Reporting Targets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Richard
Levergunner 2.0

Reporting Targets

Post by Richard »

Looking for input regarding reporting targets. Good idea or bad? Plans/size, materials, mounts, and distance for lever actions. (I've been to a private range setup for pistol at about 50 feet, seen then on Youtube used for rifle.)

Just looking for input. :)

Visit this link . . . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRcmGRazf9s
Last edited by Richard on Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
“What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him” — 1 Corinthians 2:9
Stump Buster
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Reporting Targets

Post by Stump Buster »

Not sure I've heard of these. Do you have a youtube link showing one in use?
Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky, live like you ain't afraid to die and don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "The Ride" performed by the very much missed, Chris LeDoux.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I think the OP is referring to the steel plates and gongs that they use on that guy's YouTube. If he is, then what you need is good hard steel (armor plate works best for long life) and a fabricator who can cut them to your specs. We've found that 1/2" armor plate will stand up to heavy rifle fire for a long time. Also, its best to weld the mounting tabs on the back of the plate as it both causes the steel plate to tip down a bit which directs the spall that direction as well as keeps them from getting hit and knocked off.

There are also many commercial types you can buy. Check out some HERE.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Richard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Richard »

Hey Steve, you're on-it!! :D

Thanks
“What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him” — 1 Corinthians 2:9
Stump Buster
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Stump Buster »

Ah...gotcha now. Yes, Steel Targets are EXCELLENT for training, they just have a tendency to be heavy! But, it's hard to not get your money's worth and a lifetime of use from a good one (or 3 or 7 or...)!!!

Hope you find what your looking for with the provided link from Steve!!!

All the Best,

Stump
Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky, live like you ain't afraid to die and don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "The Ride" performed by the very much missed, Chris LeDoux.
243dave
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 243dave »

What I've done is pick up scrap along the rail-road tracks. The plates that hold the track to the wooden ties are usually strung about unused and rusting never to be used again, so I figured I could make some use of them. Being about 6x9 inches and very hard and heavy steel they are awesome for 22's. I'm sure they will work well for pistol rounds and maybe rifles if they are doubled up. The good thing about them is they have holes in them already where the spikes go thru so all you have to do is bolt a good chain to it and hang them to what ever, so no welding is required. These are my poor man gongs. :D
Dave
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

243dave wrote:What I've done is pick up scrap along the rail-road tracks. The plates that hold the track to the wooden ties are usually strung about unused and rusting never to be used again, so I figured I could make some use of them. Being about 6x9 inches and very hard and heavy steel they are awesome for 22's. I'm sure they will work well for pistol rounds and maybe rifles if they are doubled up. The good thing about them is they have holes in them already where the spikes go thru so all you have to do is bolt a good chain to it and hang them to what ever, so no welding is required. These are my poor man gongs. :D
Dave
Not 'poor man' but rather smart man! I've got to look into those myself.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are