Reloading - does Tumbling Media 'go bad'...?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Reloading - does Tumbling Media 'go bad'...?

Post by AJMD429 »

Actually, I'd be interested in the different types of case-tumbling media you all use, and what differences you've found - I've heard walnut shells, corncobs, even rice, and with/without all sorts of 'polishing' additives.

Anyhow, when is the media done-for? I've used the same big batch of walnut hulls for hundreds and hundreds of cases, and if there's any less cleaning, it's been such a slow change I don't notice.

I haven't tried Sixgun's recommendation for washing the media (or at least he said you can wash corncob media - dunno about walnut hulls...?), and was trying to decide if it was worth bothering to do so, or do so yet, anyway.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Reloading - does Tumbling Media 'go bad'...?

Post by Ben_Rumson »

No help here.. I'm in the same situation... I've been using the same stuff over & over ...Never with any additive... Have what's left over when I bought a large box to charge the tumbler when I bought it and thought I might need more sooner than later...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

I have found it gets dirty from the crud coming off cases. I just cut several paper towels into several pieces, let the paper towels pick up the dirt. Seems to work well and if necessary you can put some polishing cmpound or sum such in after the paper towel trick. It is usually good for a year or two of frequent use. ATB
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have used both corn cob and walnut media in my vibratory tumbler.
I don't count the number of cases, or loads in the tumbler but after a while the media just gets filthy and worn out.
I tell when by how the cases come out. When new the media leaves them clean and shiny. When it's done for the cases come out mostly clean, but dull.

I've tried the additive sold by Dillon and I've tried the used dryer sheets in my media. Both work for one or two batches but not enough to matter.

My current batch is pretty much done for.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

THE TUMBLING MEDIA WILL BECOME FULL OF DIRT AND THEN IT NEEDS CLEANED OR TOSSED OUT. YOU CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE BY HOW THE MEDIA TUMBLES WHEN CLEAN [ IN A CIRCLE ] OR HOW IT TUMBLES WHEN IT IS FULL OF DIRT [ IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS BOUNCING AROUND ]
I USE CORNCOB IN 50lb BAGS FROM THE BUILDERS SUPPLY WHERE SANDBLASTERS ETC BUY THEIR STUFF. IT IS $20.00 A BAG OR SO. WHEN IT IS DIRTY I TOSS IT IN THE TRASH AND RE-FILL THE TUMBLER WITH NEW 1014[?] GRIT COB AND THEN CHARGE IT WITH AS SQUIRT OR TWO OF DILLON'S TUMBLING POLISH. RUN IT FOR FIVE MINUTES AFTERWARDS TO DISTRIBUTE THE POLISH AMONG THE MEDIA.
SOMETIMES I ALSO MIX LYMAN WALNUT HULLS WITH IT [ 5 [CORNCOB] TO 1[WALNUT HULLS ] ] AS THOSE HULLS ARE ALREADY CHARGED WITH POLISHING COMPOUND AND IT IS THE REAL McCOY I'LL TELL YOU !!!
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I buy Lizzard Litter form PetsMart. This is crushed walnut shells. A large bag lasts a long time.

To clean I toss in a couple of Dryer sheets, you use in the clothes dryer. Each time I use the Vibrator/cleaner. They usually come out almost Black.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Lefty Dude wrote:I buy Lizzard Litter form PetsMart. This is crushed walnut shells. A large bag lasts a long time.
+1, I do the same. Way cheaper than buying name brand media and works great.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Back when I shot IPSC, I used up a lot of media and found that corn cob just doesn't cut it like walnut hulls. They do wear out though. All those little sharp corners wear off and it has to be replaced after about a 100,000 cases. Now days I use the walnut hulls with polish additive for everything, the bulk of my loading is for the 44-40 CAS loads. Since I mostly shoot black, the cases get de-primed and washed before going in the tumbler. Makes it stay a lot cleaner over time. There are industrial supply houses that carry walnut hulls and can sell them to you for a much better price than one of the reloading companies. That's if you have a need for 50 lbs. of media.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

it gets icky
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."