Winchester 1876 range report (photos)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Winchester 1876 range report (photos)

Post by KirkD »

RANGE REPORT: WINCHESTER 1876 .45-60

This past week I lubed and sized my remaining stash of .45-60 cast bullets and, while doing that, got to thinking that I really needed to take the ’76 to the range down the road to remind myself what the old classic rifle would do.

The Rifle: This old rifle is an original Winchester 1876 with a 28” round barrel and chambered for the venerable .45-60 cartridge. Although the serial number suggests it was made in 1884, the factory information from the Cody Museum states that it was received in the Winchester warehouse on May 13, 1886 and shipped September 21st, 1886. The factory records indicate that it was ‘R&R’ on October 3, 1895, indicating it came back to the factory for something, though I have no clue as to what. The gun letters as is. Here is a photo of the vintage Winchester 1876 ...

For those who might be interested in such things, here is a photo of the barrel address....

Sights: The rear sight is an adjustable leaf sight, also known as a ladder sight. Here are photos of the rear and front sights....

The Load: My standard load for the .45-60 is 25 grains of 5744 under a cast, gas check round nose, flat point bullet that, when lubed, GC’d and sized weighs about 318 grains. That big, flat meplat means business. This gives an average velocity of around 1,320 fps and a fairly low E.S. and S.D. The brass is made by Rocky Mountain Cartridge ( http://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/ ) and comes properly headstamped and with the necks annealed. I use the Lee dies for the 45-60. They are inexpensive, but work just fine. Here is a photo of the bullets I lubed and sized this past week. There are a little over 200 there, so that should last me a year or two because I like to take it easy on this old rifle .....

Trip to the Range:

I have 40 brass cases, but only had 14 rounds loaded. The first step was to sight it in. I set up a target at the 50 yard bunker, laid the old ’76 across my shooting bag and, aiming low because I assumed it might be a little high at that range, let ‘er rip. The shot was low and just clipped the left edge of the paper. I then centered the front sight and, aiming a bit higher, fired another round. This one was still a bit to the left, so I adjusted the rear sight over. The next three rounds were pretty well centered and formed a group of 15/16”. Here is a photo of the target ....

I could see that the rounds were going in about 4” higher than my point of aim at 50 yards, so I figured that is good and set two targets up at 100 yards. I laid the old ’76 across my shooting bag and cranked out three rounds, and then took a stroll down to the target to take a look. Two shots were very close and one was a bit lower and to the left. I walked back and took two more shots at the target. Four of the shots went into 1 & 9/16” but the one that was low and to the left extended the five-shot group to 2 & 5/16”. I’m happy if my rifles will put five rounds into a group of less than 3” at 100 yards with open iron sights, but I knew that the flyer that was low and to the left was my fault. This is a very accurate old Winchester, and I am sure that it can shoot better than I can aim. I would say that the 1 & 9/16” four-shot group is closer to what this old rifle can actually do at 100 yards with cast bullets. Here is a photo of the target ....

Well, I only had four rounds left, and I was itching to try some offhand shooting at 100 yards, so I loaded the remaining four cartridges into the magazine and shot free-standing, left arm extended not resting my elbow on my chest. It was my first time this year with this old rifle and I felt sloppy. One of the shots I muttered my disgust, knowing that it had went in low. When I walked down to the target, I was pleasantly surprised to see that three of the four shots had gone in within 2” of dead centre, but the dadgummed low shot was there plain as day. Boys, that is what lack of practice does to a fellow ..... inconsistency. Still, for the first offhand shooting of the season with that old rifle, I wasn’t discouraged; I know that things always improve with practice. Here is a photo of the 100 yards, offhand target showing the four shots. .....

I have to say that I am really pleased with this old Winchester Model 1876. One of these years I am going to harvest a Whitetail deer with it .... maybe this fall. This is a very accurate rifle. With those 300 grain bullets moving out the barrel at 1,320 fps, I’m good out to 200 yards. Beyond that, I’d need a range finder to know how far to adjust my elevation and I don’t have one of those, so I’ll have to keep my shots inside of 200 yards as usual, depending on the circumstances and whether or not I can lean against the tree, or crouch down to sharpen up my aim.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Winchester 1876 range report (photos)

Post by Jeff H »

Beautiful gun and pretty impressive shooting.

Great to see something that old still woorks so well,.....and as for that rifle..... :wink:

Yeah, I meant the rifle when I said "that old." :lol:

Beautiful scenery and photography Kirk.
Are you going to hunt that are with that rifle?

Beautiful gun.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Jeff H wrote: Are you going to hunt that are with that rifle?
I sure am! For me, hunting is not half as much fun if I can't use a century-old levergun.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

That is a beautiful rifle and some good fun shooting.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Thanks for the RR... Nice Shootin & Sweet old Rifle... Nothin as much fun as shootin the oldies!!
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That is a very fine rifle and some nice shooting. Good to see an old Winchester out getting out there.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Great report, Kirk, and great shooting with that stunning old 1876 Winchester. My Ubert 1876 is 120 years newer than your original, but I doubt it could shoot any better than that! :mrgreen:

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Very good Kirk, you done good.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

on a 1 to 10 scale thats a 20, just great
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Kirk - These posts of yours with the sharp photos of fine old leverguns are great. They're even better when you treat us with reports like you did here. Very nice. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Great post Kirk! And nice accurate '76! I like the round barrel.

Reminds me, I have to get a weekend off work one of these days to try out some tame loads I made for my 1894 30wcf.

Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

great work there Kirk. Very nice rifle and shooting!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Very Good Kirk. I can't help but think of the workmen who built these rifles when they were on the cutting edge. no computers no CNC and the proof of there work is still here all these years later. :) .
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Very handsome rifle and some might fine shoot'n too!
76 are so rare here in Florida...I think I have only seen one in a
very large, over price gun shop...
nice job with the cast bullets too....

that will put venison on the table....no problem at all! :wink:

I'm thinking about a uberti myself.....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Beautiful rifle and great range report. Great shooting. I always enjoy your posts. thanks so much
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Wonderfull report KD as ever, if only we could look so good at that age :roll:

That ole'girl needs to fill a freezer this fall!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Shasta wrote:Great report, Kirk, and great shooting with that stunning old 1876 Winchester. My Ubert 1876 is 120 years newer than your original, but I doubt it could shoot any better than that! :mrgreen:

SHASTA

Same here, my rifle might but I know I can't. Great report and photos. My '76 is at the gunsmith's for some major surgery, but that's another story.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Excellent report, as usual, Kirk. That is one FINE '76 and very accurate on top of that. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Thanks for the report, Kirk. You sure picked up a jewel. I can just imagine walking the woods with that rifle and feeling like I was time wharped back to the late 1800's. Cool.
Old Law Dawg
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

Beautiful rifle and fine shooting. Whoever owned that '76 over the years took very good care of the old girl. Thanks for sharing.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Martini450 wrote:Beautiful rifle and fine shooting. Whoever owned that '76 over the years took very good care of the old girl. Thanks for sharing.
kimwcook wrote:Thanks for the report, Kirk. You sure picked up a jewel. I can just imagine walking the woods with that rifle and feeling like I was time wharped back to the late 1800's. Cool.
+1
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hi Kirk -

Great range report, as always. I am also always in awe at your skill with the camera in addition to your skill with beautiful old Wincesters.

Did you use any TP in your loads this time?
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

:mrgreen: good stuff Kirk :mrgreen:
I got an Italian 76 in a trade a few months ago but haven't shot it yet. It's a 40-60.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Now that is far out man, very impressive. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Pitchy wrote:Now that is far out man, very impressive. 8)

I'm with Pitchy, especially the "far out" term. :D (you would have had to live in the sixties to understand that!)

Kirk,
I know you have heard this before but you take nice pics. The '76 looks like a clean original example and in a caliber I have been looking for, for about 30 years. I either find 'em beat or too nice--in other words either $1200 or $7000. I could have had one just like that last month but it was inbetween a beater and a nice clean example for $2500, but the bore was beat.

Yours is also a great shooter -----Can I have it? :D

5744 sure is the way to go with the old ones :wink: ---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Gotta love it!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Sixgun wrote:Yours is also a great shooter -----Can I have it? :D
I like you, Sixgun! No beating around the bush! :D
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Great RR Kirk and beaut pics as always. Certainly a fine old rifle to treasure. Love that spring green in the trees, we dont get that in this part of Australia when spring comes.

Rgds
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

What was your source of those gas checked bullets? Gotta find me some for my '76.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

southfork wrote:What was your source of those gas checked bullets? Gotta find me some for my '76.
I got these GC cast bullets from a local fellow about 6 years ago before I started casting myself. My own mould looks the same except it is a plain base mould. Where he got his mould, I do not know.

Ysabel Kid: With my current load of 25 grains of 5744, I have found that I do not need TP. I still get a low E.S. and S.D.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

KirkD wrote:
Sixgun: When that happens :roll: i have 2#'s of 5744 i'll give you :P
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

3leggedturtle wrote:
KirkD wrote:
Sixgun: When that happens :roll: i have 2#'s of 5744 i'll give you :P
I'd recommend you just go ahead and shoot that powder ... by the time I get around to giving Sixgun my '76 the 5744 might be getting a little old. :wink:
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Kirk,
GREAT range report and PICS! :D That surely is a neat vintage 1876. :D

That gas checked bullet was made from the RCBS 300 gr GC mold. In w.w. +2% tin, bullets weigh 320 grs from the one I have.

That is a cool rear sight.....plenty of elevation.... :D
Hopefully you can make it back to Ridgway sometime and send some rounds way out there.......
I'll bring some black powder rounds for you to try. 8)

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Kirk,

I've had enough of this "Can I have it terminology". Listen-----real close.

Last month, my bud Tom showed me this 1888 Trapdoor 45-70 that he just got in the gunshop. I said, "Not bad, clean, been used a bit, still tight, nice bore, missing the ram rod bayonet......oh well.........Can I have it?"

He said, "You really want it?" I said, "sure". He GAVE it to me.

You can call Targetmaster at 610-459-5400 and ask for "Tommy". You have to say, "in reference to Jack" or he won't take your call. When he says, "hello" just ask him if he gave "Jack" an 1888 Trapdoor.

Its the second time---the first time he gave me an extra lightweight 1886 Winchester in 45-90--a rare piece---------just for the asking :D :D -----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sixgun, there's more to it than that. Somewhere you've paid your dues and he appreciates it. Personally, I don't know if your worth that much, but obviously he does. :D
Old Law Dawg
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Sixgun, that is amazing! I have to confess that I have been the recipient of some pretty impressive gifts over the years as well which, in turn, has taught me a thing or two about giving. Sometimes I wish I was loaded so that I could give people some serious stuff and they wouldn't even know where it came from. I'm not feeling sufficiently philanthropic, however, to give away my '76 just yet! :wink: