Quick value Question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Quick value Question

Post by jfwlb »

Here's the story:

I have a line on a Marlin 1892 in .32WRF

The gut wants $750 for it. It looks to be in "OK" shape, the metal is a pretty uniform brown in color, and the wood is pretty dark, but it looks original. I did not get a chance to look at the bore, but will do that tomorrow. I cycled the action, and it was very smooth and a crisp trigger. There is zero rust that I could find.

My questions are:

1. Is this a good deal if it has a good bore?

2. How hard is it to get the .32 rimfire ammo and price?

3. Anything I should look for, or lookout for?

Based on the feedback here, I will go and buy it tomorrow. It is pretty rare to see antique leverguns in my neck of the woods. I tried finding a comparable one on the auction sites I know of(gunbroker, auctionarms,gunsamerica) and the only one I could find was $450 for a parts gun only.

Thanks in Advance
John
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Navy Arms carries the .32RF. "OK" quality-wise at best. These were also available wirh a centerfire firing pin for .32 S&W (IIRC, marlinman99 will know for sure).

AFA the rifle, I had one. The mag tube wouldn't stay in and the carrier needed work. Sold it at a loss after trying many different things and I never could make it work right.

Ah, the joys of 100+ year old weapons...:lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jfwlb »

Thanks for the info awp101

By any chance do you know if the problems you had with yours are commonplace and also is there a way to check for these problems without loading and firing the weapon?

John
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Killer Kanuck »

I think Wisner's has centerfire firing pins for about $20 or so. Just swap out the RF pin for it and you can shoot 32 Short Colt or 32 Long Colt.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

IMHO I think that is a little to high. The rifle as you described goes for around 500.00 here in Texas.
"That'll Be The Day"
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jfwlb »

Thanks Killer Kanuck, that's good info!

rangerider7, thanks for that also, I'll keep it in mind and see if he will go any lower.

Thanks again

John