Leather butt cuffs

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Leather butt cuffs

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I do not own any of these, but have been thinking about one. Seems to me though that putting leather against a wood stock is asking for the finish under the cuff to get ruined. Do any of you fellows use these? What is your experience with them? Likes and dislikes? Yes, I'm thinking about one for a leveraction, so this is OT! :D
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Leather butt cuffs

Post by FWiedner »

I was thinking about buying one a while back for my Marlin 1895CB. Looked at Levergun Leather. Nice.

But then I thought, "Heck, this thing holds 9 rounds in the magazine" and I rarely load more than 3 at a time.

I like to carry a few extra rounds when I go out, but that particular rifle holds plenty, and I couldn't see the utility in making it weigh more by storing a half dozen (likely uneeded) cartridges on the buttstock. Those Marlins handle and balance really well 'naked'.

I decided that an ammo wallet on my belt or in my day pack was just fine.

After that internal conversation, I decided that I don't really have any other guns I'd think about putting one on.

:?
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I keep a nylon one on the Guide Gun, with nickel-plated cases in it (kind of the barbeque look :wink: ). Makes a good "go-to" gun for daytime (the "Night Scout" gets the nod if it's dark out). Never used nor wanted a leather one, for the very reasons you cite; may not be a problem, but I am more interested in function than appearance for the cuff, and yet interested enough in 'appearance' I guess that I don't want to mess up the stock finish more than necessary.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've have one on my 94P and LTD III for several years now. Haven't seen any isssues
with the finish on tbe stocks.
I'd like to get a couple more.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

I've got one on my .44 Wrangler and an H&R single shot 12 gauge, never a problem with either of them. I like knowing I've got extra ammo available if all I've got on are my Chuck Norris jammies and fuzzy bunny slippers! :D
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I use this kind on some of my levers - the ones that tend to kick harder... they make the range session much more fun when testing loads off of the bench... get them at Cabelas.

Shown here on my .356 Win Marlin:

Hasn't ruined any stocks yet... but then I don't get them soaking wet and leave them on either...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

No issues here. I think it has something to do with the way the leather is tanned or dyed. Seems like vegitable tanning is the way to go to prevent any issues, but I'm no leather expert.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I like these on my 92`s. I bought them to increase LOP, plus they have pads for recoil and just pull on and lace up. I have a rubber sleeve on a very old winchester model 70 300 H&H. It must be on for almost 50 years and hasnt hurt the stock.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thanks guys!

I don't see me getting these wet, and if I did, I would take it off the rifle to let it dry and clean and dry the gun. I was ust curious because it seems like the leather would hold some moisture against the stock. Doesn't sound like that is an issue.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

As stated, I think moisture would be your major concern as always. Vegetable tanned leather would be best. No harsh tanning chemicals attacking your finish.
Old Law Dawg
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I have one from LeverGuns Leather on my Low Wall in 45 Colt. I have it on there because of the crescent butt plate. If not for that crescent butt plate I would never put one on a rifle. There is no doubt in my mind that the leather will affect the finish on the stock. Tom.

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Those aren't what I usually think of as buff cuffs.

Butt cuffs have a storage pouch/pocket or shell/cartridge loops.

IMO, the items pictured are lace-on recoil pads.

:?:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I have one of the lace-on recoil pads on my 86, 45-90 for obvious reasons. Took the butt plate off since I figured it would rust inside the cuff. Oh yeah, I really like it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

HEAD0001 wrote:I have one from LeverGuns Leather on my Low Wall in 45 Colt. I have it on there because of the crescent butt plate. If not for that crescent butt plate I would never put one on a rifle. There is no doubt in my mind that the leather will affect the finish on the stock. Tom.

Mine are also from Levergun Leather, as I've said, no issues. I seem to recall that Lever had someone complain about this and he polled the rest of us who owned the covers, and I don't recall anyone else having any issues. I think that was on the hated Marlin Owners fourm. I'd do a search, but I tend to speak my mind and am not welcome there. But that's another thread entirely.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

FWiedner wrote:Those aren't what I usually think of as buff cuffs.

I am a lefty, the loops are on the other side. And it actually is not a recoil pad. There is no padding in the cover. I put it on there to lessen the sharpness of the crescent butt plate. I just don't like that sharp steel on the bottom of those curved plates. Tom.

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

For a single shot rifle I can see the utility of a good butt cuff, and if you're going to get one it ought to be a nice one.

Yours looks well made and functional. Looks good too.

I prefer a shotgun type butt myself.

:)

JBledsoe
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JBledsoe »

The cuff and lace-ups can damage a good oil finish. However, what could they possibly do to make a Mar-shield finish look ah.............. less attractive?

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

HEAD0001 wrote:
FWiedner wrote:Those aren't what I usually think of as buff cuffs.

I am a lefty, the loops are on the other side. And it actually is not a recoil pad. There is no padding in the cover. I put it on there to lessen the sharpness of the crescent butt plate. I just don't like that sharp steel on the bottom of those curved plates. Tom.

Please note the shell loops on the butt cuff.

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"