The Winchester Model 64 with PHOTOS

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

The Winchester Model 64 with PHOTOS

Post by mod71alaska »

I couldn't sleep tonight...like a lot of nights...so I thought I'd post a couple of levergun photos. I chose the Winchester Model 64, produced from 1933 to 1957, because we haven't been talking much about the beautiful Model 64 lately. The Model 64 also happens to be one of my very favorite lever action rifles!

The 1st photos shows six Winchester Model 64s in an even mix of 30wcf and 32ws calibers: a prewar model on the left, 3 from the 1940s, and finally 2 from the early 1950s. Note the subtle changes in the shape of the Model 64 buttstock over the years, especially in the comb. There are differences in stock thickness, too. By far the thinnest and most delicate stock is on the prewar Model 64; the stocks on the 1940's rifles were thicker; and the thickest stocks were on the Model 64s made in the early and mid 1950s. I often have wondered why the progression toward thicker stocks took place on Winchesters during this time frame of production. It didn't only happen on the Winchester Model 64.

Six Winchester Model 64 rifles: 3 standard models and 3 Deluxe "Dear Slayers"

From top to bottom, this photo shows the prewar Model 64, the 1952 Deluxe "Deer Slayer" Model 64, and the Winchester Model 64A which was reintroduced in 1972. You can see additional stock changes in the 64A. The Winchester Model 64A was produced for a little over 1 year and is one of the lowest production Winchesters ever made. (Griff now owns this 64A and proudly has made it a Texas Deer slayer!)

I think posting these photos of my rifles (and yours, Griff!) has helped me give my blues a good kick in the kiester!

Do you have any photos you want to post and share? I bet you do. (If you're still having trouble posting photos on the Forum after reading the "Posting Pics" sticky, email them to me with the text you want and I'll be glad to post them for you.)

Here's my challenge: I DECLARE AN END TO CABIN FEVER ON THE LEVERGUN FORUM!!!
Last edited by mod71alaska on Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ArcticGoose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ArcticGoose »

Beautiful guns! Makes me think my 64 in 219 Zipper needs some company.
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

Beautiful rifle's. Thank's for posting pic's of them.
Karl
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Beautiful rifles but I've gone green all over again! :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

NICE COLLECTION :D Unfortunately you made me realize I NEED MORE!!!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Very nice collection.
Old Law Dawg
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Beautiful collection of 64's. I don't have one in my small collection, but I've been admiring them for quite some time. If one ever comes up for sale in my local gunshop, I'm pretty sure I'll be heading home with it. It is a graceful looking rifle. thanks for posting those photos. You definitely have some Desktop Photo material there!
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Very nice. It is fun just to take them out and admire. Congtats. 1886.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Thanks. I don't remember seeing one in person since the late '60s and that was in the store. Appreciate your pics and information on them.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I like em'
I need to get one of those!
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

rare

Post by brucew44guns »

They must be a little bit rare and seldom seen for sale, don't recall ever ssing any ecept one at a home auction once about 15 years ago. Nice collection here though!
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Drool alert! Drool ALERT!!!

Great pictures Victor - thank you for sharing!!!

Another great idea on beating the winter-time blues! Between your "share a photo of your lever(s)" and Kirk's "share a range report - go shooting" ideas, we'll beat the funk we all seem to be in soon enough.

Of course, living in SC - where it was 70 just a couple days ago - compared to Maine and Canada - doesn't give me much of an excuse for the "winter-time blues"! And being an election year, I think our discourse is going to be heavily-weighted through November to things other than levers. But, if we all try, and properly mark our posts (I try), I think we'll make it! Especially if we "share our lever pictures" and "go levering" as you guys have suggested!!! :D :D :D

I'm on the road - again - but plan on taking up both ideas and sharing here very shortly!!!
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Okay, I'm going to let my Winchester ignorance show. How does the 64 differ from the 94? Okay, there, I said it.
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

I can add much - but another NICE COLLECTION!

I hope you shoot those things!

Chad
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Very nice.great pictures.I have one made in '53,a standard model that is about 75%.still a great rifle but used enough that there is no need to treat it like a queen. Jim.
dz86
Levergunner

Post by dz86 »

Very nice. Thanks for warming up a cold, snowy, winter day!

Dave
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

nemhed wrote:Okay, I'm going to let my Winchester ignorance show. How does the 64 differ from the 94? Okay, there, I said it.
The Mdl 64 is internally a Mdl94. The pistol grip stock, barrel / magazine configuration and I think finish is about the only difference.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Heck of a nice 64 collection, Mod71! I'm a little green here. ;)

IMO the 64 is one of the more graceful, easy on the eye Winchester levers, along with the 71. The PG, the long barrel, the half-length mag tibe -- someting is just "right" about them.

I have a very short list of firearms I'd still like to acquire and a nice 64 is on it.

Thanks for sharing!

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Beautiful collection of 64's mod71alaska.

I have one Model 64, made in 1953. I also have a NRA Centennial rifle from 1971 that is marked as a Model 94, it is apparent that the NRA Centennial must have led to the reintroduction of the 64A in 1972?

1953 Model 64

1871-1971 NRA Centennial Model 94
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nice stuff - had one of the NRAs at one time. Let it get away but there is only so much money you can have invested at one time.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

No wonder it's so hard to find the really nice ones ... you've got most of them it appears. I really need one in Zipper.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Beautiful collection. thanks. I will be posting some pics soon fo all my new toys. Your post has inspired me to do so sooner rather than later.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Good Grief, what a fabulous colledtion! thanks for sharing them!
cable
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

Those are awesome photos of classic leverguns.
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Beautiful Rifles! I have I believe a 1934 Model 64 Carbine with the 20" Barrel. Would love to add a 24" big brother to it. Heres a picture from 1937, my Grampa, and my Model 64 Carbine are in the Middle. He was 32 years old at the time. I also own the deer shack in the picture, it has not changed, Neither has the rifle.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thanks for postin' another pic of my 64A, mod71alaska. It is still pretty pristine, having not been able to hunt this year. It would have made the trip, but I had a Trapper I wanted to "blood." Alas, the CFO nixed any hunting this past season.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Nice guns Pard!! :wink:
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I am a wisconsin boy too, raised near berlin. Once hunting with my dad I ran across a local farmer that missed a buck with a model 64 in .32 special. He was falsely blameing the rifle and dad bought it from him for $40 or $50! We drove him a couple of miles to his house so he could resume with a shotgun with slugs. This was back in the mid 50s.
I ran across the 30-30 shown about 30 years ago. It was built in 1952. Looked about new and unused. Last year I put a about 6 or 10 rounds through it. I also have a 94 that I shoot a lot more that I bought new in about 56. I also for awhile owned another I belive from that run of them made in the 70s. Heres my 1952.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

beautiful guns!