Two new leverguns in 22LR: Henry vs Mossberg

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Two new leverguns in 22LR: Henry vs Mossberg

Post by t.r. »

These carbines share similar features and made in USA. The Henry costs about $100. less than Mossberg.

Please help me decide which to purchase? My focus is plinking, squirrel & small game hunting.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Two new leverguns in 22LR: Henry vs Mossberg

Post by Bob Winchester »

I don't think Mossberg makes a lever action, so I'd say go with the Henry! :D
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

The Henry is a good little rifle, you'll be happy.

That is, unless you can find a nice pre-1988 Marlin 39A. :D
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have not seen the Mossberg .22 Lever Action but the Henry is a good, smooth little gun with excellent factory back up if required.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

http://www.mossberg.com/products/defaul ... n=products It's the 464 chambered for .22 lr. No recent reports on the Mossberg, but the Henry continually gets good reviews...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

When it comes to .22 LR leverguns, I really LOVE my Ruger 96, which they no longer make. If it comes time to get another 'backup' .22 LR levergun though, it will likely be the Henry.

Note that the 'octagonal' fancier-grade Henry .22 LR's have a different and better front magazine-tube hanger.

Rossi is also coming out with what I'm assuming is a clone of the Winchester 9422, but haven't seen one yet. It ought to be a nice little levergun, too.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

AJMD429 wrote: Rossi is also coming out with what I'm assuming is a clone of the Winchester 9422, but haven't seen one yet. It ought to be a nice little levergun, too.
Do you have links to this new product?
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Here's a bad review of the Henry. The polished brass on those models is coated with a clear coat that will wear or chip off in time. Then they look bad and need to be striped. I'm not too sure how, but if you use the gun very much it will begin. I've seen a poly coat on polished aluminum motorcycle parts and it was a royal pain to strip and polish them up to look like new again.

The little levers gun do operate and shoot perfect though.

Owen
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

I have seen pictures of the brass frame Henry 22’s but have never actually seen one.
My understanding is you can buy decorative covers from Henry, some with engraving.
Slim
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I love my Henry .22 levergun, my kids love their Henry .22 leverguns. Did I tell you I love my Henry .22 levergun? Oh yeah, and I love my Henry .22 levergun too!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

william iorg wrote:I have seen pictures of the brass frame Henry 22’s but have never actually seen one.
My understanding is you can buy decorative covers from Henry, some with engraving.
I have seen one of these made up for a high school graduation presention suitably engraved, and another for a retiring Deputy Sheriff. They both looked great.
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

Bought both grand kids the golden boys and then the got the engraved covers. The guns work great, so smooth and accurate. The only problem is that my son has now given me another grandson and another one on the way. I wish I could get a break for buying in quantiy :)
when your enemy is within range so are you
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Don't know about the Mossberg 464 in .22lr, but the 464 in .30-30 has been problematic. I am plus one with 86er on the Henry, I love my Henry Lever Carbine in .22lr. I have not missed a squirrel yet at 40 yds or under and that is pretty good for an old blind man. Get a Henry, you will not be sorry. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Regarding the 9422 references, I do not have the link handy but the Rossi is based on their 92 model.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Here's another vote for a pre-safety Marlin 39 of some sort, or a Winchester 9422. People I trust like the Henry, but I have no experience with them. I don't trust Mossberg anymore, not the new ones.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I'd get the Henry. The basic design (Erma .22) has been around for years and is well refined by Henry. Besides, that 464/22 is ugly as a mud fence.

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg ... /43000.jpg
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I'd take the Henry over the Mossy just because I HATE tang safeties, and the Henry has a good old fashioned halfcock. But besides that my Henry was smooth as silk to operate, and fed shorts, and long rifle ammo no problem, and was very accurate too. Receiver not steel but neither is a 10/22's another great 22RF rifle.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bob Winchester wrote:
AJMD429 wrote: Rossi is also coming out with what I'm assuming is a clone of the Winchester 9422, but haven't seen one yet. It ought to be a nice little levergun, too.
Do you have links to this new product?
There is a link on this forum - search for "new Rossi .22LR" or something like that. I did see it in their on-line catalog, but don't have the link handy.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

The Henry .22 can be had with steel frame rather than the brass frame.These are really slick actions and a very accurate rifle.I would take the Henry any day over the Mossberg OR the Marlin Model 39.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

The Henry in a steel frame. my buddy bought one from walmart for a little over $200.00. We were just shooting it just yesterday. It is smooth as butter, very accurate and just a blast too shoot. One piece of advice though, NO hollow points, tends to jam when trying to cycle in receiver, never missed a beat on the regular round nosed ammo. I'm thinking of selling my remington semi-auto to pay for one of the henry's.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Henery makes the "Golden Boy" which id a brass colored .22 lever that weighs 6 3/4 lbs. Henry also makes the H001, a steel frame .22 lever (no brass plating to peel) that weighs 5 1/4 lbs. There is an H001 on my bucket list...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

mikld wrote:Henery makes the "Golden Boy" which id a brass colored .22 lever that weighs 6 3/4 lbs. Henry also makes the H001, a steel frame .22 lever (no brass plating to peel) that weighs 5 1/4 lbs. There is an H001 on my bucket list...

Don't think the H001 is steel. I believe it is some kind of zinc alloy that is painted black. Look around for a used Winchester 9422 that has a real all-steel receiver.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I have the Henry large loop .22, it has turned into my favorite lever gun. I'm like Joe, I love my Henry .22.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I ended up buying a second hand Henry because of the many positive replies to my original question. Mossberg's 22 is not available for handling at any of the local shops; I'd have to order a new one and hope for the best.

I'll post photos of my "new" carbine before long.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
PMWIZARD
Levergunner

Post by PMWIZARD »

I also bought a used Henry H001 and love the rifle. A lot of fun to shoot and as accurate a rifle that I will ever need. More fun to shoot than my AR's.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:D Love my Henry. I have the "T" model with the octagon barrel. One of the smoothest and most accurate rimfires I've ever shot out of the box.

My vote is Henry, take the $100 you save and buy ammo. :D

Have fun, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, both the Henry H001, H001T, and Golden Boys have steel receivers covered by a colored alloy receiver cover very similar to the Mossberg's.

The GB is plated with Brasslite, and the others with a blue-black paint, which is easily stripped for a silver, pewter or CCH look, with appropriate treatments.

The GB had MUCH more drop to the buttstock than any of the other Henry's or the Mossberg.

Standard Henry's have round bbls, Frontiers & GB's have octagon, Mossbergs round.

Henry's have no lawyer safeties, the Mossberg a tang safety.

The Mossberg rear sight is a stamped sheet metal thing, the Henry's carry normal longleaf sight w/step elevators.

Last Christmas, I examined a Mossberg with an eye to adding one to my amalgamation of .22 leverguns (I have Marlin, Winchester, Browning & Henry's already), but passed on it @ the same street price as a Henry.
There was no comparison, IMHO.

Besides which, I KNOW Henry stands behind their guns better than every other gun company I've had to deal with in the last 50 years.

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

rossim92 wrote:The Henry in a steel frame. my buddy bought one from walmart for a little over $200.00. We were just shooting it just yesterday. It is smooth as butter, very accurate and just a blast too shoot. One piece of advice though, NO hollow points, tends to jam when trying to cycle in receiver, never missed a beat on the regular round nosed ammo. I'm thinking of selling my remington semi-auto to pay for one of the henry's.
I've got the base model Henry (H001) and it like all Henry 22s has an alloy receiver cover that's painted. They also come with real walnut stocks vs the birch ones other companies use. Its a fun little gun, smooth as butter and surprisingly accurate to boot. The Henry Frontier (H001T) is the same gun but with a longer octagon barrel and better sights. Henry also makes a Golden Boy (H004) which is a different rifle as it has a brass like cover but a different shaped receiver with a more pronounced drop at the comb plus the same barrel and sights as the H001T.

Henry's are great little plinkers and hunters which will last a long, long time but they are not heirloom firearms because they're not all steel. If you want a beautiful heirloom and arguably the best lever 22, I'd suggest the Brown BL-22 series. However, if you want a fun 22 that won't cost you a ton, will work great, and has the best warranty in the world, then Henry is hard to beat. I've got 5 different 22 rifles and since I got my Henry some 4 years ago, the others just sit.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Been looking into getting a Henry, but if it won't cycle hollowpoints :o ,may look at something else. Anybody else have this problem?
wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

My henry feed hollowpoints just fine... No problems at all!
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

COSteve wrote:
rossim92 wrote:The Henry in a steel frame. my buddy bought one from walmart for a little over $200.00. We were just shooting it just yesterday. It is smooth as butter, very accurate and just a blast too shoot. One piece of advice though, NO hollow points, tends to jam when trying to cycle in receiver, never missed a beat on the regular round nosed ammo. I'm thinking of selling my remington semi-auto to pay for one of the henry's.
I've got the base model Henry (H001) and it like all Henry 22s has an alloy receiver cover that's painted. They also come with real walnut stocks vs the birch ones other companies use. Its a fun little gun, smooth as butter and surprisingly accurate to boot. The Henry Frontier (H001T) is the same gun but with a longer octagon barrel and better sights. Henry also makes a Golden Boy (H004) which is a different rifle as it has a brass like cover but a different shaped receiver with a more pronounced drop at the comb plus the same barrel and sights as the H001T.

Henry's are great little plinkers and hunters which will last a long, long time but they are not heirloom firearms because they're not all steel. If you want a beautiful heirloom and arguably the best lever 22, I'd suggest the Brown BL-22 series. However, if you want a fun 22 that won't cost you a ton, will work great, and has the best warranty in the world, then Henry is hard to beat. I've got 5 different 22 rifles and since I got my Henry some 4 years ago, the others just sit.
Great post here.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

wilko wrote:My henry feed hollowpoints just fine... No problems at all!
Thanks wilko
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

For a plinker? The Henry is hard to beat. Why spend more for one that hasn't been proven yet? My son's first lever action was a Henry H100L. He still has it, loves it, and I imagine he'll hand it down to his son some day. Like 86er, I enjoy shooting one too! :D
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

Wish I had read this 30 minutes ago... Watched a GoldenBoy octagon barreled .17HMR sell for 350 bucks and it sure was a nice looking gun. Brass butt plate and looked like nickle reciever. Sure was sharp looking even for the abuse it had from previous owner.
So how do .17 HMR stack up to the others?
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

tman wrote:Been looking into getting a Henry, but if it won't cycle hollowpoints :o ,may look at something else. Anybody else have this problem?
Not at all. My H001T feeds everything as slick as wet owl ****. :D

Send a note to Henry, They'll make it right.

Have fun, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

COSteve wrote:. . . . . . . . . . If you want a beautiful heirloom and arguably the best lever 22, I'd suggest the Brown BL-22 series. . . . . . . . . . . . .

+1 I agree with the part about the Browning BL-22. I have had a Browning BL-22 for more years than I care to think about. It shoots everything well, looks good and IMO is better made than many of the current 22's on the market. The only complaint I have is the glossy finish on the stock. Typical Browning. I like the Marlin 39 but I would like to add another Browning BL-22 to the collection and that is the best recommendation I can give.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

smokenrust wrote:Wish I had read this 30 minutes ago... Watched a GoldenBoy octagon barreled .17HMR sell for 350 bucks and it sure was a nice looking gun. Brass butt plate and looked like nickle reciever. Sure was sharp looking even for the abuse it had from previous owner.
So how do .17 HMR stack up to the others?
The problem with the .17 HMR, like the .22 Mag to me is ammo cost. As they are rimfires and therefore non-reloadable, you're stuck with commercial ammo and it's high price. At about 26¢ or more per round for the .17 HMR, its twice the cost of my reloaded 357mag rounds. Add to that the high price of these specialty rifles vs the 22lr and their limited use and I think you're money ahead getting a Rossi or Marlin 357mag carbine and reloading for it. Just my opinion.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

tman wrote:
wilko wrote:My henry feed hollowpoints just fine... No problems at all!
Thanks wilko
Mine does, too. In fact, that's all I've shot in it.