report I'd eat pelosi through a snotty rag so probably have.

They can grow to over 9 feet and do hunt in packs. A while ago a mate of mine had an intertesting encounter in a nearby Bay when at low tide wading across a Calf deep channel after pumping some Yabbies on a Sandbank a number of Bull Sharks hurried him along when they entered the shallow water, their Fins broke the surface 50 metres away. As he hurried ashore they accelerated towards him :shock: He ran like a Girl :lol:

There is Bull Sharks all around the world, saw a Doco the other week that mentioned fatal attacks in the States. Also known as Zambezi Sharks in Africa. Maybe there is someone local that eats them

regards Jacko
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Jacko thanks for info. Thats really interesting bout stickin' them with arrow.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I've heard that bull sharks have been caught in the Mississippi River as far north as St. Louis here in the States. Kinda makes me nervous, as I don't like sharks in the least.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

There goes some more nice swimmin' holes! Well, as he says about near the cities, maybe some of them including the mighty Mississip not such a good idea anyway!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I found this bit rather interesting in Wikipedia's entry on bull sharks:

"The bull shark is the best known of 43 species of elasmobranch in ten genera and four families to have been reported in fresh water. Elasmobranchs' ability to enter fresh water is limited because their blood is normally at least as salty (in terms of osmotic strength) as seawater, through the accumulation of urea and trimethylamine oxide, but bull sharks living in fresh water reduce the concentration of these solutes by up to 50%. As a result, bull sharks living in fresh water need to produce twenty times as much urine as those in salt water.

Initially, scientists thought the sharks in Lake Nicaragua belonged to an endemic species, the Lake Nicaragua shark (Carcharhinus nicaraguensis). In 1961, following specimens comparisons, taxonomists synonymized them. They can jump along the rapids of the San Juan River (which connects Lake Nicaragua and the Caribbean Sea), almost like salmon. Bull sharks tagged inside the lake have later been caught in the open ocean (and vice versa), with some taking as little as 7–11 days to complete the journey."

Go figure...

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Xcuse for sayin so, but seems a moot point, Aussies bein so far away an all, don't ya think? Don't get me wrong now.... I LOVE Aussies!!! jd45
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Forget the bullies mate, as Jacko will attest, its the drop bears you gotta watch.!!!
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET