Adak, Alaska Caribou Hunt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Adak, Alaska Caribou Hunt

Post by stew71 »

Back on the 5th of August, I flew up to Alaska to meet up with my wife's uncle, her cousin, and a friend of theirs on a 1 week caribou hunt out on Adak Island. Needless to say, it was a blast. We had a fantastic hunt and just to simply explore that place was a real treat.

We stayed in a comfortable 3 bedroom home that had been upgraded from one of the old base housing units by a couple that runs a guide and outfitting service on Adak in their spare time. They also provided an old beat-up Navy Jeep Cherokee that we used to get to the various trailheads.

Here's Mike coming down Kulak Street to meet us on the beach soon after we arrived.

"Downtown Adak" from a nearby hilltop.

And from street level.

The abandoned remains of the former westernmost McDonald's in the Western Hemisphere.

This facility was used to eavesdrop on Russian and Chinese naval communications...

On the 1st day, John, Mike, and I hiked out several miles past Betty Lake to an area known as Hiker Pass.

"Let's go find those 'bou, Mike!"

Once we reached the pass, we immediately came across a small herd, out of which I harvested a small female while John bagged 2 large ones. Bull season wasn't to open for a couple of days. I completely forgot to take any pictures of John's kills, and mine was a very bloody neck shot so I decided to spare the non-hunters among us that scene. We hiked out with about 120 lbs of meat that day.

On day 2, John and I decided to take our chances on another area called Husky Pass. Mike's knees were bothering him so he spent the day fly casting for salmon.

This is some steep country, boy.

John took this picture on our way back, hence why you can see the town in the distance. But it gives a good idea of the terrain.

Smile for the camera, John!

Around noon, we spotted a herd across the canyon and decided to put a stalk on 'em. Just after taking this photo, they started circling back towards us, even though the wind was at our backs...

Yours truly picking one out through the scope of my dad's 30-06. I picked a nice female about 150 yards out with her head down.

Suddenly, John spotted another cow wandering along a ledge to our left at about 40 yards. I placed the cross-hairs on her neck and....bingo. I dressed out about 60 lbs of meat from this one.

Winter kill...

On day 3, I decided to take a break from hunting and do some exploring while John and Mike went back out. Uncle Joe decided to take a 4-wheeler out and see what he could find. In his late 60's, his knees couldn't take him overland too well.

Expedition Bay on the other side of the island.

Finger Creek....

Joe and Mike on the way back to the Jeep...

...after John packed this out. His 3rd of the trip. Nice to be an Alaskan resident. They can bag 5 caribou on one tag. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No one hunted on day 4, as John had to leave that day. The rain and fog had decided to sock in the island so we stayed "home" tending to blisters, cleaning up the meat, and reading.

Days 5 and 6 brought more of the same rainy weather that we expected to encounter. However, we were unable to get Mike close enough to a decent bull. The swirling winds put us at a serious disadvantage and the caribou were always just out of range and/or sight. They decided to stay up high on the ridge lines in the fog and rain.

Mike slogging it out...

Here, Joe and Mike are loading up the ATV with the meat from a really nice bull he shot with his .280 Remington.

We were there for a week, and hunted for 4 of those days. Between 4 hunters, we brought home 6 caribou and just under 400 lbs of venison. I think we'll be going back next year!!
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Re: Adak, Alaska Caribou Hunt

Post by harry »

Thanks for sharing that with us. Looks like everyone had a good trip.
Harry
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

wow... that looks like fun!
congrats on your nice pile of venison! :mrgreen:
and some fantastic pics too....

hey ...those aint levers! :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That was quite a time! Very nice looking country
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Looks like a beautiful place to hunt and lots of fun. congrats.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Great trip! Thanks for that and excellent photos
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

86er wrote:Great trip! Thanks for that and excellent photos
I wholly agree. :D
Old Law Dawg
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Thanks for the post and the great pics.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Outstanding photo's :D

Bet the rifles don't make much noise in that terrain! It's vast!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Thanks for the kind remarks, gents. We just processed the 1st batch of jerky using a lovely roast from one of the hindquarters. We used a simple black pepper overnight cure, a handful of hickory chips, and 3 hours in the smoker for some of the best venison jerky I've ever tasted. We also grilled up a portion of one of the backstraps after it was given a light coating of oil and rolled in a spicy maple dry rub. We shared it with our neighbors who've never tasted venison before and they were shocked by the lack of gaminess and the abundance of flavor. The kids thought it was better than steak. I agree!!

We have another 20 lbs or so of meat that's getting ready for a trip to a local butcher shop who makes some fantastic sausage and burgers. For once, I'm letting someone else do the grunt work that's involved in making brats. I'll save my energy to watch them smoke with a cold beer in hand!
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Great Trip!!! Thanks for an Excellent post.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

My grandpa hunted Alaska in the 20s, or the 30s. Unsure now. He talked about it for the rest of his life, sadly I don't remember much now (will ask my dad and uncles what they remember) since I was 13 when he died and the last time he brought it up i remember, i was 10. It's been a bit since then. :)

My uncle (#2 of 5) was a hunter and fisherman his entire life, and he always wanted to 'do' Alaska. He went up once in an RV and another on a moose hunt. Had a .338 custom built, flew in, spent a week and bagged a moose.

I've always wanted to hunt Alaska and/or Africa. Not specific to the animal, caribou, moose, etc (nothing particular in mind at this point) but it looks very interesting.

If I can ask, how much did the trip set you back?

May have to save some pennies.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Alaska is an amazing place to see. I am curious how the plane ride was to Adak.
Hecter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hecter »

Do you know if there are reindeer on Adak island? I understand some of the islands have reindeer and no caribou.
stinson
Levergunner

Post by stinson »

Adak is an eerie place, a modern ghost town. And a good example of government waste - they built a beautiful new high school a few years before the Navy pulled out. I never understood that. You'd think that this would be a strategic location for the military. Anyway, there's no way the native corporation that received all the infrastructure in the photos will be able to maintain it, unless they can attract some giant industry. So it is likely to waste away over time. The military did leave economic opportunity there, though - the place is highly polluted and provides jobs for environmental studies, monitoring, and cleanup. The military has similarly provided jobs all over Alaska.

It's a heck of a long way to go to get yourself a caribou, but travelling to and hunting in the Aleutians are unique experiences, so maybe the cost is justified. Anyone going out to Adak should try to see and photograph the Emperor Geese out there. Stunning, though threatened waterfowl. And not too shy - maybe why they're threatened.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

COOL ! :wink:
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

MrMurphy wrote: If I can ask, how much did the trip set you back?
May have to save some pennies.
The roundtrip flights between Sacramento and Adak came to just under $1500, with the portion between Anchorage and Adak costing the most. I plan to get an Alaskan Airlines VISA so that I can trade in miles towards the flights to ease the pocketbook. The non-resident license and tag put me back $385 while my portion of the food and housing came to around $400. So, it's definitely not a cheap trip by any means. But we're lucky enough to afford it every few years and besides, hunting Alaska is about more than just what it costs. Just hiking the backcountry and hunting in such a place with family and friends is time and money well spent, in my opinion.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

bigbore442001 wrote:Alaska is an amazing place to see. I am curious how the plane ride was to Adak.
Quite comfortable. We flew Alaskan Airlines on a cargo 737. The front half carried shipping containers, while the back half carried about 40 or so passengers. Most were workers going/leaving the cannery or locals coming to the mainland. There were also several members of the Alaskan Dept Fish & Game and US Fish & Wildlife Service on various surveys. One of the scientists from the USF&WS was catching a ride on a Navy survey vessel going to Amchikta Island to monitor the contamination left over from the nuclear testing back in the 60's. She said that it's still "hot" and that we'll be cleaning that place up for decades.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Great report! Looks like you had and outstanding time and a successful hunt to boot! Makes me want to go to Alaska... but I got other things on my plate right now :) I'll just have to be satisfied with whitetail for a while.

And yeah, thanks for the great pics!!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!