winchester 1886 45-70 conversion to 50 cal. questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike8623
Levergunner

winchester 1886 45-70 conversion to 50 cal. questions

Post by Mike8623 »

Hey guys, new here, but have a couple of questions. I have a old Winchester 1886 parts gun in 45-70, 22 inch barrel, shoots good, I can put all my rounds in a 18 inch circle at 300 yards with a 405 g. bullet and with open sights and while most may not be happy with that I am tickled pink. I have however always had a hankering for a real big bore........one of the 50's either 50-110 or 50 express. I've read that all the old 86 parts are interchangeable except for the 33 cal...................I've looked at both the scale drawings for the 45-70 and 50.............it appears that if I had a 50 cal barrel screwed on this it would chamber and fire the round..............so those of you in the know.............holler back at me with specifics if I'm headed up the wrong road................and I know it may make more sense to stay 45-70 and not make much sense at all, except to me, to move up to a more larger expensive round................

I'm sure a lot of you have been headed here before me............so let me know your thoughts...........if this is not possible and a lot of changes need to be made.........be specific.

Thanks to all that post
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: winchester 1886 45-70 conversion to 50 cal. questions

Post by Terry Murbach »

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE....DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED BY COMMON SENSE... I AM PRETTY SURE YOU COULD CONVERT THAT INTO A MA DUECE 50BMG IF THE PILE OF MONEY YOU SPEND IS HIGH ENOUGH....I CAN SCARCELY CONTAIN MY ENTHUSIASM...A LEVER ACTION MA DUECE 50BMG....OH MY......BE STILL MY HEART...
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

There are differences in the length of 45/70 and 50/110 (2.1"/2.4"). This does require some internal action work. All of the family of 1886 cartridges used the same rim diameter, .608 to .610, so the bolt face is OK as is. The 50/110 case length is approximately the same as the 40/82 and 45/90. I have seen a couple of '86's (40/82) where it was necessary to cut an angle on the lower edge of the loading gate to allow a slight more clearence for the cartridge to be fed easily. I have not seen a 50/110 Winchester in person, so I don't know all the internal changes the action might require.
It is doable, but I have no idea of the cost. I'm sure others on this site will have the information you need. By the way, an 18" group at 300 yards w/open sights is nothing to be sneezed at.
Mike8623
Levergunner

Post by Mike8623 »

So it looks like the cartridge lifter would have to be opened up about .200 or so. I guess the determining factor would be how much material is on the lifter and if there is enough to mill out...............I'll take a look..............

Thanks to the both of you for responding..................others must have input............bring it on guys...........

You know I really like the way the rifle currently shoots and it is short enough...............I may have to start looking for another 86 action to work on..............you must always have a winter project.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Just send your gun off to Jesse Ocompaugh (JES Reboring) and for $225 you can have him re-bore it and rechamber it to 50 Alaskan. Same rim size as the 45-70, and IIRC, same length, just bigger in diameter. And if you send it to him ASAP, it will save you money, as I just sent him my Pedersoli Sharps to be rebored to the same caliber, and sent my 50AK reamer also, so no reamer rental fee for you. Just use my reamer on your gun.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Gun Smith wrote:There are differences in the length of 45/70 and 50/110 (2.1"/2.4"). This does require some internal action work. All of the family of 1886 cartridges used the same rim diameter, .608 to .610, so the bolt face is OK as is. The 50/110 case length is approximately the same as the 40/82 and 45/90. I have seen a couple of '86's (40/82) where it was necessary to cut an angle on the lower edge of the loading gate to allow a slight more clearence for the cartridge to be fed easily. I have not seen a 50/110 Winchester in person, so I don't know all the internal changes the action might require.
It is doable, but I have no idea of the cost. I'm sure others on this site will have the information you need. By the way, an 18" group at 300 yards w/open sights is nothing to be sneezed at.
The only ones that's sneeze at that are the bullsh... guys that do all their shooting from a keyboard! They're generally the guys that are always bragging about some new custom gun made of unobtainium that shoots MOA at 100 yards out of the box. Maybe on Xbox, but not in real life.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I just started having one built in 50 Express that was a 33 wcf. It's certainly doable. PM me if you want my gunsmith info. He's in So Cal.

I think a lot of people can't even see the target at 300 yards, open sight, let alone hit an 18 inch circle. I'm happy when I can get 6~8 inches at 200 with my 71, and I don't typically shoot further than that.
Chad
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hey guys! Mike is new here! Please let him feel welcomed! :lol:

Mike, I know that my gunsmith friend Mic McPherson has converted '86 Winchesters to 510 Kodiak Express which is a 50-110 case loaded to higher pressure. Mic puts a slight shoulder on the case to prevent it from being chambered in an older 50-110 rifle for safety. He's actually converted at least half a dozen rifles and to this caliber and I'm pretty sure more than that, so there is some demand for them.

I'm not sure what is needed for the conversion, however, but it is much easier to do on the Winchester than the Marlin 95 action. If your really serious PM me. Hopefully someone on the board will have more information for you.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Welcome Mike,

I've always wanted to do that very thing. Just never could part with the funds to do it. I wanted mine in a Browning 1886...but you know how it goes...

And Travis, I've had two out of the box Mod 70's that with nothing more than a trigger adjustment went well under MOA. for a 3 shot string.....regularly...MOA isn't too much to ask from a modern factory bolt action IMO. :mrgreen:

Ed
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

Mike

Mike

I've seen a few original 50 EX 86’s, even own one or two, and converted a bunch. There are several areas that need modification: the loading gate both front and back, the CTG guides, the carrier, the S-Hook, and sometimes the frame (two possibly three areas), and occasionally the mag tube. Also for some reason the early first model 1886’s seem to be especially problematic for this conversion.

Best I can tell 50 cal 1886’s were individually converted by the factory.

Mike
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Kansas Ed wrote:Welcome Mike,

I've always wanted to do that very thing. Just never could part with the funds to do it. I wanted mine in a Browning 1886...but you know how it goes...

And Travis, I've had two out of the box Mod 70's that with nothing more than a trigger adjustment went well under MOA. for a 3 shot string.....regularly...MOA isn't too much to ask from a modern factory bolt action IMO. :mrgreen:

Ed
I meant for that part to be specifically about sixshooters. I've avtually seen blowhards post that stuff. Especially on sig forums.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Terry Murbach wrote:ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE....DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED BY COMMON SENSE... I AM PRETTY SURE YOU COULD CONVERT THAT INTO A MA DUECE 50BMG IF THE PILE OF MONEY YOU SPEND IS HIGH ENOUGH....I CAN SCARCELY CONTAIN MY ENTHUSIASM...A LEVER ACTION MA DUECE 50BMG....OH MY......BE STILL MY HEART...
Nice welcome, Terry. Welcome to the board and do not let Terry put you off, he forgets himself from time to time. Mr. Murbach has forgotten more than most of us will ever know but his manners eluded him at times. He is a good guy so do not let him put you off. I had my good buddy Mic McPherson clean up a B-86 that someone had attempted to convert from .45-70 to .45-90. The work was flawless. He does quite a bit of work with the .50 cal. Drop Mic a line. Let us know if you need more help. 1886.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Welcome, Mike. Your .50EX conversion is certainly doable, but would caution you if the gun has a BP frame. Generally speaking, it would be a gun manufactured prior to 1900, or thereabouts. Is your .45-70 barrel a Nickel Steel one, and made for smokeless powder? If so, and it's in good enough shape, then I would be interested in it. You will probably need to have a new barrel made anyway for a .50 conversion. Talk to one of the respondents, Mike Hunter. He knows. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Mike D. wrote:Welcome, Mike. Your .50EX conversion is certainly doable, but would caution you if the gun has a BP frame. Generally speaking, it would be a gun manufactured prior to 1900, or thereabouts. Is your .45-70 barrel a Nickel Steel one, and made for smokeless powder? If so, and it's in good enough shape, then I would be interested in it.
I will add that I know Winchester would rework a BP frame into a 33 wcf or a 50 Express, even an early takedown BP frame. I think the 33 wcf is even higher pressure than the 50s :?: , and I don't think it was too uncommon at all to rebarrel an old BP round to the (then) new wiz-bang 33 high-power round. If the factory felt comfortable with the metals and pressures I wouldn't worry too much. Of course you wouldn't be able to hot-rod your 50 like you could in a newer Miroku, but I think a BP framed rifle would handle the conversion just fine if you stick to traditional loads and pressures.

Good luck!
Chad
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

Welcome to the forum.

These conversions can be done but this is a large case to make cycle and feed properly in an 1886. Extra modifications are required to feed and cycle longish LOA (around 2.80-2.85) and bullets with wide meplats. I think Turnbulls recommend a max of 2.75" OAL for their conversions. In his conversions Dave Clay makes a mag tube with a bulge in it like Marlin did when they redesigned the 336 to handle the 45/70. If you check out early 50/110 factory loads their bullets had short ogives and small meplats, which suggests that perhaps Winchester didnt do as much action alteration on factory rifles in those days.

Another important issue for these conversions is magazine tube attachment. If you plan to use heavy loads you might want to consider beefing up this area too.

If you do a search on this site you should find other threads discussing these conversions.

HTH and good luck with your project.

Joe
Mike8623
Levergunner

Post by Mike8623 »

I want to thank all that replied, and those of you that will reply in the future.......I am grateful for all the information given. I do have a lot of time on my hands and enjoy this sort of thing. I especially want to thank Mike Hunter. I think what I'll do is keep the little rifle I just put together and start working on another one...........I have some parts that I have collected from the last project..............and will just start looking for others.............boy those things just keep going up and up..............you start thinking about what the parts cost and what you can get used one for and they are getting close or surpassing a rifle that is all there..............anyway Thanks guys and I look forward to hearing more from you folks.

Mike
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

MR. MURBACH DON'T NEED NO 'APOLOGIZIN'...'

With all he's forgotten, he still knows more than most folks ever will...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Another high jacked post. The gents question was about a .50 cal. conversion. He did not invite an impolite response. Rudeness always needs to be addressed, especially when it is directed towards a new member. This is not an "I was here first and I know more than you so it is o.k. for me to belittle you" forum. This pertains to you as well, Buck. God Bless, 1886.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

When did this turn into AR-15.com or sassnet.com? I'm sure Black Harris will be along to tell everyone that if they don't grow a ponytail, start dressing like it's 1880 and start calling everyone "pard" they're out. :lol:

I'd like to see/handle/shoot/own one of these conversions.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Although some may not want to believe it, this conversion is very cost effective, especially considering that you would have to shell out somewhere in excess of $20K for an original LWTD in that esteemed caliber.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Mike8623
Levergunner

Post by Mike8623 »

Just wanted to let folks know, got my rifle all built and just shooting the dickens out of it.......really like it a lot........kinda put together a leather kick pad so it doesn't destroy my shoulder, conforming to the contour of the original butt, and am in the process of working up some 500+ grain loads..........I've tried all sort of higher grain bullets (600+) and they just tumbled on me........so far the 455 grainers from montana bullet works are working the best for me....., anyway I am having a good time..........although I do have a young Grizzly that has been roaming kinda close to my place.........saw him once right out my door at 200 yards....I sure hope he keeps his distance.

Still haven't been able to figure out that Greenhill formula........with my 1/26 twist it seems that my rifle would shoot those heavier bullets just fine........but no go......anyway guys I'm plugging away at it and having a good time.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

One of the GREATEST SINS YOU CAN POSSIBLY COMMIT HERE IS NOT POSTING PICTURES OF THIS RIFLE. sorry to holler, but we really want to SEE this work of art. Please. :) .
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, a belated WELCOME to the board! And yes, please do post pics! Video links are also welcome :D
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Mike8623
Levergunner

Post by Mike8623 »

Well I wouldn't exactly call it a work of art, but it sure works for me. I'm way up on a mountain top in Montana and will be....... until the middle of next month........Don't have a digital camera here so when I get back I post a picure or two......in the mean time I'll post a picture of that Grizzly taken a few years back when he was little...he's a lot bigger now and collared........

OK, found this years picture......will see if it loads
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Mike8623 wrote:Hey guys, new here, but have a couple of questions. I have a old Winchester 1886 parts gun in 45-70, 22 inch barrel, shoots good, I can put all my rounds in a 18 inch circle at 300 yards with a 405 g. bullet and with open sights ...
First, welcome to the fire. Pull up a stump, grab a cup of jo, and join in the jawin'. Now, as to your 300yd shooting, I agree that an 18" group at 300yds with open sights is impressive. That's a far piece to shoot and you've got your 45-70 doing well no matter what anyone tells ya.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Mike8623
Levergunner

50-110 pictures

Post by Mike8623 »

OK Guys finally got back and I will attempt to post the pics of the 1886 50-110 I did. also included is the one I am working on now.....Both of these were put together from parts I scrounged and were not complete rifles when I got them
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
plstktnkr2
Levergunner

Post by plstktnkr2 »

I am a noob here but I have taken a different path. I am going to purchase a brand new 1886 reissue (so to speak) and a barrel from Green Mountain chambered in 50-110 Express, pack it up to a gunsmith and have the conversion done. Total cost with new rifle,barrel and conversion fee= $ 2,000.00. A small price to pay for a brand new express rifle.
Rick
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

plstktnkr2 wrote:I am going to purchase a brand new 1886 reissue (so to speak) and a barrel from Green Mountain chambered in 50-110 Express, pack it up to a gunsmith and have the conversion done.
I'd suggest a shotgun butt version if you can find it. Easier on the shoulder than the traditional rifle butt under heavy recoil. Sounds like a plan though.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Well, I apparently missed this post the first time around. Cool that Mike8623 got his rifle made up.

plstktnkr2, Welcome to the forum and let us know when you get'er done. Post us a pic or two.
Old Law Dawg
plstktnkr2
Levergunner

Post by plstktnkr2 »

I am going with a shotgun butt, and full magazine tube. When it is done I will post pics as soon as the big butt grin wears off lol

One quick question: is it inadvisable to have curley maple stocks on a powerful gun such as this? Reason being I like the look of the 1874 Sharps "Old West Maple" on the cover of "GUNS OF THE OLD WEST" /Winter 2012 issue. Just musings for next winter.
Rick
Mike8623
Levergunner

Post by Mike8623 »

Well guys got my other 1886 completed, the way my boy wanted it......keep in mind it isfrom parts (a parts gun) and different from what you have seen in the past, but my boy had been wanting a scout rifle...so I guess he has one now. It has a 18.5 barrel in 50-110 with a xs scout mount and in Duracoat amstripe. I'm still waiting for the burris fastfire relfex to put on it, anyway thought I'd show you folks.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I like the rail. That FastFire should be great on there.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Welcome to the camp. At one time I had a 50-110 that had an original Winchester 50 barrel on a 71 Browning. It was very well put together, by who I don't know, but that original barrel had a very slow twist rate so that I could only load about a 300 grain bullet. Ended up trading it for a 73 and some $$. If you go with a new barrel you can probably specify a fast enough twist to stabilize a little more bullet.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

That certainly is different!!
Sure is a nice scout rifle for your boy though :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Once again we find another 'tinkerer' who makes up his rifle the way He wants, not necessarily the way the makers wanted. I for one salute your industry and gumption to see both projects through to the end. Also, I'm glad they are working well for ya. I can't believe the number of members here who make their own stuff, this site is wonderful!!
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Nice job on those. Nice barrel on the first, love the half oct/half round. Very unique look on that second rifle.

Kevin
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That tiger stripe reminds me of Vietnam. Something you'd see a special forces guy packin. :D
Old Law Dawg
plstktnkr2
Levergunner

Post by plstktnkr2 »

I have finally recieved my model '86 and I am getting the parts together to do my conversion. Can anybody help me with case/case measurements 45/70/50-110? I also need to find out how to aquire a full mag tube, mag tube mount and proper sight for an octagonal barrel.

ps. what is the size/ thread of the "made in japan" model '86 reciever?
Rick

And we are off, lol
Last edited by plstktnkr2 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Rintoul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike Rintoul »

I'm a big bore fan and appreciate any rifle caliber that starts with .50! 50-110 is an excellent cartridge that can be loaded to just about any task you could ask of it. Good shooting with it!
Mike Rintoul
Owner
Grizzly Cartridge Ammunition Company
www.grizzlycartridge.com
Cast Performance Bullet Company
Rainier, Oregon
(503) 556-3006
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

COSteve wrote:Once again we find another 'tinkerer' who makes up his rifle the way He wants, not necessarily the way the makers wanted. I for one salute your industry and gumption to see both projects through to the end. Also, I'm glad they are working well for ya. I can't believe the number of members here who make their own stuff, this site is wonderful!!
+1 8)

That end-result looks like a 'serious' gun - my favorite kind:
  • 'Traditional' gun - nothing much added or modified, unless everyone else has done the same.

'TactiKool' gun - lots of adds/mods, but the same ones everyone else does, and not actually practical, even for its creator, other than to look 'kool'.

'Serious' gun - nothing just for looks or frills, but may have lots of traditional OR non-traditional adds/mods, enabling it to perform exceptionally well for its creator. Some guns (like a 1911, or Garand) are pretty much 'serious' without any modifications needed.
Most of my guns are 'traditional', and a few have evolved into 'serious' ones, and once in awhile I make up a 'tactikool' one (usually out of a toy gun, though).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
plstktnkr2
Levergunner

Post by plstktnkr2 »

Mike8623 wrote:Just wanted to let folks know, got my rifle all built and just shooting the dickens out of it.......really like it a lot........kinda put together a leather kick pad so it doesn't destroy my shoulder, conforming to the contour of the original butt, and am in the process of working up some 500+ grain loads..........I've tried all sort of higher grain bullets (600+) and they just tumbled on me........so far the 455 grainers from montana bullet works are working the best for me....., anyway I am having a good time..........although I do have a young Grizzly that has been roaming kinda close to my place.........saw him once right out my door at 200 yards....I sure hope he keeps his distance.

Still haven't been able to figure out that Greenhill formula........with my 1/26 twist it seems that my rifle would shoot those heavier bullets just fine........but no go......anyway guys I'm plugging away at it and having a good time.
Am I mis-informed or does a fast twist do better with lighter bullets and slower twist with heavier???