OT - went fishing ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

OT - went fishing ...

Post by rjohns94 »

with my long bow. Took the advice of some here, decided to beat the heat and go wading with my longbow and see if I could stick a few carp. Spent a couple of hours at a near by lake. Saw kingfishers, Geese, teal, blue herons, egrets, and ospreys. I spent the first hour taking longer shots from shore and had zipoooo luck. Shots were pretty much on the mark but lacked power after 25 yards. On some shots, all the bow fishing line was used on the shot and the arrow just never made it to the fish.

Had to change tactics so the last hour I waded and wound up with three nice carp.

this one was the first and the largest:

this second one was the longest shot:

and this one as the light was fading:

Bow is a Wes Wallace Custom takedown Longbow, Bamboo, 64# at my draw length. I use a solid aluminum arrow with a muzzy point system and cable slide on the arrow.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - went fishing ...

Post by adirondakjack »

Cool! Does a body good to get out on/in the water.

My dad used to bow fish with a recurve back in the sixties. He had a 12 ft aluminum boat and a 5 horse "Johnson Sea Horse" motor from god knows when (It was green, and kinda rounded shape like a 50's vintage toaster). He'd drift the shallows of the Mohawk River near Amsterdam, NY, standing on a plywood platform stretched between the seats.. I remember a few BIG carp he shot with the bow. Smaller ones he'd bring to a fellow who ran a kosher grocery, as the old guy loved carp but was too lame to fish....
Certified gun nut
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Friend of mine in Illinois catches a lot of carp on limb lines along river bank. He fillets them, then pickles the fillets. The pickling process gets rid of all those tiny bones carp have and you can eat them right from the jar or even roll them in flour and flash fry them, they make for some very tasty eating. He will usually pull out a jar when I visit and we have pickled carp and a cold beer, very tasty in summer time.
UNITE
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Very nice bow Mike :mrgreen:
One thing for sure----In real tough times(you aren't going hungry)
Nice shooting!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

That sounds like a great trip and time well spent!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool Mike!