Ruger BlackHawk w/45acp Cyl

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Ruger BlackHawk w/45acp Cyl

Post by Blaine »

I like .45acp. I have a couple full sized 1911s, and will probably get a shorty to go along...I'd also like to get a Blackhawk convertable for the .45acp cyl, with no intention of getting much use out of the .45 Colt cyl. So....y'all that have one, how is the accuracy with the acp cyl?? Charter Arms is supposed to be having a double action acp in a year or two.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Re: Ruger BlackHawk w/45acp Cyl

Post by adirondakjack »

They work just fine.
Certified gun nut
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I had one in the 4 5/8" that I put a lot of rounds through. It worked fine and if I had had to give up one of the cylinders It would have been the 45 Colt. It is the most economically efficient big bore for factory ammo and makes the 45 ACP more flexible because it does not have to work through and auto. You will find yourself giving it more use than the 45 Colt will be my bet.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I don't see any problems with mine.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I had one that shot really well with both cyl.
I sold it a couple years ago and have been kicking myself since.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I've had a couple of them. Had one that only had the ACP cylinder and I modified the ACP cylinders so they would accept Auto Rim ammo too. Just have to turn a little off the back of the cylinder to accommodate the thick rim. Makes no difference to the ACPs since they head space on the front of the case. Never had a problem with accuracy. I've had a couple of old Colt SAAs which I re-barreled and cylindered to .45 ACP. Very handy when I was in Uncle Sam's service and could get ammo from post AMU.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

FORTY YEARS AGO THE FIRST SIX ROUNDS OUTTA MY NEW RUGER BLACKHAWK 45ACP TOOK THE X OUT OF THE CENTER OF THE X-RING IN A 25 YARD TARGET. THAT WAS THE END OF MY LOAD DEVELOPEMENT AND I STILL USE THE SAME LOAD FORTY YEARS LATER IN ANOTHER RUGER 45/45, A COLT SAA 45/45, MY COLT NM 45, THE CIMARRON SAA 45/45, THE HTFD SAA 45/45, AND ALL OF THE S&W M25'S IN 45ACP.
THE 45ACP IS A BETTER SIXGUN CARTRIDGE THAN AN AUTOLOADING PISTOL CARTRIDGE AND IT IS STELLER AT THE LATTER.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've had two Ruger Blackhawks that did not come with an ACP cylinder. I fitted an ACP cylinder to both and both shot as good with the ACP round as they did with the Colt round. I still shoot more Colt ammo than ACP though.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Terry Murbach wrote:FORTY YEARS AGO THE FIRST SIX ROUNDS OUTTA MY NEW RUGER BLACKHAWK 45ACP TOOK THE X OUT OF THE CENTER OF THE X-RING IN A 25 YARD TARGET. THAT WAS THE END OF MY LOAD DEVELOPEMENT AND I STILL USE THE SAME LOAD FORTY YEARS LATER IN ANOTHER RUGER 45/45, A COLT SAA 45/45, MY COLT NM 45, THE CIMARRON SAA 45/45, THE HTFD SAA 45/45, AND ALL OF THE S&W M25'S IN 45ACP.
THE 45ACP IS A BETTER SIXGUN CARTRIDGE THAN AN AUTOLOADING PISTOL CARTRIDGE AND IT IS STELLER AT THE LATTER.
I would like to try that load, could you please tell us what it is?

Thanks,
Steve
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I love my Ruger with both cylinders. It does not miss, although I do. Standing and shooting without any support it will keep either .45 ACP or .45 Colt into an area I can cover with my palm for as long as I care to shoot. The pistol can do much better, but I don't shoot enough to come close to the pistols capability.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
redlevel42
Levergunner 2.0

Post by redlevel42 »

Was the old Vaquero ever offered as a combination gun in .45/.45? I wonder if Ruger would fit an ACP cylinder to one of my Vaqs? If not, who would be a good 'smith to have one made up?
Georgia On My Mind
Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wrangler John »

Same here, I had a .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk Convertible. I did a bit of lightening on the trigger pull, down to 3 lbs, and it would out-shoot my custom heavy slide 1911 competition pistol. With a 180 grain semi-wadcutter cast bullet and 3.0 grains of Bullseye powder that revolver would indeed cut the X ring out of a 25 yard target, misses went into the 10 Ring. I wish I had another. I was thinking of having a custom .45 ACP cylinder fitted up for my Colt New Frontier, maybe one of these days. The .45 ACP is just about the most fun revolver cartridge available.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

This is one of those "enabler" threads isn't it?

Come on, admit it. You guys are trying to get me to buy one of the flat top convertibles that Lipsey's is featuring... aren't you? :lol:

Man, I would like one of those. I'd probably change the grips but the flat top is just a dandy lookin revolver to me. I love my 44 Special. (now I'm trying to turn the tables and entice you all with the 44 Special Blackhawk :P )

Yep, I've been here long enough to see what's going on all right.... :D
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

If the .45/.45 was a 4 5/8" barrel I'd be interested. But I just can't warm up to the 5 1/2" one.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have used 45 ACP cylinders in several single action pistols including two Rugers. In every instance the accuracy has been as good or better than the 45 Colt cylinders.

I have just received my Ruger 45 Flatop from Lipsey's and gave it a workout with both 45 Colt and 45 ACP cylinders. This handgun stands head and shoulders above regular production Rugers in terms of quality and dimensional correctness. I would suggest that if you want to buy a Ruger 45 Colt/45ACP single action, you pull the trigger real quick and get one of the Lipsey's 45 Flatops. There will be only 500 blue and 500 stainless steel pistols made and they are a hot item right now.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I had a Blackhawk (think it was an old model) many years ago that only had the ACP cylinder, it shot very very well.

Found an ACP cylinder for a Vaquero. I called Ruger about getting one fitted, but they said they would only fit one to a model that was originally offered with one, so no Vaqueros. I cvalled around and found that Reeder had several used cylinders. I took 3 different guns in, and found one cylinder that fit one gun. Don't always assume any particular cylinder will fit any particular gun.

I've found that it tends to get gummy when shooting it much, like the headspace is tight. After it gets dirty, especially with lead bullet loads, it gets hard to rotate the cylinder, the shell heads rub against the frame face. Pushing the shells in hard helps, but it isnt as easy to use as the Colt Cylinder. I take it along when travelling, as auto rds are easier to find, but otherwise find I use it very little.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Motex66
Levergunner

Post by Motex66 »

I like mine. I fitted a 45ACP cylinder to a birdshead Vaquero, and a Old Model short barrel Ruger, then bought a 5 1/2" stainless Bisley convertable. The new flattop I have the want's for, but not the funds.

On the other hand I just bought a 45Colt SS cylinder for the Bisley don't like unfluted cylinders.

The New Vaquero 45 is a great gun. I just shoot cowboy loads. Working on getting setup to cast and build a new reloading room. Moving is a pain after 34 years in one place.

John
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Charles wrote:I have used 45 ACP cylinders in several single action pistols including two Rugers. In every instance the accuracy has been as good or better than the 45 Colt cylinders.

I have just received my Ruger 45 Flatop from Lipsey's and gave it a workout with both 45 Colt and 45 ACP cylinders. This handgun stands head and shoulders above regular production Rugers in terms of quality and dimensional correctness. I would suggest that if you want to buy a Ruger 45 Colt/45ACP single action, you pull the trigger real quick and get one of the Lipsey's 45 Flatops. There will be only 500 blue and 500 stainless steel pistols made and they are a hot item right now.
OOF DA.....almost 700$$....I'll have to look for an ugly one, and I prefer 4 5/8"...they sure are pretty though.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

BlaineG wrote:
Charles wrote:I have used 45 ACP cylinders in several single action pistols including two Rugers. In every instance the accuracy has been as good or better than the 45 Colt cylinders.

OOF DA.....almost 700$$....I'll have to look for an ugly one, and I prefer 4 5/8"...they sure are pretty though.
Multiply that by .7 and you'll get an approx wholesale price. My dealer does transfers for $25.

Here's one at Bud's Gun Shop for $482 shipped to your dealer. They have an extensive list of dealers who have their FFL's on file with Bud's. I've purchased 5 guns from them with perfect satisfaction.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/49723

It is a whole lot easier to just go buy it at the local dealer but they usually put a hefty mark on em...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I paid $510.00 for mine out the door.

Lipsey's sell them to the FFL holders for $459.90 in blue and $479.90 in stainles, plus $10 freight per gun. Mine is blue.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

For all with .45 Colt revolvers, No Ruger won't sell ya an ACP cylinder for yer .45 Colt.

If you handload, and like the effciency of .45 ACP, you can always use Cowboy .45 Special rounds in your .45 colt (OR .45 ACP cylinder) in a Blackhawk or vquero with no modifications to the guns. They won't produce triceratops killer loads like Ruger-only .45 Colt, but do well up to and including .45 ACP+P+ levels (around 25K) and on the other end of the spectrum, still group well with a 130 gr HB bullet at a shade over 500 fps. OR anywhere in between.

For a real hoot, a 268 gr long nose .455 Webley bullet in the short case on top of 5 grains of Bullseye gets it done....

Certified gun nut
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

O.S.O.K. wrote:This is one of those "enabler" threads isn't it?

I love my 44 Special. (now I'm trying to turn the tables and entice you all with the 44 Special Blackhawk :P )

I had to go look at the 5.5" .44 Special.

I'd call you an ugly name but it wouldn't make it past the auto-censor... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Why sure! I'll post a pic of the one that I got! :D

:P :P :P

Now, you know what to do... :D
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Charles wrote:I paid $510.00 for mine out the door.

Lipsey's sell them to the FFL holders for $459.90 in blue and $479.90 in stainles, plus $10 freight per gun. Mine is blue.
Are you talking about the ones shown on their main page with the white gunfighter grips?

If you add shipping, its about the same as the regular ones that Bud's has...

I'd definately go for blue. I like stainless to but blue for this.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Yes, it is the one with the white gunfighter grips and the 5.5" bbl. It is the Lipsey's special order 45/45 ACP Flatop on the medium frame. It is a heck of a fine sixgun. I detest the white grips and am working a trade for some black ones.

The price was very good. It was very little if nothing above the dealers cost, plus shipping, plus Texas sales tax. The dealer is a good friend of mine for which I have done some favors including preforming the marriage ceremony for him and his girlfriend a month or two ago.