Back from Texas Safari, updated and pics added

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Back from Texas Safari, updated and pics added

Post by RKrodle »

WOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, What a great time we had. I haven't had this much fun in I can't remember when. I arrived Saturday evening and was welcomed by JimT at the door. Jim was the only one at the lodge as the rest were out hunting. Jim had already taken his sika deer, so we set and talked til the rest came in. I met the rest of the hog hunters but it was for just a moment and can't remember all of their names :oops: . Sunday started out fast with a trip to the airport to pick up Ji. Ji has to be one of the happiest people I have ever met, we talked non stop from the airport back to the ranch. We had a quick lunch and then back to the airport to pick up Terry. Having never seen him I was a little worried if I could find him. I was starting to worry, his plane was late, we were both looking for someone we had never seen but knew instantly when saw each other. Link and Andy had showed up while we were on the airport run. 86er, Richard, Tycer, Mike, and Papabear were already there from the hog hunt. The safari was starting to take shape. 86er was busy playing host and showing everyone around the ranch and getting them all settled in, with was no small chore. Monday and it's time to hunt, Terry is up first and we're out trying to find him a nice ram. We both settle into a bind together and the rams are everywhere. Terry is trying to pick out the one he wants and to get a clear shot when he looks behind us and the water buffalo and some watoses(sp) are coming toward us. We both freeze hoping they will just pass on by, the blind we are in is only thin plywood and doesn't stop the wind very well and we don't think it will slow down a buff much. They come right to the blind and decide to sharpen thier horns on the door as we set frozen inside with the blind rocking around us :shock:. Alot of things were running throurgh our minds like, do we have enough firepower to repulse our new found friends, if we do open fire do we have enough money between us to pay for whatever we make fall on the other side. Just as we're getting our wallets out to count our money they move on. I think they were finally run off by the smell coming from my shorts. :shock: . I don't think Terry was as worried as I was, I remember a strong reassuring hand on my shoulder, as he tried to push me out the door as a distraction. As they rambled off and our hearts began to slow the ram Terry wanted came clear for a shot, he takes a steady aim and lands a perfect shot but the ram doesn’t go down, the ram starts to move slowly towards the thick brush and Terry laid another 308 from 86er’s 99 into him and down he went. Oh, I didn’t mention that he made these shots left handed and he is right hand, he had never used a scope until the day before when he was sighting in the rifle he borrowed from 86er and, he had never hunted with a centerfire rifle before. I think he did ok :roll: . The buff is still hanging around the area giving Terry nasty looks so we get on the phone and call for the reinforcements to come get us. They show up and the buff moves away but we keep a close eye on him as Terry collects his beautiful ram. Riding in the rescue vehicle was Piller, who had showed up while we were out hunting. As soon as he sees the buff there is no dought in his mind what he will be hunting for.

I’ll leave the details of Piller’s hunt for him to tell as I was not witness to it, but sure do wish I would have been. One thing that was apparent to everyone was how tough the animals we hunted were. Even the smallest seemed able to absorb well placed hits with good ammo and not go down. The terrain at the ranch is very thick for the most part and trying to retrieve a wounded or downed animal in it was something we were all trying to avoid. 86er coached us all on quick follow up shots and shot placement, his experience shone through and we all learned a lot form him. I was constantly amazed at his ability to spot animals in the brush, amazing eyesight and attention to detail.

I was lucky to be able to take a very nice Black Hawaiian ram that presented a perfect broad side shot at about 80 yards. I muffed the shot by pulling a bit to the right as I pulled the trigger but landed a spine shot and he went down. A very beautiful ram, that will soon hang from my wall.

Ji and I with my Black Ram.

Even as I took my ram I was looking for the last Red deer/Elk cross that was known to be on the ranch. I was trying to keep up with Tycer but was having a hard time. He took a beautiful Red Deer/ Elk and after seeing the amount of meat I wanted one also. So Joe, you can blame Tycer for all trips around the ranch trying to locate mine :lol: . When we finally found him he was in a group of other animals and we had to be careful of taking a shot. We had to wait what seemed like hours but was probably 10 minutes or so for the other elk to move out some before I could take a shot. When the opportunity finally presented itself my spike was standing with his butt toward me quartering slightly to his left with his head turned around to keep an eye on us. I was lucky enough to place my shot just to the rear of his last left side rib and dropped him in his tracks. What a relief, Joe, and Mike Rintoul, were both along and I was trying hard not to embarrass myself in front of these two very experienced and good hunters.

86er and myself with my Red Deer/ Elk cross. The rifle I used for both animals was my BLR in 358 Win loaded with 40 grains of H4198 and hornady 200 gr. sp points.

I just can’t say enough how much fun I had. Everyone one was great. Joe and Richard bent over backward to accommodate all our wishes and to ensure that everyone had a great time and a successful hunt. Everyone on the safari hunt was able to take an animal and in some cases two. I think Pillers buff could count for 5 or so just by itself, that buff was huge. All the more experienced hunters helped us less experienced one’s and never made us feel that we were being helped. It was a great pleasure to meet all the hunters form the forum here, Ji, Tycer, 86er, Piller, Papabear and Terry. Mike Rintoul , of grizzly Ammo, is great guy, he was always willing to help and more then happy to answer everyones questions. He’s also knows his way around a revolver pretty well. We had great food, fellowship, new friends, and, memories were made. It just doesn’t get any better than that.
Again, I want to thank 86er and Richard for being such gracious host to us. It’s unbelievable the length that they went to accommodate all of us. They are both top flight men and I am honored to have met them and know them. 86er put in untold hours to pull this off. When the rest of us were worried about what we needed to bring along, he was working to make sure that three deserving people could go on a hunt of a lifetime, and trying to move from New York to Texas at the same time. I would also like to thank all of those that donated time, money and well wishes to make this happen. It couldn’t have happened without all of you. This forum is made up of a great group of people who are always willing to pitch in and help.
Last edited by RKrodle on Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ricky

DWWC
Lloyd Smale
Levergunner

Post by Lloyd Smale »

great story. Sounds like a memory for a lifetime!!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Thanks for the report. Sounds like you all had a blast. :D
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Excellent! I enjoyed that report. Glad the blind stayed standing while the Buff was rubbing his horns on it.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sounds like a success to me! :D
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

These are the kinds of outings and experiences a man tells friends about for a lifetime. Good on you guys for this safari.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Thanks for the report and I look forward to some pictures!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I enjoyed meeting you. I felt bad that I had to leave early and not meet the rest of the crew who came in. Looks like everyone had a grand time.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for the great story and would have loved to have been there! Look forward to more if you get the time.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Ricky is a First Class guy and coincidentally lives right nearby my new house. I am happy to have made a new friend with many things in common. I am looking forward to many more hunts.

In regard to the TX Safari - I want to personally thank JJ Miller.
He had to cancel his hunt for personal reasons, but he donated it to the 3rd winner of the Deserving Hunt - PaPaBear. Thanks to Ricky we were able to get two winners and JJ Miller added the 3rd!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

My first post above has been updated with text and pictures.
Ricky

DWWC
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Jim, it was an honor to meet and have the chance to sit and talk.
Ricky

DWWC
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Joe, thanks for the kind words and I look forward to many more hunts with you. When you get settled in my wife and I would like to take you and your wife out for dinner.

I would like to also thank JJ Miller for such an unselfless act.
Ricky

DWWC
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Ricky;
Cool hat! Is it fabric or leather? :?:
BTW, if you do not have freezer room for any of that venison, I may be able to take a backstrap or tenderloin off your hands. :lol:
Last edited by crs on Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'm glad everyone had a great time.

Joe, you really need to get them teeth fixed. I mean, that's the only reason I can come up with why you don't smile at least some time. Doesn't that job of yours have dental insurance? :D
Old Law Dawg
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

crs, the hat is fabric, picked it up at a gun show. I like it. Thanks for the offer to "store" my meat for me, but I think I got it covered. :lol:
Ricky

DWWC
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papabear »

To JJ MILLER
I want to thank you.Because of you I had the best trip of my life meet a bunch of new friends who I had a grate time with. If it were not for you I would never of had the best hunt of my life.
Bill [papabear] :D
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
====================================================================
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed
For Those Who Don't None Will Do
====================================================================
Member Of The N.R.A.-North American Hunting club-Syosset Gun Club