The Winter Shooting Challenge

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

The Winter Shooting Challenge

Post by KirkD »

As a result of the sheer number of off-topic posts, I find myself coming here less frequently; it's dadgummed hard to find an on-topic post. However, I have no plans to leave, as there are still posts here about shooting that I enjoy.

My theory about all these off-topic posts and the occasional cranky post is that there's way too many fellows here that aren't shooting enough right now due to it being winter. Cabin fever has set in. Last summer ScottT posted the pie-plate challenge. That gives me an idea: The Winter Shooting Challenge. Rules are as follows:

1. In the next three weeks, everyone on this forum get off their duff, and make one (that's all I'm asking .... just one) trip to the range and do some shooting. (or go hunting)
2. Take some photos of your 100 yard groups, no matter how bad they are. (If everyone posted 1.8", 5-shot groups at 100 yards it would be boring .... I'd like to see some 12" groups, maybe even some 14" groups, from those who can't do any better yet! Don't worry about it, you'll get better with practice.)
3. Post your results on this forum.

I don't want to hear any durn-tootin' excuses about it being cold, or it being winter. It's cold enough up here to freeze your backside off and I've got snow up to my ying yang, but I still enjoy the odd trip to the range every couple weeks. I'm planning another trip in the next few days with my 44-40.

Bottom Line: If we all get off our duffs and out of the cabin and go shooting just once (just once is all I'm asking), and post the results, we'll have more on-topic, levergun-shooting posts than you can shake a stick at.
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

here here!
k8bor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by k8bor »

Are 50 yarders with open sights and bp loads in my 1895CB good enough for this one?

I've cast and loaded up about 40 bp's for that rifle, but the snow is deep enough here to make it real hard to do 100 yards and I'm going to do some general accuracy work this weekend. It's supposed to be up into the low 20's, so I think it'll be fine.

BTW I've gotten some excellent advice getting started from Scott T. and a couple other fellows as far as learning to crawl before I walk on this adventure. I'll be using a brass front blade sight and a Marbles full buckhorn on the rear, as they've worked real well with the smokeless loads I've tried in it so far. I'll take some pics.
de k8bor

Dave
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

k8bor wrote:Are 50 yarders with open sights and bp loads in my 1895CB good enough for this one?
You bet! There are probably a lot of fellows who might not have access to a 100 yard range. 50 yards is just fine. The main thing is that everyone gets out shooting at least once .... hunting, the range, doesn't matter, but they should really try to learn how to post pics and give us a report, no matter how lame you think it is. I'm sure we'll all still enjoy it.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I am currently working 7 days a week, so I don't really have the time in my schedule to make a field trip to the range to sit on the 100 yard line for any appreciable length of time.

I do, however, have the opportunity to practice at least once a week at a local indoor range, shooting 2" bulls from 25yds.

It ain't the same as being out in the sunshine and makin' gluteal contact with mother earth, but hey, we takes what we can get.

A .30-30 170gr FNSP that is -0.1 at 25yds is 0.0 at 100yds.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

KirkD...I think you are right on. I know I'm getting a little ornery since I haven't put any lead downrange in a couple of months. I'm going to spend the next couple of nights loading up some and try your cure for what ails me.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

FWiedner wrote:I am currently working 7 days a week, so I don't really have the time in my schedule to make a field trip to the range to sit on the 100 yard line for any appreciable length of time.

I do, however, have the opportunity to practice at least once a week at a local indoor range, shooting 2" bulls from 25yds.

It ain't the same as being out in the sunshine and makin' gluteal contact with mother earth, but hey, we takes what we can get.

A .30-30 170gr FNSP that is -0.1 at 25yds is 0.0 at 100yds.

:)
An indoor, 25 yard range is perfectly fine. The objective is to get some shooting, followed by a post that, hopefully, contains a photo or two so the rest of us can enjoy the event as well.
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Post by centershot »

God Bless you, Kirk! I'm in on this one! Cabin fever sets in pretty deep on me during the winter; I'm sittin' here remembering a time when I didn't care what the weather was, I had a day off and I was goin' shootin'! And so I will! I'll get out to the range the weekend of the 23rd (gotta' work this weekend). I'll have to borrow a digital camera, but I'll git-er-dun!

You live in Central Ontario? I know some folks up in North Bay, they say they have snow there 'til the 1st or 2nd week of May, hopr that doesn't hold true for you also! I live about 60 miles south of Buffalo, NY and considering that, I guess we don't have it too bad here!

centershot
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

OK, Kirk. Later today I will have up pics of some .357 rifle ammo that after the first shot had a vertical dispersion of less than the bullet with for 5 shots at 50 yds. I bought 5 boxes. Off to the office now.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

And cold :?: , it was 80 something in the sun.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

http://www.weather.com/weather/local/US ... centsearch :D :D :D

I shoot Lever Action silhouette 3 times a week. Shot 34x40 with my 32-20 last Monday, will that do?? :wink:

Sorry, no photos, I have struggled for 20 minutes to post a photo from photobucket on this site to no avail, I dont have this trouble on other sites.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

jnyork, you're practically there. Under each of your Photobucket pictures, you'll see four addresses. Copy the bottom one and paste it into your post and you're there. Ignore the 'Img' button on this site; just copy and paste. The 32-20 is one of my favourite cartridges and I don't see a lot of posts on this site, so hopefully you can get those photos up.

You fellows who are having to put up with 75 and 80 degree temperatures in the middle of winter ... I really feel bad for you. Hope you are going to make it. I'd go nuts if I had to put up with nice weather all year round. Another snow storm is rolling in this afternoon. :)
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

My theory about all these off-topic posts and the occasional cranky post is that there's way too many fellows here that aren't shooting enough right now due to it being winter. Cabin fever has set in.
Well Kirk, I think you are correct. Especially the cranky post part. Although I really don't know anybody that fits that description :roll: :wink: .

Shooting is something that many of us take for granted. Some of us have our own land and can go shooting any time we want for free, some can shoot off their porches. Some can just drive out to the country or desert and find a free open spot. Others have to drive miles and miles and miles to find a gun range, and then pay exorbitant sums to shoot.
Some can't afford the gas and range fees. So lets try to cut those who can't just go shooting some slack.

Cabin fever ............ more like cabin pneumonia.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

OK, I will try again with the photos

Post by jnyork »

Here are a couple of shots taken last week at our shoot:

As you can see, we have to dress for the cold down here!! :D
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Good idea Kirk, Hopefully tomorrow will be my day to do just that! If I am able to go, I will post the results here on this thread. Anyone that wants to go with the Bus leaves at 7am. Coffee, and a donut in the cabin 1st of course!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

We shoot a few shots each week at the gongs; will try to post a few pics of some paper.

Still - the off-topic posts are sometimes interesting, so I don't mind them.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

J Miller wrote:....Others have to drive miles and miles and miles to find a gun range, and then pay exorbitant sums to shoot.
Some can't afford the gas and range fees. So lets try to cut those who can't just go shooting some slack.
I understand and everyone in that category gets cut some slack. Even if only half the members on this forum can do some shooting over the next three weeks, and if each of them posts a new thread on their trip, we'll have good posts coming out of our ears.

jnyork, great photos!

AJMD429, I agree that some off topic posts are interesting. I'm just thinking that if we can get a few more fellows out shooting at least once in the next three weeks, it will do a lot to take care of the winter blah's. I've been on this forum for several years; mid-winter can be a low point on this forum, but if more of us get out and shoot, we'll all enjoy life and the forum more.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Kirk you sure did hit the nail on the head this time. I'll get Jerry3 out and we will burn some powder and then I will go through the struggles of trying to get some pictures on here again. Thanks,
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Count me in....
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

planning on shooting this weekend with my brother which will be the first time since I don't remember when we shot together. If we hit the outside range, plan on shooting the new 1886, the .50 sharps, the mod 71, the 317 .22lr S&W, the .454 Freedom arms, and the Ruger .45 OA both in black powder ball and .45LC (I bought a conversion cylinder). Should be lots of pics to post. Excellent Idea and I look forward to the posts.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Excellent post, Kirk, thanks!

I intend to participate, but given the weather it will have to be biathlon-style. I have the X-C skis already out and well-waxed, and I'll just break out a 24" Marlin M39A with globe sights to do the deed.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Kirk,
I'm gonna do my best to get to the range. Might be just the indoor one, but it's still shooting.

jnyork,
Where is this range at? I love that blue sky.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Noah Zark wrote:Excellent post, Kirk, thanks!

I intend to participate, but given the weather it will have to be biathlon-style. I have the X-C skis already out and well-waxed, and I'll just break out a 24" Marlin M39A with globe sights to do the deed.
Noah
Heh, heh! I hear you! I've been wondering if I need to bring my x-country skiis to the range so I can make it down to the 100 yard stops! :D
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

That sounds like a great idea. It seems to be a dead time of year in spite of varmint seasons being open.
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

I'm in! I took my new-to me Sharps the other day and could not group anything. Looks like a great gun to get 4' groups with so I will probably win the "worst shot" story of the crew but hey what the heck. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Will do!! And GOOD IDEA ! :wink:
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

505stevec wrote:I'm in! I took my new-to me Sharps the other day and could not group anything. Looks like a great gun to get 4' groups with so I will probably win the "worst shot" story of the crew but hey what the heck. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Steve, 4" ain't all that bad. I'm sure someone on this forum can do worse .... Maybe we should have a 'show-us-how-bad-a-group-you-got-without-doing-it-on-purpose' thread. :D Maybe it will be me! :shock: I'm planning to do some offhand shooting in the howling blizzard at a target that I might be able to occasionally see at 100 yards with my 44-40. Hopefully, I get at least one hole in the paper, by gum!
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Great idea, Kirk! I think I'll go shoot the 71 next week!
.........THE TWINS..........

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I went to the range today. Had to qualify for the department. No problem qualifying, but I need to get to the range more often. Shooting is a time diminishing skill and I haven't been shooting enough.

Sorry it wasn't with a lever. I'll keep trying.
Old Law Dawg
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

KirkD - he said 4' not 4" :)
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

rjohns94 wrote:KirkD - he said 4' not 4" :)
Ooops! Four feet! Now that's a horse of a different color! A four foot group will be hard to for even me to beat!
engravertom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by engravertom »

OK,
I'm due for another range report. A new to me levergun to shoot and show!

I'm way behind on side work, but I will get it done somehow. I've been shooting a lot more than ever before since the fall. I need to keep it up.

Thanks for the great idea!

Tom
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Try to ignore the 22s at the bottom. Sighting in my new 39A (really having fun with that one). In the past two range reports on the 1894 Cowboy Limited 357 there was vertical stringing of approximately 3 1/4" to 3 3/4" with velocity variations of 50 fps. That was with both Blazer 158 and Winchester 158 gr .357 Mag.

This target at 50 yds was with PMC 158 gr. PMC. The first shot as you see was in the x ring from a cold clean barrel. The next 5 shots as you see were in a horizontal line with not more than one bullet width variation vertically. Wasn't using the chronograph - that remains to be done but I bought 4 more boxes of the same lot.

Last edited by Old Savage on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Old Savage, that's nice shooting. You set the bar pretty high with shooting like that and open iron sights. I'm planning to head out today to see if I can squeeze off a few rounds before freezing up solid. Had another storm last night .... can't get out of the lane this morning due to large snow drifts, but I've got a 48" snowblower mounted on the front of my John Deere lawn tractor which should take care of that little problem.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wish you the best with that Kirk. It's a lot easier at 80 degrees here - there are some advantages to Calif. inspite of the impressions.

Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Great idea Kirk.
Going to try and get out again this week end, we had a match last Sunday, bitter cold in that wind (wind chills in the -20's) but I was so beat after setting the targets out (too much snow for the Gator, had to do it all by hand) I did not shoot, just ran the match.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Just seen your pictures Old Savage, sure beats what we have right now!!
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
tcomer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by tcomer »

Ok KirkD. You wanted the bad. here it is. Me: Been using a scope for years. Trying to learn to use open sights. Gun : '75 Winchester 94 in 30-30, Williams peep sight, not sighted in. Load: 10grs Unique under 170gr Laser Cast bullet. Weather: Balmy 32 degrees and slightly windy. Distance: about 45 yards. Results: http://www.pixagogo.com/6738624164 Click on a pic to make it bigger, then click on original at the top to really blow it up. Once I slowly got the Williams sight dialed in, I was doing better. Still not all the way there. My reloads are still suspect, but seem to print better than my last attempt. I ran out of black sticky targets. An orange front sight and and orange target doesn't go well together. Then to top it off, wife ran up and said a opossum was eating the cat food. Nailed him at about 10 yards. All in all, I had fun today getting out of the house.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Looked at the pics before I read yer post... was gonna ask, "HEY, how'd you get that possum to play possum? :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
tcomer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by tcomer »

I was shocked when she said there was a possom eating the cat food. I rarely ever seen them in the daytime, much less when it's cold out. Shot a skunk last week at 5 AM. It was like 10 degrees out. I do need some more of those black stick on targets. I was kinda able to home in on them. Like I said, I'm trying to learn to use open sights on a rifle again and I just couldn't get a good sight picture with the orange dots on those targets. But with 10grs of Unique, that gun is a hoot to shoot. Put 67 rounds through it. It'll take a lot more before I'm any good with it.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

As usual Kirk, you speak volumes. I have been fighting cabin fever for weeks. Fortunately I have the garage to retreat to. I did get some loading done but now I wait for a warm enough day to open a door and cast. I only have about a dozen bullets left. :shock
We had a nice little snow a few days ago so I took a picture. As you can see, we take the cabin fever thing pretty seriously around here. :wink:
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Beautiful place you got there, Gobbler. Looks like you got some decent snow, too. For the past three days, I've been planning to go to the range, but I'm leaving for Scotland tonight and there has been a slew of unforeseen things come up before I leave. Yesterday, I actually had my old 44-40 and shooting bag in the truck before a diversion hit. Looks like I'll have to wait until I get back.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Could not make it to the outdoor range, but got to the indoor one last night and sent lots of lead downrange at the chickens and pigs, great therapy!
Hope to get to the outdoor range Sunday if the predicted storm is late coming.
Have a good trip Kirk.

Pete
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good trip Kirk or welcome back :D Err, am I exempt? As in I have not stopped shooting all through winter. You have seen the fox's not to mention the rabbit and squirl. Then there is the M/L shotgun and their modern equiv on pheasant, woodcock and pigeon :)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TCB in TN »

Wasn't a lever gun, but I took out the old Savage Sweet 16 copy I just bought and ran a few rounds through her! Was very happy, knocked a couple of clays outta the air, and patterned real nice at 20 yards. Will make a nice rabbit or squirrel gun. Not long enough for a dove gun, but then i don't do a lot of dove huntin anyway.