Gun screwdrivers?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Gun screwdrivers?

Post by jazman »

I think I remember seeing a thread about this long ago on the old site, but I need the knowledge/advice now. Just received Steve's DVD so my son and I can tweak a Rossi 20 inch I gave him for Christmas. What would be the best gun screwdriver set to buy? Do they have to be "gun" screwdrivers? I don't want junk of course, but also don't want to have to trade the pink slip to the Jeep for one. I sure appreciate any advice. Jim
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Magna-Tip Super Set, best money I have spent!
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... PER%20SETS?
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I use and old Chapman set specifically for guns. The bits are hollow ground so the sides of the blade fit square to the sides of the screw slot. The bits come in various sizes and thicknesses to fit the myriad of screw sizes.

If you don't buy hollow ground screw drivers you WILL muck up the screw slots. Guaranteed.

Midway, Brownells, and many gun shops carry sets of gun type drivers. I'd suggest you peruse their sites and buy the best set you can afford.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I bought the Chapman kit after that thread.
One thing I liked was that I could get to leaf
spring screws between the tangs easier with it.
Just my 2 cents.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Brownells Magna-Tip screwdrivers are the best I have found! :wink:
Spendy but you deserve the best. Buy cheep and you will regret it! :wink:
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Brownells Magna-Tip screwdrivers are the best I have found! :wink:
Spendy but you deserve the best. Buy cheep and you will regret it! :wink:
What he said.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Thanks men, looks like I'll be looking at the Chapman and Magna Tips, and buy the ones I like the best of those two. Jim
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I have been kinda looking for one too. I think I like the look of this one....
Wheeler Engineering 89-peice Profesional-Plus Gunsmithing Screwdriver Set
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Brownells super set. I picked up the 58 pc. master set about 18months ago. What a dream. Run, dont walk and get one. I can not comment on the others but if folks like them I am sure they are quality as well. 1886.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I had a Chapman set, but they were too brittle. I kept breaking tips. I've had good luck with the Brownells bits, although I still snap a few of the very smallest ones. I recently found a set of hollow ground tips at Sears on sell for arond $9.99. So far I haven't broken or bent any of them.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

JB wrote:I had a Chapman set, but they were too brittle. I kept breaking tips. I've had good luck with the Brownells bits, although I still snap a few of the very smallest ones. I recently found a set of hollow ground tips at Sears on sell for arond $9.99. So far I haven't broken or bent any of them.
I have the same problem with Chapman's. I'm tired of replacing tips, so I'm going to buy the Brownell's. 2 machinists and 1 gunsmith that I know gave the Brownell's a "thumbs up".
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

J Miller wrote:I use and old Chapman set specifically for guns. The bits are hollow ground so the sides of the blade fit square to the sides of the screw slot. The bits come in various sizes and thicknesses to fit the myriad of screw sizes.

If you don't buy hollow ground screw drivers you WILL muck up the screw slots. Guaranteed.

Midway, Brownells, and many gun shops carry sets of gun type drivers. I'd suggest you peruse their sites and buy the best set you can afford.

Joe
Excellent advise. I have the Magna-tip from Brownells. Never a failure of the screwdriver...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

J Miller wrote:The bits are hollow ground
What exactly is hollow grinding? I've always seen this referred to on 'smithing screwdrivers but I've never known what it meant. Is it a process or a tool that's used?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

awp101, it is simply the way the tip of the screwdriver/bit is ground. Regular screw drivers are flat ground, the angle is a straight taper to the tip. Hollow ground are ground with an inward curve to the tip, making the screwdriver/bit fit square in the screw slot, much harder for the tip to booger up a screw slot.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

OK, so it's the process used. Thanks! :D
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have two sets of the Magna Tips from Brownell's. But agree w/ Joe; peruse them all.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!