OT - Striper catch on Lake Texhoma

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Striper catch on Lake Texhoma

Post by crs »

This Wednesday, Joe, Brandon, Troupe and I had our first guided striper fishing trip on Lake Texhoma. We were on the lake by 6 AM and used several different fishing techniques as the day progressed and when we quit the lake at 11:30, we had 25 nice fish in the cooler as seen below at the guides boat dock, before he fileted and bagged them for us.
Guide, Mike Haddock, with first fish of the day. Note how fat and healthy they were.

My wife even fried up a mess of the filets for supper that night and they tasted a lot like crappie filets, which means they were delicious
Last edited by crs on Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Striper catch on Lake Texhoma

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Double Double Drool.. 8) 8)
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

You all slayed em! Great day!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Nice going! CRS what did you catch em on?
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Very Cool! 8) 8) 8)
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Octagon,
We used only two lure types. When they were feeding on or near the surface, we cast a white rubbery sinking lure whose tail wiggled when retrieved. When retrieved fast it was never far below the surface, but when allowed to sink a few feet and retrieved more slowly, it ran a few feet below the surface.

The other lure was a flourescent green slab sided lure that was weighted and sank very rapidly. This was very effective when used two ways:
1. Let it sink straight down to 25-35 feet and the crank up as fast as possible(made it wiggle wildly) through the level where the stripers were. We did this early before the sun rose very high.
2. After 9 am and it began to really heat up, we moved to some underwater flats where we would locate fish at 20 -to 35 feet and then drift over them. All fishermen faced into the breeze and lowered the slabs to the bottom, cranked up a foot or two, and jigged the slabs by raising the rod tip from the water to above head high and then letting the slab drop down again. Using this method, we often had 2 or three fish on at the same time and the guide was busy netting fish untill we drifted off the school of fish. He would then start the moter and move upwind of another school of fish and repeat the drift.

By 11 am it was really hot, 100 degrees, and the fish cooler was almost full so we made a couple more drifts and called it a day. :)
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Congrats !

In Virginia you can go after land locked Stripers like you guys have or you can go on the Bay for Rock Fish which are stripers in salt water !

I have always wanted a 40+ pound Striper/Rock Fish from the Chesapeake Bay !

But about the only logical way to do it there is troll in December and January . And those are hunting months and generally to cold to be out on the water !

So hence I have never gotten into a 40 pound or better Striper/Rock Fish !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

WOW,, looks like everyone had a good time with lots of fish. Congratulations to all.
Ricky

DWWC
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

That first kind of lure you used sounds about like the kind that massacres white bass and smallmouths.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Thanks for the info CRS. I have thought about going for some stripers at Canyon Lake, but I am mostly a river guy, fishing from a Kayak with my Boy (9). We killed em (bass) on Wednesday and caught 12 fish in 100 min. including a nice 2.5 pounder on ultra light tackle - we were in the truck headed out for breakfast by 9 am.