Uberti 1873 45 colt and pressures?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Uberti 1873 45 colt and pressures?

Post by FOTIS »

I am getting one of these and wish to know if I can load the 45 colt same pressures as my blackhawk 45 colt.

It would make life simpler.

Any input?
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Uberti 1873 45 colt and pressures?

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Simpler and shorter.......

The Uberti is capable of the same pressures (14000psi) as the Colts SAA, of which it is a clone. The Ruger can take pressures of close to 25000psi. Most manuals have two sections for loading the 45 LC, one for Colts SAA, and a separate section for "Ruger and Contender only." Stick with loads recommended for the Colts SAA and life will be simpler and safer. :wink:

The same holds for the Uberti 1873 rifle. It is proofed and it is safe with SAAME spec loads. The Ruger data is way too hot.
Last edited by Grizzly Adams on Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

FOTIS wrote:I am getting one of these and wish to know if I can load the 45 colt same pressures as my blackhawk 45 colt.

It would make life simpler.

Any input?
Simple answer = NO.

Complex answer = The toggle link action is no where near strong enough for Ruger / T-C level loads. They will develop excessive head space and link wear with loads of that level.
Keep the loads down to SAAMI specs, 14,000 PSI and you'll be fine.

If you need a lever gun to shoot Ruger level loads get a Marlin 1894, a Win 94AE or a Rossi 92, or one of the Mirokuchester 92s. Those will handle the pressure.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

YOU ARE LOSING SIGHT OF THE FACT THE LONGER BBL ON YOUR 45COLT CARBINE WILL TAKE STANDARD 45COLT LOADS TO HIGHER SPECS THAN THE HEAVIER LOADS YOU'RE USING IN YOUR RUGER BLACKHAWK, THAT IS UNLESS YOU ARE USING REALLY CRAZY OR STUPID LOADS IN THAT RUGER. YOU ARE NOT DOING THAT ARE YOU ???
THE LOADS I USE IN MY COLT SAA 45COLT SIXGUNS WILL HIT 1200FPS IN MY UBERTI '66 CARBINE. I REST MY CASE.
AND SO IT GOES.....
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by FOTIS »

Thank you gents. My intention is not to hot rod it. Just to keep life simple as I do have hot 45 colt loads for my Ruger Bisley. I do not want one making it's way to the Uberti 45 by mistake.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Fotis,

I've heard a lot of folks make the comment about not letting hotter ammo get into their weaker actioned guns. I have three strength levels of .45 Colt revolvers and lever guns covered.
Colt level,
S&W level,
Ruger level.

I have ammo loaded in all those levels and am in no way worried about the hot stuff "accidentally" getting into the wrong gun.

All my ammo is labeled. Weather it's in a box or a zip lock bag it's either got a printed label or a color coded primer, or both.
Color Codes:
GREEN; Suitable for all smokeless powder guns.
BLUE; Suitable for S&W's and stronger.
RED; Rugers, and stronger lever guns only.
BLACK; Black powder.

I use Sharpie permanent makers around the primers.
Simple and unless you're color blind it works every time.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Some guys here are talking revolvers and some rifles and some both.

I would also like to know if a 1873 Uberti Cattleman is as strong as a New model Ruger Vacquero. I know the older models Ruger were quite strong.

Owen
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

hightime wrote:Some guys here are talking revolvers and some rifles and some both.

I would also like to know if a 1873 Uberti Cattleman is as strong as a New model Ruger Vacquero. I know the older models Ruger were quite strong.

Owen
Owen,
There's no such thing as a New Model Vaquero. All Vaqueros, the original and the current are built with the New Model action.
There is only the Vaquero and the New Vaquero.

Now to answer your question; yes the Uberti Cattleman is as strong as the New Vaquero.

Joe