Winchesters that have recently departed the fold (photos)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Winchesters that have recently departed the fold (photos)

Post by KirkD »

I only have a modest collection of, usually, around seven old Winchesters or Marlins ..... and I have zero budget for acquisitions. So every time I want to buy a 'new' old classic, something has to go. Here are a couple old Winchesters that I sold in the last few months in order to acquire the funds to get some of the other rifles I have posted recently. When I posted them for sale up here in Canada, both of them were gone within an hour or so. Makes me wonder if my prices were a tad low, but I'm happy and the buyers seem to be very happy.

The first one was an original Winchester 1886 Extra light, Takedown 45-70 shipped in 1901. This one was worth a healthy sum and it really freed up some $$$!

The most recent was my Winchester Model 53 chambered in 44-40. This is a very rare rifle, and was made in 1928. This one freed up the $$$ for a very nice pair of Swarovski SLC HD 10x42 High Definition binoculars. I've wanted a high quality pair of bino's for 20 years and finally decided that the only way it was going to happen was to sell one of my nice old Winchesters.

Boys, you may wonder why I parted with these beautiful old guns. Fact of the matter is that I find I enjoy my old guns if I only have a few of them. Don't know why. That is just the way it is. There are some that I always want to keep, and the rest come and go.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchesters that have recently departed the fold (photos)

Post by Pitchy »

Cool and know how ya feel, got rid of a few i`d liked to have back.
By the way are those cheer leader snowshoes :shock: :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Pitchy wrote:By the way are those cheer leader snowshoes :shock: :lol:
I don't know who made them. I bought them off a friend about 45 years ago for $3.

Edit: Ha! I finally got it ...... the wooly things! :D
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

:D

Good for you Kirk :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I`m envisioning a pretty snow bunny in them now :mrgreen:
You have some nice guns and great pictures of them. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Oh man, I love that extra light takedown. Sorry you had to let it go.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

The Holy Grail of Levers for Me,an original '86 lite weight.and Kirk You....sold it................................ :cry: :cry: :cry:
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Kirk, welcome to my club. :D Like you I enjoy a few, then pass them on, for someone else to enjoy. I always try to use "old" money to acquire something new. I must have "firearm ADD" because I get bored easily. Other than my match rifles and a few "emotional attachments" I usually turn the remainder over annually..............and I have no regrets.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

KirkD wrote:........Boys, you may wonder why I parted with these beautiful old guns. Fact of the matter is that I find I enjoy my old guns if I only have a few of them..........
Makes perfect sense to me. I had a bunch of stuff and pared things down to a level that I can actually spend some time using. Now, I pretty much have what I want and most of that is what many would consider "low end" but it's stuff I like. I still want to get an old Charter Target Bulldog, but I would move something else first to keep from getting a pile going again and too much redundancy. I had too much stuff to be able to actually use and appreciate all of it.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Kirk, I understand your sentiment on the basis of a few guns. I don't know how to explain it though. Past life - making do with what you had would work if your mind could go there but I know yours doesn't.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

jdad wrote:Kirk, welcome to my club. :D Like you I enjoy a few, then pass them on, for someone else to enjoy. I always try to use "old" money to acquire something new. I must have "firearm ADD" because I get bored easily. Other than my match rifles and a few "emotional attachments" I usually turn the remainder over annually..............and I have no regrets.
I'm with you, jdad. I'm the same way. I have that core of competition/match rifles that have specific purposes and those firearms that I'll always have just "because". Then there's those that come and go as attitudes and interests change. Very strange indeed.

Kirk, I'd given my left arm to grab that '86 LiteWeight.... :shock: (drool)
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Doesnt matter if you still own them kirk, I still love to see any of your photos !
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

I sure like this forum :D
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I also have a core, and a group of other guns that do not quite cut it for one reason or another- often for completely subjective reasons- and get traded.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I have my few that I'll pass down to my son but I always say everything except my wife and son is for sale. I don't get too attached to things. I'll be dead soon enough and my son will get my few keepers and I hope he gives them the care I did and they give him the same pleasure I received from them.