Question for CCI rimfire fans

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Question for CCI rimfire fans

Post by gamekeeper »

This evening I took a walk with the 9422 and shot three young cotton tails, I used CCI segmented sub sonic 40GR HP on two and an Eley sub sonic HP on the other.
Now the two hit with the segmented bullets were a grizzly sight, eyes popped out and brains blown out of the back of their skulls. The one hit by the Eley was DRT but nowhere near the damage as the other two. ( I didn't take photos as I thought Barry wouldn't like me posting them)
I have had the same results on squirrels, the CCI leave nothing for the pot.

QUESTION: Has anyone used the CCI segmented 32GR HP :?:

It has the same ballistics as the Stinger so I'm thinking it may be a devastating round (for a .22 LR) on Foxes.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Question for CCI rimfire fans

Post by J Miller »

g k,

I haven't used them at all. Actually I didn't even know they existed.

That segmented bullet sounds just the ticket for small varmint and pest control. Definitely not for hunting though.

Now I'll have to find some and see how they work from my 9422.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Joe, they are just the job for nailing varmints you don't want for the pot!

I'm going to see if I can find any of the HV ones over here.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I use CCI solids for everything .22 I plan to keep, just for the reason that the HPs leave such a mess.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

FWiedner wrote:I use CCI solids for everything .22 I plan to keep, just for the reason that the HPs leave such a mess.

:)
The CCI segmented bullets virtually explode into three pieces, blood and guts everywhere! :shock:
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Right out of the CCI catalog:

SEGMENTED HOLLOW-POINT

The segmented hollow-point and its unique design gives varmint hunters excellent performance.
As you see here (picture of three pieces) this bullet breaks up into three parts on impact. Each
one acts like its own projectile and creates a distinct wound channel to bring your target down
hard. This bullet is ideal when you want maximum damage on impact.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

GK -

Could you post a picture of the box of the segmented rounds? Like Joe, I didn't know they existed.

Thanks!

YK
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I have not seen them on the shelves in Australia- now I will have to look- I think they will work better than Winchester subsonic
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Ysabel Kid wrote:GK -

Could you post a picture of the box of the segmented rounds? Like Joe, I didn't know they existed.

Thanks!

YK

ImageImage

I'm really interested to know how good the HV ones are? The sub sonics are devastating on small critters.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Very interesting GK, how do they group out your gun?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nath, I haven't tried them on paper, I only bought 100 rds to try out and just shot a few pieces of chalk about 2" diameter at about 55yds, the chalk turned to dust so I kept the rest for squirrels and rabbits.
The squirrels were completely gutted and the rabbits looked like I'd used a .22 Hornet. :shock: all one shot kills. I'm impressed with the stopping power but not much good if you want to eat what you shoot.
Of course head shots only should be taken but my 62 year old eyes and open sights don't work like they used too.. :cry:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

They look like an effective round for the otherwise marginal .22 LR cartridge - I'm surprised the Alpha-Goon agencies in the U.S. haven't banned them on some pretext or other... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

AJMD429 wrote:They look like an effective round for the otherwise marginal .22 LR cartridge - I'm surprised the Alpha-Goon agencies in the U.S. haven't banned them on some pretext or other... :|
I did wonder if they would be of value to anyone who only has a .22 for self defence, they may not penetrate heavy clothing without breaking into three pieces perhaps?
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

game keeper wrote:Nath, I haven't tried them on paper, I only bought 100 rds to try out and just shot a few pieces of chalk about 2" diameter at about 55yds, the chalk turned to dust so I kept the rest for squirrels and rabbits.
The squirrels were completely gutted and the rabbits looked like I'd used a .22 Hornet. :shock: all one shot kills. I'm impressed with the stopping power but not much good if you want to eat what you shoot.
Of course head shots only should be taken but my 62 year old eyes and open sights don't work like they used too.. :cry:
You don't be worrying about your eyes now, your doing just fine :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Never used the 32gr segmented, but have taken crow, armadillo, squirrel, rabbit, raccoon, and gopher with CCI Stingers.

Most shots were 25-50yds (with the exception of a few crows) head shots from a scoped 10-22. The destruction wasn't too bad, but still more than when using solids.

Never saw a need for much else. For comparison, shot a few with Mini Mag HPs and have to say vermin react a bit more with the Stingers and at further range when hit. All were DRT, but the Stingers generally leave no doubt as to a hit.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

meanc wrote:Never used the 32gr segmented, but have taken crow, armadillo, squirrel, rabbit, raccoon, and gopher with CCI Stingers.

Most shots were 25-50yds (with the exception of a few crows) head shots from a scoped 10-22. The destruction wasn't too bad, but still more than when using solids.

Never saw a need for much else. For comparison, shot a few with Mini Mag HPs and have to say vermin react a bit more with the Stingers and at further range when hit. All were DRT, but the Stingers generally leave no doubt as to a hit.
I carry a few Stingers in case I see a Fox when I'm hunting Rabbits,(not that I would have time to reload my 9422) but I would like to compare them to the HV segmented CCI, for both accuracy and knock down.