Ladder Sight Questions - Update Marlin 308 Problem

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Ladder Sight Questions - Update Marlin 308 Problem

Post by Bruce »

I just purchased my first Marlin lever action. I have always gravitated towards the Winchesters, but this new Marlin 308MXLR has been calling to me. I just got it Saturday and have not had the chance to shoot it, but it does handle well and feels very good. The action is one of the best from the box that I have had the opportunity to work.

I like everything about this rifle except for the rear sight. It is the standard configured Marbles type except the leaf blade folds over presumably to allow for the low mounting of a scope. I don't plan on mounting a scope and I have the weird feeling that I will shoulder the gun for the shot of a lifetime and find the leaf blade folded over. It has to go!

I have rifles with peep sights and standard sights, but I have always wanted a ladder type sight. I want one that has a good sight picture when folded down that will work for the 100 yard +- range. For the ladder itself, I would like one that has positive click type adjustments that are repeatable. Preferrably it should have lines for references and no yardage numbers.

Tang type sights get in the way of me carrying the rifle and this Marlin does not have the second hole in the tang for mounting one. I also plan on using the original front sight or replacing it with something similar if a different height is needed.

I am currently looking at some of the Smith Enterprises sights, but would like to get some input and recommendations from those who have used a ladder sight and especially comparisions between the different ones that are available. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Bruce on Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Here's one from Dixie Gun Works, part no. EP2250.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_in ... ts_id=5621
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Bruce,
The only issue with ladder sights, carbine sights really, is theres no elevation adjustment for it when folded down.
I think if I were looking to do what you suggest I'd get the tallest one I could & be prepared to file it down to zero. but then your stuck with a one load gun.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

www.buffaloarms.com has a pretty good selection of ladder sights. If you see something you like there you can call them and get some goods hands on information.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Bruce,

Sounds like you have a really good rifle there. I don't know anything about ladder sights other than I doubt they'd work well with that performance range cartridge.

I do know that some years back I had a Marlin 1894 with the Marlin fold over rear sight and it never moved. There was no problem with it at all. Is the Marbles sight showing a tendency of flipping over already?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have a ladder sight on my Browning 1886 that I am removing, to make room for a Fool Proof receiver sight. I might sell it, at a decent price, cheaper then you can buy new. I might need it if I was to sell the gun, but I don't see that happening, so I will probably be willing to sell it.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Leverdude,

Thanks for that information. I honestly had not thought of or noticed that a ladder sight would lack elevation adjustment in the down position. That kinda kills my desire for one because I will be reloading for this rifle and want some elevation options.

I got to shoot five rounds through her today and had to stop. After each round was fired, it almost took both hands to open the action. I know my way around guns and took note after the first shot to check the brass for pressure signs or scarring from a bad chamber. Nothing was wrong with either. I shot the remaining four rounds and had the same problem. I brought her home and checked everything I could. I cycled loaded ammo and the fired brass through her and I am baffled at the moment as to what is acting up. I must have cycled the lever for over an hour, empty and with the five fired rounds. I have blisters on my hand from so much cycling. BTW, she will feed the fired brass from the magazine w/o any hesitation.

Empty or with live ammo, it is the slickest action you could ask for. With the fired brass, she was pretty rough. The action got better as I cycled the fired brass, but it is still rough. BTW, the cycling of the fired brass has not resulted in the brass being deformed, resized or scarred. If it had, I would probably have been able to find the problem. I did notice a lot of progressive wear (polishing if you will) where the extractor enters the extractor cut in the barrel. I am going to completly disassemble her today and take a critical look at the chamber and the extractor and barrel cut. I should mention that the rifle was thoroughly cleaned, inspected and oiled before the first shot was ever fired. I also note that whatever powder Hornady is using in this round is on the dirty side.

Joe,

I would not say the the leaf is loose or has a tendency to fold over, but it does not take much to move it. I usually carry my rifles in my truck by putting them over in the passenger seat, muzzle down on the floorboard with the rifle resting against the seat. It just happens that the rear sight is right about where the rifle rests against the seat. I am just supicious that it could get folded over and I would not notice it. Other than that, I have no real reson to not like it - I just don't like non necessary moving parts.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Update,

I was at the gunsmiths when he opened this morning. He lightly polished the chamber and found a small burr on the extractor cut. It works like it should now. I honestly could not see evidence of problems with the chamber, but the symptoms were classic of that being the problem.