Peep sight on a pre 64 Winchester?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Peep sight on a pre 64 Winchester?

Post by FOTIS »

Is there a way of installing adjustable peep sites on this without any modifications? I do not want to ruin the value. Thank you for any insight, :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Peep sight on a pre 64 Winchester?

Post by Griff »

If the tang is drilled and tapped, no problem. If not, then no such luck.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

LocTite Black Max adhesive. Glue the sight where ever you want it.

Just kidding. Like Griff said, if the tang or side of the receiver isn't factory drilled for a sight, you'll have to have it drilled.

If you are worried about devaluing the rifle, leave it in the safe and use a different one.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by FOTIS »

How about a receiver sight like the Lyman 66?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

FOTIS wrote:How about a receiver sight like the Lyman 66?
That sight requires two holes to be D&T'd in the upper left rear corner of the receiver.
That is what I do to all my non factory drilled lever guns. That's also my favorite sight.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by FOTIS »

Thank you.
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

If it is pre-64 and not too old, it is probably drilled and tapped on the left side of the receiver for a receiver sight. Just order a Lyman, install it, adjust it to match the middle sight, and then drive out the middle sight. Shoot it to refine the adjustments and you are good to go! This type of receiver sight was made right back into the 20's, so your rifle will still be 'period' correct.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

"pre 64 winchester"

what model?
how old?
what condition?
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Sure. I bought my 94 new in 1957 and had this williams FP put on without D&T. It hasnt changed it`s zero either.

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I think it wasn't until about 1954 that Winchester started drilling/tapping the 94 for the receiver sight. I know my 1950 model is not.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

earlmck wrote:I think it wasn't until about 1954 that Winchester started drilling/tapping the 94 for the receiver sight. I know my 1950 model is not.
I've heard 53 or the same year they went to the short forearm. All I know is my 1950 isn't D&T'd either ... yet.

Joe
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

My 94s were D/T so - no problem

My 95 in 30-06 wasn't D/T but having my gunsmith D/T it was no problem for me - he was reluctant about decreasing "collector" value but, I convinced him it was a shooter for me - collector value will be my estate's concern.

There's even a Williams FPGR for rimfires that attaches to the scope grooves -

I like the Williams FP series but I understand the Lyman has solid following also. They all require a taller front sight but I like the white stripe front blade anyway -

Works for me !!
Last edited by OJ on Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I've been alright with the Lymans regarding front sight height, some are lower than factory. Most of mine have Lyman No 56's, a couple the Lyman 66's. I interchange then without doing anything to the front sights, just zeroing them.

I'm with OJ. I make my guns work for me. I've drilled and tapped an original Winchester 86, several Brownings, and am going to D&T a 1902 receiver in the process of building the gun from a receiver into a 38-55 short rifle. My 1927 94 was D&T'ed for a Lyman 56 when I got it, it was a very old installation, perhaps factory, tho I've never checked the records.

Any potential change in value doesnt bother me, they are worth more to me in a form that work best for me. YMMV.

The '27,

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
zoner
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zoner »

my 1942 Winchester was not drilled and tapped for a reciever sight either so I went with the lyman tang sight. It worked with the factory front sight pretty good. I changed the front sight to a XS post type(.100 wide with a .040 white stripe). The post front sight lets me index elevation more precisely and the white stripe helps windage too. I spent a while developing a load for this gun( cast bullet load) but with my load and these sights I can do 2"- 3 shot groups at 100 yds.....Mike
FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by FOTIS »

pokey wrote:"pre 64 winchester"

what model?
how old?
what condition?

Minty 94 in 32 winchester special made in 1959 (according to win records). Just bought it last week. Will have it soon.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

FOTIS wrote:
pokey wrote:"pre 64 winchester"

what model?
how old?
what condition?

Minty 94 in 32 winchester special made in 1959 (according to win records). Just bought it last week. Will have it soon.
1959 vintage will be factory drilled and tapped for a side mount receiver sight.

Joe
FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by FOTIS »

Thank you all