It worked for the Polynesians

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

It worked for the Polynesians

Post by Gobblerforge »

We took another river trip again but this time with a new twist. Having tried to take Miss Frankie with me in the canoe, I learned it was very unstable as she moved around. I had been thinking about this for a while now and decided to try an outrigger. Outstanding. Very stable now without a whole lot of weight. Maybe 20 pounds total addition. It installs in about 3 minutes using two clamps and two telescoping poles. The double poles make it very sturdy and stiff without the weight. We tried to use the tube as a cooler as well but the PVC doesn't insulate well. The ice was gone in an hour or so. Good for water but the pop got warm. Oh well, nice try.
Gobbler
Everything for the trip
Frankie was facinated by the ripples.
and the rocks
Last edited by Gobblerforge on Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Click Click Boom
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: It worked for the Polynesians

Post by Malamute »

Looks good.

I think Ji uses an outrigger for fishing in Hawaii.

I used to take my two Malamutes in the canoe years ago, they did OK. They seemed to get that the canoe was tippy when they moved around, so didnt all that much, just enjoyed the ride, tho one liked to lean over the side and get a drink, and could do it without issue. May have stabilized the canoe some with 100+lb and 135lb dogs aboard.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Well my post got Lost somehow..

Anyway, Ji does have a nice looking araingement. Yours looks fine as well.

A lot of companies are making outriggers for canoes and kayaks. Here in Fla I see people standing up in yaks to fish.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

cool 8)

looks like you need one of these, though. :shock:
http://www.hunterk9.com/site/870877/product/350
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Cool idea, been wondering what to make them out of myself in case i decide to put a sail on mine. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Looks awesome! Now put a small windsurfer sail on it or even a large golf umbrella for fun downwind sails. :wink:
I take mine 5 miles offshore after Ahi (Yellowfin Tuna). I did rig mine with a sail but have not made the time to test her out yet.

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I like the "hidden compartment".

Next time make it big enough to hold a gun and you've got a winner... ;)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Great Idea.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

If you use a fine net (small holes) you can stick some cans and tow them behind to stay cool. Sailing ships used to drop wine bottles in a similar arrangement down 20-30' until they chilled to keep the officer's wine cold at dinner on some naval ships.

You can also tow a small cooler if you trust your knot-tying skills (or use a snaplink and chain) and do more or less the same thing with the entire cooler.

I've paddled sea kayaks and rowboats, never a canoe, but the outrigger would be the way i'd go myself.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Pokey. That looks cool. The wife and I were talking about something like that for Frankie. Thanks.
Ji. That looks stable and smooth. Is it some type of foam or some solid floatation?
If it's hollow, how many beers can you get in it? :lol: Also, Have you ever tried to use the two horizontal supports for light storage? We thought that if I put a platform out there, Frankie would like to ride out there.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

IIRC the 17' Gruman that I had, had a plate on the floor with a small keyhole shaped hole in it that was made for mounting a sail. Came from the factory that way.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

there are some pretty nice sail rigs that are made for canoes and kayaks.
While some require permanent modifications, there are also strap-on rigs that you can travel with and rent your boat.
Any canoe/kayak sail rig that will let you beat and tack (travel upwind) requires an outrigger (for the same reason sailboats have deep keels).
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Clever idea
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Cool!!

What did you use to attach the treated blocks to the PVC? Hard to see in the photo but looks like maybe half of a larger diameter pipe.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

2ndovc wrote:Cool!!

What did you use to attach the treated blocks to the PVC? Hard to see in the photo but looks like maybe half of a larger diameter pipe.

jb 8)
Actually I used another piece of three inch that i cut some quarter or third out of. then by snapping it over another three inch piece, it spread enough so I could screw it to the block with 6 2 1/2" screws. Then I attached the "cap" to the three inch outrigger by pushing down and it snapped right on. Then it was attached with 4 screws in pre drilled holes. It seems very rigid, but I must admit it looks frail to Ji's. At this point I'm satisfied enough with the rig that I may add a second outrigger to ride tandem with the first. Double floatation and double weight. then I'm leaning towards the storage over the water and a life vest for Frankie. I think that is great. Especially for my Buddy. Oh by the way. If you were to use this method, you then have to remove the screws one at a time that hold the "cap" to the tube and shorten them with a grinder or what ever so they go back in the holes but don't protrude inside the tube. If you don't, they could puncture the beer, I mean water bottles. Just sayin'. :wink:
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Gobblerforge wrote: Ji. That looks stable and smooth. Is it some type of foam or some solid floatation?
If it's hollow, how many beers can you get in it? :lol: Also, Have you ever tried to use the two horizontal supports for light storage? We thought that if I put a platform out there, Frankie would like to ride out there.
Gobbler
The guy I bought my Grumman from threw it in no extra charge though it was only the float ('ama) without the arms ('iako) which I made from CPVC pipe with fir closet rods inside for added stiffness and strength. The float is from a OC1 one man outrigger, it's made of fiberglass with a foam core. On a canoe I built about 18 years ago I had both a rack for lashing my spears to when going out diving, and a net trampoline for stowing gear. Main thing it don't get in the way of paddling. I know a few guy that made trampolines which they sewed together from heavy duty shade cloth. Surprising how though they were.

Here a more recent outrigger I made from 4" thin-wall PVC drain pipe which I foam filled. It's on my 11' fiberglass canoe.

Last edited by Ji in Hawaii on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

THAT......... is very cool. I went back and took closer looks at the other pics and saw the CPVC. Great construction talent you have there. Are outriggers commonly used out there?
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Gobblerforge wrote:THAT......... is very cool. I went back and took closer looks at the other pics and saw the CPVC. Great construction talent you have there. Are outriggers commonly used out there?
Gobbler

You see them all the time on the traditional Hawaiian canoes (wa'a), and sometimes on kayaks. Regular North American style canoes are rare here like my Grumman, and Eagle.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

So this time I took the canoe out on the lake to do some tests to see if big waves have an effect and which way was smoothest to let the waves pass without much rocking. I found that the most stable was to let the waves hit the stern and slightly lesser was to hit the waves with the bow. The lenth of the canoe and the outrigger made it much more stable than if the waves hit either side. Then, my old freind, sea sickness came for a short visit. You boat folks that don't get it are blessed. Mind you I only sat rocking back and forth for ten or fifteen minutes to do the wave testing but it was long enough. It took over an hour of being on land for it to start to disipate. Land lover for sure.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom