Marlin dates

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Marlin dates

Post by pwl44m »

I have a 444 Marlin. In trying to date it I had a little trouble nailing it down. Only source I have at My disposal is the BB.other than internet.
anyhow the ser# has an AC prefix. I determined this as 1967. did I get it right ? Been wondering when it was made what with all the talk about them.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: On-T Marlin dates

Post by 6pt-sika »

Yes you did !

Y or Z were on the few that were made in 1964

AA for 65

AB for 66

AC for 67

AD for 68

69 for 69

70 for 70

71 for 71

and 72 for the few that were made in 1972

As to an actual "444T" , their is somewhat of a misconception . "Actual" 444T's were only made in 1971 and 1972 . To be a 444T it needs to be rollstamped on the barrel and they only did that in 1971 and 1972 . I have some rifles seriel numbered to 1971 that are not 444T's .

The ones that are rollstamped 444T will be the same as the normal First Model of 1971 with the squared finger lever , but they will have the rollstamp on the barrel and the front sight will be attached via a dovetail where as the others made in 1971 will have a front sight base thats drilled and tapped attached to the barrel .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin dates

Post by 6pt-sika »

As I said in the previouse post if it doesn't have "444T" rollstamped on the barrel it's not a "444T" . I have one from 1971 and another from 1972 .

This is a pic of the roll stamp .

This is my circa 1971 "444T" . Note the lever and the front sight .

This is my circa 1972 "444T" also note the lever and front sight .

Now here's another circa 1971 rifle without the "444T" roll stamp . Note the lever is the same but the front sight is different .

Now just to throw a little some more flies in the ointment , here's a circa 1970 rifle that DOES NOT have the medallion in the stock and it does have the squared lever like a 1971/1972 rifle !

I also just so happen to have ANOTHER circa 1970 rifle with the squared lever that HAS a Medallion in the stock !

Now to the normal shooter/hunter this means absolutely NOTHING . But since I started collecting these things it's kinda neat to me !

While this is not factory backed up , I believe they started with the squared levers in late 1970 (obviousely) and then in even later 1970 when they were starting their production numbers for 1971 they went to the non medallion stock . In reality it's probably all based on when they ran out of rounded levers and then later when they ran out of medallion inlaid stocks !
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thx 6pt, I have been wanting to know but until I got all My guns unpacked and in one place it was hard to dig them out.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
xerts1191
Levergunner

Post by xerts1191 »

Check with all the good people at Marlinowners.com from the look's of the pics the one gentleman posted they appear to be what Marlin labled as the " Texan model" ? Someone their can tell you for sure.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Lever30 wrote:Check with all the good people at Marlinowners.com from the look's of the pics the one gentleman posted they appear to be what Marlin labled as the " Texan model" ? Someone their can tell you for sure.
The "444T" is what they called the Texan (as far as a 444 is concerned), however they only actually made the ones marked as such in 71 and 72 .

But then I do not frequent marlinowners anylonger , so based on your opinion mine must have NO credibility !