OT - A Good Dial Caliper ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

OT - A Good Dial Caliper ?

Post by DixieBoy »

Dropped my old reliable KD dial calipers the other day and they're toast.

Yesterday and today I did some researching on calipers and :roll: , man, things have changed.

When I got the KD's back in the early 90's, it was understood that they were Japanese manufacture, and fairly inexpensive. In fact, an old boss gave them to me. But the darn things worked well for me for decades. And then, whoops .... :? (By the way, you should always be concerned if your surgeon says "Whooops" or "Ooooops" during any surgical procedure you're having, but I digress :) ).

I've been trying to keep my next purchase under $ 100 if that is at all possible. I'm finding that unless I want to spend $ 150, the legendary Starrett's are not made in American any longer. And even the American-made Starrett 120-A - 6" has some poor reviews on the websites I've checked out. Mitutoyo seems to be following the same trend, with their 505 actually being made in Brazil.

For crying out loud ! I want a simple and solid set of dial calipers. Anybody have any advice ?

I already bought a set from Grainger's here locally. I paid $ 50 for them, knowing they were China made, but they felt solid. Tonight, while measuring Overall Lengths of pistol rounds, I discovered the fun of a caliper which never gives the same reading twice. So, they're going back for a refund. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

There's got to be a solid dial caliper out there for $ 100 or less. Whadday think ? - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - A Good Dial Caliper ?

Post by M. M. Wright »

I bought a cheap set from Midway to go in the loading room. They work as well as the Brown and Sharp that I keep in my machine shop area.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I don't doubt there are many inexpensive calipers out there. A great tool will pay for itself - Starrett tools have always meant quality in my shop, and I have many. Every time I use one, I reflect on the fact that it was money well spent. I can't vouch for current production or not, the newest Starrett I have is a 20 year old straight edge (expensive) - a whole days work depends on the accuracy of my measurements, and accuracy is not a concern when you use the best. Heck, I can't even say "Starrett" without smiling a little.
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Post by Cimarron »

I bought one at NAPA during their national tool sale. It is a real nice digital type. I think they were aout $20. Of course they are made in China. Trying to find anything made here any more is challanging to say the least.
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

IMO, used Mirometers in their original cases have been well taken care of for the most part. Especially if they have the original paperwork. I got a 6" Mitutoyo very similar to this one on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitutoyo-Dial-C ... 500wt_1204

The one I got was perfect and is very accurate when compared to a real micrometer.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I have a set of Brown and Sharpe dial calipers I got new for Xmas maybe 25 years ago . I would expect replacemtn cost on these to be well over your $100 limit !

Also have a set of Brown and Sharpe micrometers that were new probably back in the 70's or 80's . My father had them in his office and when he retired he gave them to me .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I can have a set of Brown and Sharpe dial calipers, their 599 - 579 - 4, for right around my $ 100 limit !

Most outfits want $ 150 or more for these, but Grizzly has them for much less if anyone else is interested. Thanks again. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I know I've gone through several DIGITAL ones and they have proved worthless; after a couple months, the display starts blinking and resetting or doing other strange things, and even though the measurement (right before the display goes out) is reproducible, it makes me not trust it. Next time it will be DIAL calipers for me...

I have a 1" micrometer I really like; too bad they don't make them with 4" gaps that are affordable.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I've been using my RCBS caliper for years and it has worked well for my handloading needs. I bought one of the cheap blue electronic ones (Frankford?) from Midway a few years ago, as AJMD said, the display occasionally likes to start blinking and resetting itself. Although it is accurate when compaired to my RCBS dial caliper. I am pretty sure (without going to look) that my RCBS is US made, don't know if the newer ones are.
Last edited by damienph on Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 93marshooter »

I know with bargain products you get what you pay for. My Harbor freight dial caliper has served me well at the loading bench. I would not know how it would hold up in a machine shop. I would want the best I could find. I don't trust digital read out for precision unless you are willing to spend lots,and maybe go back into the past. We're a third world county that has to import precision tools. Grizzly Tools seems a good place to look
Last edited by 93marshooter on Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
ole pizen slinger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ole pizen slinger »

Dixieboy,
Check your local pawn shops. Tools are often pawned and some good buys are available. You can see and try what you're buying. My friend bought a set of Brown & Sharpe calipers for $30. They were like new.
OPS
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

YOU BOYS ARE FORGETTING THE CALIPER THAT NEVER WEARS OUT, NEVER CHANGES IT'S READOUT, AND DOES NOT NEED A DAMNDABLE BATTERY ATALL, THE VERNIOR CALIPER. I BOUGHT A BRAND NEW CANON 8" VERNIOR CALIPER FOR $30.00 SOME YEARS BACK FROM A TOOL SUPPLY PLACE [ ENCO ?? ]. IT IS DEAD ON THE MONEY, IS JUST AS FAST AS ANY OTHER CALIPER [ ONCE YOU KNOW HOW [ NBFD ATALL ], AND IT-NEVER-CHANGES-ANYTHING.
WHATEVER YOU BUY IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A ONE INCH SETTING STANDARD YOU'LL NEVER KNOW IF THE CALIPER IS GOING SLIGHTLY GOOFY; AND THEY DO !!!!
NEVER NEVER NEVER TRUST ANYTHING THAT IS BATTERY POWERED TO REPEAT ANYTHING. USE A SETTING STANDARD.
ON THE OTHER HAND MY MITUTOYA ELECTRONIC MICROMETER MEASURES TO FIFTY MILLIONS OF AN INCH AND NEVER VARIES UNTIL THAT darned BATTERY QUITS RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THINGS !!! IT'S USE IN A MIKE STAND IS NOTHING SHORT OF DEEELIGHTFUL.
AND SO IT GOES
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

Terry Murbach wrote:YOU BOYS ARE FORGETTING THE CALIPER THAT NEVER WEARS OUT, NEVER CHANGES IT'S READOUT, AND DOES NOT NEED A DAMNDABLE BATTERY ATALL, THE VERNIOR CALIPER...........
I was starting to feel really old when no one had mentioned the "cordless" version which also does not depend on the delicate dial, BUT requires a little bit of mental (any very simple) math,..... ok and reasonably good eyesight. I am still using a "cheap" Japanese (from when Japanese goods were the butt of "cheap junk" jokes) vernier caliper from almost forty years ago. It was the first one my Dad gave me. When he retired, he gave me a bunch of his duplicates and I ended up with a dial caliper with which I am still not as comfy as the vernier. I have picked up a good many measuring tools from places I worked which were discarded because they were "broken." Took them home, cleaned them up and zeroed them.... good as new. Mitutoyo, Starrett, Scherr & Tumico.......

I don't know what your flea markets are like, but there's always at least one old fella with several display cases of older tools in servicable condition at reasonable prices at ours. May be worth a try.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I have the RCBS which was not much more than the cheapest one from Midway, I think it is Asian made but with good specs. Because you say you want "a good dial caliper" not a great one, mine is solid and accurate. Certainly fine for reloading.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Thanks again guys. For those of you who find yourselves needing hand tools I'll remind you that Grizzly is nothing short of incredible for good tools at very fair prices.

Like alot of you all, I've never trusted the electronic digital calipers. I know there are some out there that their owners swear by. That's great. But for me, I've become really familiar and reasonably quick with good old dial calipers. I'm a slow reloader (on purpose) and I measure darn near everything.

As goofy as it might sound to some, I like knowing that the ammo I've loaded is absolutely spot on when I go to the range. Then, the only thing to blame for bad shooting is the nut behind the trigger. :o

Thanks again for the good ideas. - DixieBoy
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

El Chivo wrote:I have the RCBS which was not much more than the cheapest one from Midway, I think it is Asian made but with good specs. Because you say you want "a good dial caliper" not a great one, mine is solid and accurate. Certainly fine for reloading.

Today's Midway USA Gunsmithing Eblast has the RCBS 6" dial caliper "on sale" for $37.99 (reg $44.49). It doesn't say so in the ad but one of the product reviews complained that it is made in China.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

DB -

I've had this one for years and it works great.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=604242

Just my personal experience...

Good luck! :D
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Thanks again to all of you guys. The Brown and Sharpe's I ordered from Grizzly came yesterday. Very nice. Glad I sprung for the extra dollars. No way I'm dropping this set. :o - DixieBoy
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Terry Murbach wrote: WHATEVER YOU BUY IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A ONE INCH SETTING STANDARD YOU'LL NEVER KNOW IF THE CALIPER IS GOING SLIGHTLY GOOFY; AND THEY DO !!!!
NEVER NEVER NEVER TRUST ANYTHING THAT IS BATTERY POWERED TO REPEAT ANYTHING. USE A SETTING STANDARD.
Where is a good place to buy one? I was just thinking of this yesterday but didn't think so far as to know one could be purchased. I know I've gotten to where I use my check weights on my powder scales every session.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

I've got the Kolbalt digital from Lowes. $29.95. Had it 4 years now with no problems. It even comes with a spare battery in the case.
It has a zero button and also does metric. Real handy when you can't read the markings on a drill bit anymore.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Mitutoyo
top quality, half the price of B&S
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Sterett is the only brand of precision measuring equipment I use. Billy Sterett Jr. gave me a free set of dial calipers when I was 9 years old in the pits at a hydroplane race and I still use them nearly every day. I've since bought a lot of Sterett products and have only good things to say about them. They are worth the extra cash.

Eric