O/T WINCHESTER 458 MAGNUM CAST BULLETS

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

O/T WINCHESTER 458 MAGNUM CAST BULLETS

Post by gary rice »

Just curious if anyone has used cast in the model 70 and what the results were. Those 500 grain hdys are getting expensive. Ive been thinking about the beartooth 525 grn cast with a gas check.
g rice
win92
Levergunner 2.0

Re: O/T WINCHESTER 458 MAGNUM CAST BULLETS

Post by win92 »

I load a gas checked 500 gr Lee bullet in a custom Ruger Num 1 in 45-70
It shoots really well though recoil is stout. The barrel has a 16 twist so that should be getting close to what a Mod 70 458 will be
win92
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win92 »

Here is a target to go with the rifle pic.
I think 458 win mags are generaly quite cast friendly

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Not to 'divert' the thread, but sometime post more about that gun...

I have a 7mm Rem Mag Ruger No.1 that I either want to sell, trade, or re-barrel, and that gun seems to be a natural for a 'thumper' vs. a 'ultra-long-range tackdriver' like the 7mm Rem Mag.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

gary rice wrote:Just curious if anyone has used cast in the model 70 and what the results were. Those 500 grain hdys are getting expensive. Ive been thinking about the beartooth 525 grn cast with a gas check.

Wow kewel and nice shooting. TKS for the info now ill order the beartooths and try em out.
g rice
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Not a 458 but similar in bullet weight and speed, my 470NE shoots 500 gr. gas checked cast bullets just a good as jacketed bullets. It seems that the larger the caliber, the easier they shoot cast bullets accurately. I cast these myself and heat treat so they are rather hard. I think you'll be pleased with the Beartooth cast bullets. Here's one of mine with a 22lr for comparison.

NRA Life Member
450ak
Levergunner

Post by 450ak »

Make sure the bullets are at least .460 diameter. You must fill up the throat on a factory 458 chamber or accuracy will be poor. You are better off cutting off a half inch of barrel and rethreading and recutting the retarded factory chamber with a non saami reamer instead of having a funnel throat that can measure up to .470 diameter.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I've shot the 500gr RCBS, about 525grs, through my M70 .458 for 25 years. I just use how ever much 3031 I can stand at the time. Excellent accuracy at all velocities.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson