Almost OT: Crossing a bottomless bog

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Almost OT: Crossing a bottomless bog

Post by KirkD »

I figured some of you folks would enjoy this. Today, I came across an old photo, taken about 17 years ago, of our family heading into a remote wilderness lake via a bottomless bog. There were two ways into the lake. The first was to bust our way through a half mile of crisscrossed fallen trees due to a forest fire some years earlier, and new underbrush, thick as hair on a dog's back. I did that the first year with a canoe on my head and decided there must be an easier way in.

The 'easier' way was to take the canoes in on a very shallow (a few inches) stream that ran a considerable way through a bottomless bog. For a good chunk of the way, the stream was too shallow to allow us to sit in the canoes and paddle or push our way along. The bog, however, had the consistency of a gigantic pudding .... a thick, soupy mix of liquified peat and black water from the tannic acid. If you stepped out of the canoe in many places, you would simply disappear. If you found 'solid' ground, it would undulate under your feet, suggesting it was floating on a soup underneath. The solution was for all of us to put on life preservers and, while hanging on to the canoe for support, feeling around with our feet or paddles to try to find hummocks or something semi-solid under the ooze to push against. In this manner, we slowly made our way through the bog. We did this a few years in a row and got to be pretty good at it, although there were moments when we would be almost helpless with laughter. If anyone saw us, they would have thought the whole family had lost our minds, laughing uncontrollably in the middle of a very large bog, with the nearest solid ground at least 100 yards on either side. Those were great times. Few things have brought our family closer together than our two decades of heading into the remote wilderness.

In the photo below, you can see a light blue object in front of my wife. That is a bucket-type car seat containing our oldest daughter, Sarah, aged 3 months at that time. Sarah had a tiny life preserver on and my wife's number one priority if the canoe ever went over was to attend to the baby. (Sarah is the one in the figure skating video I posted last spring, taken 17 years later). Our four sons are also in this photo, a second daughter was not yet born. In the second canoe, you will see a gun case containing a Marlin 94 44 Mag levergun, which is why I labeled this post only 'almost OT'. :) I sold the little carbine about a dozen years ago and now use a 30-30 carbine for my wilderness gun.

The effort was worth it. The lake was loaded with Northern Pike. I had to make a rule for the kids that they were only allowed to use lures with a single barbless hook, as we were just catching way too many fish and it was a pain to be constantly unhooking them.

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Hobie

Re: Almost OT: Crossing a bottomless bog

Post by Hobie »

:!:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

A great story Kirk, family memories forever. This spring I gave my canoe to my son. I bought it in the spring 0f 1977. He is enjoying it with the kids.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Kirk, you're the man and you're family are great to accompany you on those excursions.
Old Law Dawg
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

kimwcook wrote:Kirk, you're the man and you're family are great to accompany you on those excursions.
Well, I have to confess that it was my wife who talked me into these wilderness excursions. It took her a couple years to persuade me, as I had grown up swatting Mosquitos. After our first trip, however, I was a believer.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

What a great time that must have been for you and your family. Sometimes our wives know best. Just don't let 'em know how often! :shock:
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Definitely some memorable times, but that wobbly-underfoot bog thing would give me the creeps...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Fishing in 1983 or 1984, Sierra Nevadas at a lake called inventively "intake 2" (small feeder lake to a bigger one) my brother and I with my dad (around 6 and 8 respectively, dad was in his mid 30s) caught 42 trout in 3 days. They'd stocked it a few months before and that lake was more or less a 'kindergarten" to get some trout bigger before they went to the larger lake.

All of them were legal size, and we literally caught them as fast as we could cast at some points during those days.

No bog wading, but it did take a 4X4 to get there and we camped. :)
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

Great story, great pics.

I'm not familiar with the Northern Pikes--you just release those?

Rob
NRA
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

that's the real quicksand, unlike in the movies.
We of course get a lot of that wading the TX coast, especially along oyster reefs.

The Nueces River in west Texas has one of the most insidious quicksand types I've ever seen. The river is gin-clear, and most of the rock is of course limestone. On the outsides of bends, you can look down and see a solid white shelf maybe knee-deep. Flagstone? But if you step on it, it's a white suspended silt, and you're in over your head.

Great indian story that goes with this bluff, btw:
http://www.chalkbluffpark.com/history1.html
(make sure you click on more until you get to the end)
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

AJMD429 wrote:... that wobbly-underfoot bog thing would give me the creeps...
Yeah, those bottomless bogs can be psychologically unnerving, and perhaps for good reason. If one treats them like land that one can walk across, they can be dangerous. If, however, one treats them as a muddy lake with large mats of vegetation floating on them, and everyone is securely buckled in to their pfd's, then they can be safely traversed. Still, there are the old stories like Beowulf, and the feeling when you are floating up to your pits in soup that something big is going to grab your feet. Nothing big could live in that soup, however, and one has to tell oneself that from time to time.

Oregon73, here is what a Northern Pike looks like. I do not know who the fellow in the photo is, the biggest one I've ever landed was only 36 & 1/4".

bdhold

Post by bdhold »

sure that's not a 'gator?
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

They have teeth almost like a gator and I've heard when they get big they'll eat birds.
Old Law Dawg
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Memories that the family will never forget. :D
"That'll Be The Day"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

WOW !!!! :shock: :) :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

KirkD wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:Oregon73, here is what a Northern Pike looks like. I do not know who the fellow in the photo is, the biggest one I've ever landed was only 36 & 1/4".

Dang--that's a big one! Looks like they'd fight pretty good, once hooked.

Rob
NRA
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Your family is the tops Kirk, bravo Sir.

N 8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:Definitely some memorable times, but that wobbly-underfoot bog thing would give me the creeps...
If you want to visit one, there is one up near Valpo in the Dunes/Lakeshore area...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!