OT - Which 44 mag handgun would you choose

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Which 44 mag handgun would you choose

Post by kimwcook »

The wife recently had to remodel her office due to some punk(s) turning on a water spigot and putting the hose through the mail slot and into her office. Luckily an LEO found it before it did extensive major damage, but it still did quite a bit of water damage. I've replaced outlets and switches plus helped her move furniture here and there. Along with various other chores. So the wife said I could buy a gun. There in lies the posted question. I've had 44 mags for years and reloaded for it, but don't have one right now. I've had numerous Ruger OM Super Blackhawks and S&W 29's and 629's. I've got brass all over the place so I was thinking I'd like to get another 44 mag. I'd like a double action and have boiled it down to either a Ruger Redhawk or a Smith 29, 629. I wouldn't go any shorter than a 4" bbl. and prefer longer, 6-7". I've never owned a Redhawk and can't recall ever handling one. So I have no experience with the action. S&W's, what can I say. To me they're like the Ferrari of DA revolvers for their smooth action. But, they aren't as robust as the Redhawk. Not interested in SA's, the Super Redhawk or any other brand or model. Why would you buy one over the other. Thanks.
Old Law Dawg
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Which 44 mag handgun would you choose

Post by Pitchy »

I have a older 629 pre lock and it`s a dandy gun, don`t shoot it much and carry a SAA most the time.
Colt DA`s are nice too but spendy and the Redhawks are nice but not as nice as a Smith IMO.

Last edited by Pitchy on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I don't do robust loads - an 8-3/8" Model 29 floats my boat. . :mrgreen:

I'm STILL waiting to get back from a friend the 29-3 I bought new, with factory-milled scope mount grooves in the barrel rib (ala Ruger #1 ), and S&W-supplied Millet rings. :roll: . :roll:

Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

MY ORIGINAL " MOUNTAIN REVOLVER " WOULD DO ME JUST FINE.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

That new Ruger Redhawk with the 4" barrel is what I'd get. It's a packer that can handle anything you load and therefore can handle anything you point it at. With the new Hogue grips it ought to shoot double action great and make a real impression while doing it.

I shot a few of my 44 Magnum double actions a couple weeks ago, which include the list you've given plus another, and the Redhawk, by far, was the best double action shooter. Yes, the 29 was smoother, but recoil recovery was significant. With the weight of the Redhawk, it shot like a 357 Magnum out of a medium framed double action.

The 4" Redhawk is the next on my list. I just need to decide whether to get it in 44 or 45.

Have fun.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Love my Model 29! But, my Super Blackhawk gets more use only because my 29 is an older one in almost new condition. Plus the 8 3/8" barrel makes for a great target revolver but not the best "packin' pistol". It was given to me by an uncle that bought it new in the Sixties and only fired about a half a box of shells through it.

I have been wanting one in stainless with a 4" barrel for some time. I like the Redhawk but I've always been an S&W guy.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I'd agree with most on here,the S&W 29/629 is great.(I love my 6" SS 629-3)
It's a sexy gun :lol: and it's quite small size wise for what is does.

If you want to shoot HOT loads then go for the Ruger Redhawk.

Also as far as absorbing recoil by far the best .44 I have ever had was a Ruger Super Blackhawk fitted with Herrett target grips.
No matter how stout that gun just rolled back a tad and muzzle lifted some.
The 629 comes back sharp and hard even with 300gr mid-level loads being much more uncomfortable in that respect.
But again don't get me wrong,I love the Smith,and if I got one it would be the 6"
Whatever you get,good luck!
Last edited by madman4570 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

You know, I'm not a big S&W fan because of the way they fit and feel to me. On the other hand, the Ruger Redhawk doesn't really agree with me with the factory grips and I find it is harder to aim in for more than a few seconds due to weight and balance. If I were not going to use/need heavy-heavy loads I'd go with a S&W 6" bbl.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I personally carry the S&W 629, 3 inch ported with high vis sights. Its called the Trail Boss. Changed out grips for this round butt pistol to stag grips. fits my hand perfectly and carries like a dream in a Galco holster. I stoke it with factory Buffalo Bore personal defense ammo when carrying it as a CCW. I use various other ammo for field use including shot shells, garret ammo and deer grenades from Buffalo Bore. Smith makes great double action pistols. the mountain gun would be my next choice. Ruger redhawks in 5 1 /2 inch barrel would be my next choice.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

I've got an old model Super Blackhawk that's been cut down to 5'' and it's my favorite 44 Mag of all time. But since you said you don't want a single action....

I'd have to vote for the Ruger Redhawk. I really don't think you'll be disappointed. And I do believe it is a much more robust platform than the S&W, although I've got to admit that the pre-lock 629 is a fine looking weapon.

Rob
NRA
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

although I've got to admit that the pre-lock 629 is a fine looking weapon.
Thanks, it is a nice gun one of my favorites but i`m such a SSA nut it don`t get used much.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have enough experience with N Frame S&Ws to know I do not ever want another one.
Were I to purchase a .44 Magnum revolver I would get a 4" Ruger Redhawk and a set of gripy stock handles that fit me. And never look back.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Law Dawg,
I don't shoot it much but when I do, it shoots like a rifle. As they are out of print, you would have to hit the used/NOS market. Colt Anaconda Realtree. Its the only scoped handgun I have.

You sure can't go wrong with any of the post-Bangor Punta Smith & Wessons. Just pick the style and barrel length that suits you...............then "go to town" :D Remember, none of us are gettin' any younger and you can't take that wheelbarrow full of cash with 'ya. :D ------------Sixgun

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Well guys and gals I've done commited to a S&W 29 6". Really the only reason I contemplated the Redhawk was for stout loads, but I have a FA 454 for that. And not ever handling a Redhawk I didn't feel comfortable about buying one and then finding it didn't fit me. I've had a number of 29's and foolishly let them get away. My only concern with the 29 is it's long term durability. I mentioned that once on the old sixgun site and Mr. Taffin about tore me a new one about them not being that wimpy. I don't plan on using full house loads all the time and honestly most of the time they'll be more along the lines of between 44 Spl and low mag. Anyway the deed is done and I'll post some pics as soon as I get it. Thanks for everyone's replies.
Old Law Dawg
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

kimwcook wrote:Well guys and gals I've done commited to a S&W 29 6". Really the only reason I contemplated the Redhawk was for stout loads, but I have a FA 454 for that. And not ever handling a Redhawk I didn't feel comfortable about buying one and then finding it didn't fit me. I've had a number of 29's and foolishly let them get away. My only concern with the 29 is it's long term durability. I mentioned that once on the old sixgun site and Mr. Taffin about tore me a new one about them not being that wimpy. I don't plan on using full house loads all the time and honestly most of the time they'll be more along the lines of between 44 Spl and low mag. Anyway the deed is done and I'll post some pics as soon as I get it. Thanks for everyone's replies.
OKAY......SO THEN....WHY DID YOU ASK US ???
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

Sixgun, that's amazing! I've never seen one like that before!

Rob
NRA
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I like em both...but I picked the S&W 629 Classic 6" SS and hogue grips...
and use light loads for plinking...like a 44 spl...
For defense and hunting, loads are not that hot because i want
quick target aquisition for the follow up shot .....if needed...

great gun...very comfortable to shoot...and very accurate....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Heres my RedHawk. Still new to me, and still gettin use to it. I killed some Pop cans with it this past weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Not what you were looking for but what I have: Taurus model 44 in stainless steel with factory ported 6.5" barrel. I must have had this gun for 10 years now, and very happy with it. In design it's basically a beefed up version of a model 629 so can handle hot loads well. It has very nice smooth trigger both in SA & DA, and the well designed factory grip combined with the porting makes this gun almost a pu$$y cat to shoot. :wink:

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

First choice (and in .45 Colt, my first choice for the generic "if I only had one gun..." question) would be the Ruger Redhawk:

If I couldn't have a Redhawk, and could only have one .44 Mag, I'd be tempted to take the S&W 29, because it is just so "classic" and aesthetically perfect. I don't like the full-underlug ones, or the short-barrel ones, but they are THE .44 Magnum in many ways. That said, I've never owned one (shot plenty of 'borrowed' ones), and don't think they are as 'rugged' as I'd like (yeah, I know I shouldn't use them as boat-anchors or to drive nails with... :oops: )

I'd actually prefer the Taurus (I'll admit, I still suffer from Bangor-Punta prejudice), if it weren't for the full-underlug.

If I already had a Redhawk (thankfully I do), I'd consider a Super-Blackhawk with Bisley grips as my 'next' one. I've got a Super-Blackhawk, but alas, not a 'Bisley' one, so it is a pain to shoot for long, skinny, hands like mine. I'd order one now, but they have that full-rib thing, and I dislike the full-rib as much as the full-underlug.
I like the lines of the 'regular' model, but the grips of the 'Bisley Hunter' one...
ImageImage

If I thought CCW would be a potential, I'd stick with the DA revolvers, and 6" or less (though when I had to work as a fill-in pharmacist in high-crime area 24-hour pharmacies, I'd easily conceal a 7-1/2" Super Blackhawk :shock: under my cute little pharmacist coat, even when working in anti-gun Ohio where ALL CCW was at the time "illegal" - even though the law said otherwise... :mrgreen: ).
Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Not sure why you don't have any interest in single actions or other brands BUT... The Super Blackhawk is a great 44 Mag hunting revolver and if you look on the used market (and maybe new; CZ) the Dan Wesson revolvers are very accurate shooters.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Terry Murbach wrote:OKAY......SO THEN....WHY DID YOU ASK US ???
To spark debate. I also had a good deal jump up and didn't want miss it.
damienph wrote:Not sure why you don't have any interest in single actions or other brands BUT... The Super Blackhawk is a great 44 Mag hunting revolver and if you look on the used market (and maybe new; CZ) the Dan Wesson revolvers are very accurate shooters.
I love single actions and have and have had numerous SA's, but I don't have a single big bore DA at the moment (shortly to be remedied). The Super Blackhawk with heavy loads pound the stuff out of my hands. I changed the stock grips for Pachmayr's every time. As far as a hunting revolver I've got my FA 83 in 454 Casull for that. I had a Dan Wesson 357 with three interchangeable bbl.'s years ago. One of the most accurate revolvers I ever had, but I couldn't stand the blowby between the barrel tube and outer sleeve. So I'd tear it down to clean after shooting it and of course that upset my sights and I'd have to re-sight it and the whole vicious circle started over. Drove me nuts (I know, short trip).
Old Law Dawg
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I had a M29 at one time. Nice gun but I'm partial to my Ruger SBH's. My Hunter model in particular is my favorite, but I also like my 5 1/2" carrying model as well.

NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I actually spent money on a S&W 629, a Contender 10" barrel and a 4" Ruger Redhawk. The shop has a used 4" Redhawk that is nicer than mine! I understand they are difficult to find (but don't know if that's hype or not). I've shot the Super Blackhawk. My take is that you should get what you like so long as it is a quality gun.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

I recently acquired a really fine condition 30 year old, P&R, 4" 629 (no dash). This replaces a 29-2 I bought sometime around 1979 and which was a faithful companion for more than 20 years. It got sold along with many other of my guns when I was starting a business and needed capital. As with most of us, I always regretted selling that sweet N frame but never replaced it until this 629 unexpectedly came along. Have had a 5 1/2" Redhawk (my second favorite .44 Rem mag) and 7 1/2" and 5 1/2" Super Blackhawks. For some reason I just never warmed up the the single action Rugers. As testament to my love of N frame Smiths, I vow this 629 will be with me until the day my lights are permanently extinguished.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Mitch1352
Levergunner

Post by Mitch1352 »

I found a Redhawk that was in ok shape and sent it to Mr. Bowen for his Kodiak Alpine treatment. He returned to me a seriously neat squarebutt that, I think, actually makes the Redhawk look finished. Plus, it has a lanyard loop, so when the zombies come, I am ready. 8)
I can handload for it, so anything that I want to make for it will do, I suppose, but atomic handloads aren't my thing. Anything sensible will do whatever I need. It is a 'Tonka-truck Mountain Gun'.
Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I've had a small handfull of the Smith 29's over the years. Never had any trouble from them, but did replace a hand once or twice, no big deal. The 4" 29 I've had longest has had thousands of rounds through it, mostly 9grs Unique with the 250 gr Lyman/Keith bullet, which runs somewhere around 1000 fps or so. Plenty for most things unless you're hanging around in grizzly country, and still at that, I'd rather have that gun and load than anything smaller calibered. That load shoots noticably flatter @ 300 yards than the 44 spl loads, and makes hitting much easier, tho not as flat as the full power stuff. Recoil and muzzle blast are very comfortable compared to full power magnum loads.

The 29's are great carry guns.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Malamute, that is fine looking M29. There is nothing better looking than a fine firearm that's seen lots of use.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:Not what you were looking for but what I have: Taurus model 44 in stainless steel with factory ported 6.5" barrel. I must have had this gun for 10 years now, and very happy with it. In design it's basically a beefed up version of a model 629 so can handle hot loads well. It has very nice smooth trigger both in SA & DA, and the well designed factory grip combined with the porting makes this gun almost a pu$$y cat to shoot. :wink:
I've one of these as well and feel the same way. It is my "on the spot" "snatch, travel, and go hunting handgun."
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I'm not terribly fond of the double action trigger pull on the few Redhawks I've shot. It's a personal choice but I'd go with a 29. Can't beat the old N frame. Just my opinion,

Eric
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Malamute, I have said it before and will repeat it now, that looks like a perfect rendition of the tool that the M-29 is meant to be. Love the leather rig, your choice of loads, and the grips on that 29. What version 29 is it? looks great!!!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

rjohns94 wrote:Malamute, I have said it before and will repeat it now, that looks like a perfect rendition of the tool that the M-29 is meant to be. Love the leather rig, your choice of loads, and the grips on that 29. What version 29 is it? looks great!!!
+1 on everything that rjohns wrote.

Rob
NRA
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jerry b »

Mumble, mumble.
Post deleted.
Last edited by jerry b on Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I've got a 4" 629 that was made very shortly after they introduced the lock . And regardless of the lock or not I like it !

I also have a circa 1957 Ruger Blackhwak Flattop with a 6 1/2" barrel that does very nicely also !

"If" I ever see need for another 44 MAG wheelgun it'll most likely be a 7 1/2" Super Redhawk or a 8 3/8" 629 . Whichever will get scoped PDQ !

I have a friend that has a pretty nice pre lock 629 8 3/8" I'm just waiting for him to wanna sell !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

rjohns94 wrote:Malamute, I have said it before and will repeat it now, that looks like a perfect rendition of the tool that the M-29 is meant to be. Love the leather rig, your choice of loads, and the grips on that 29. What version 29 is it? looks great!!!
Mike, I believe it's a -2. I bought it new in the early 80's. The holster was made by a friend to my order, it's sort of a hybrid of several I liked. Basically a Threepersons, but with the snap where I can reach it with my trigger finger with my hand in a shooting grip. Drawing that way, I've been able to draw and fire a 6 1/2" 29, holding an empty can on the back of my hand at shoulder level, then going for the gun and firing before the can hit the ground. Very quick and very secure. Most Threepersons or "regular snap strap" type holsters seem to have the snap much lower, making it very much slower to run. Someone may be able to run that type quickly, but I never have been able to, nor have the thumbsnaps been as fast for me, and they often come unsnapped when carrying in my experience (had probably 5 or so decent quality makers holsters do this). This style was fast the first time I tried it. The belt is a Lawrence, I bought it at Frontier gun shop in Fairbanks when they went out of business in the early 90's I believe.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

woods-walker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by woods-walker »

I think it "depends" on what is your primary intended purpose for the handgun. I like the Smith 29's and 629's as well as the Ruger old model Flattop if we are restricted to .44 magnums. Probably a S&W Mountain Gun would suit me just fine in my "neck of the woods" for a revolver.

The rig shown by Malamute looks ideal.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I'd also go with the 29 or 629. The seem to recoil worse with hot loads and they aren't as heavily built as the Rugers, but the actions are great. I have a 629 Classic that I'll keep till I croak.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Terry Murbach wrote:MY ORIGINAL " MOUNTAIN REVOLVER " WOULD DO ME JUST FINE.
If I was looking for a .44, that would be my first choice.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

Terry Murbach wrote:MY ORIGINAL " MOUNTAIN REVOLVER " WOULD DO ME JUST FINE.
I think so, too.

I had a 8 3/8 S&W M29-2 that my daughter talked me out of on her 36th birthday after I had a couple fine Bourbon drinks that she had mixed, especially for me....
I carry the 4" Mountain Gun when I'm up at my little Lake Tahoe cabin, hiking on the local National Forest trails.
otteray
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Everyone has their favorites and that is the fun of having choices. I love old S&W 29's and Super BH's and all mine have short barrels. I choose short barrels because of the ease of carry and I don't need a longer sight radius because my short guns are for short shots. Truthfully, most of us don't shoot heavy loads all the time, but if I had to choose one 44 mag handgun to last and digest heavy loads I would have to go with a Redhawk. I have a 5 1/2" and I am looking for a 4".

Currently my favorite loads are 44 specials and that makes the older 29's my favorite mostly because I love "blue" S&W's. All are great guns and would all last a life time with proper care so why not have one of each.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

otteray wrote: I had a 8 3/8 S&W M29-2 that my daughter talked me out of on her 36th birthday after I had a couple fine Bourbon drinks that she had mixed, especially for me....
Sounds like Daughter had a plan going into those drinks....... :mrgreen:

I'm not a double action guy, have a couple 24's that haven't been shot in a decade :shock: Have a 1/2 dozen Anacondas that haven't seen the light of day since the '90's.

Give me a Ruger Flattop anyday.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

M 29, 4" bbl.

Load it down somewhat and use some speed strips for reloads.

How about a 200 grs Round with Flat as bullet?

Or one of those HP boolit moulds?

I would use Unique or N 340 or in this burning speed league.

But I would have some really heavy hitters with me, for the lone Brownie attacking in the Middle of Europe or for shooting down a plane with Terrorists ...

;-)

Hermann
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I have S-W,s and Rugers. They're both fine revolvers and I'm not going to get into the weak 29's and 629's because I don't think they are. If I was to start over now and have just one it would be a 4 or 5 1/2 inch Redhawk.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here is the one I kept out of 4 Smiths and Rugers.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

I recently decided to find a 44 mag handgun since I haven't owned one for 10 years or so. I went with the Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley and boy am I glad I did. That is one fine handgun, handles recoil very well and has the most pleasing lines of any single action revolver. Very accurate too.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Well, just got my new to me S&W 29. She's not new, but it's in pretty good shape. If work and life will just slow down a bit I'll get to the range and I'll post a report. It'll take a couple of years before it looks like Malamute's. I picked up a Hogue monogrip for it and will be replacing the wooden grips soon. Don't know if I'll like the Hogue's because they're the ones with the finger notches, but we'll see. Thanks for everyone's input.

Old Law Dawg
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

SWEET :mrgreen:
Mike Johnson,

Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Not too shabby. :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Dirty Harry lives! :D

Sharp looking sixgun!

Have fun

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

If you dont take to the Hogues, let me know, I'll tell you what I do to most of my factory Smith grips to make them more comfortable. Most are way to square feeling, and don't fit the frame well at the back where you take the recoil. A little work with a fine file and sandpaper can do wonders. Up until the 70's most factory Smith grips had a very good feel, without squarish edges on the grips. I just duplicated that feel as best I could.